Is Cyrus Kouandjio Still a Bust?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about the other stuff, like knee-jerk reaction that a guy would never improve, crappy coaching by Maroon, you know, all the arguments to which the answers are: EJ sucks, he always sucked, he always will suck.

This will be EJ's fourth season in the NFL. While it's possible he will improve, would you bet on it? Do you think any teams will offer him a big contract to come in and compete for a starting job after this season?

He has seemingly won the swing tackle job and I now feel less terrified about the tackle depth than I did. That said, a 3rd year player picked in the 2nd round who is only your swing tackle? That's a bust in my eyes. Doesn't mean he is useless, but he is a bust.

He has seemingly won the swing tackle job and I now feel less terrified about the tackle depth than I did. That said, a 3rd year player picked in the 2nd round who is only your swing tackle? That's a bust in my eyes. Doesn't mean he is useless, but he is a bust.

What's the percentage of full time starters in round 2?

A reliable swing tackle (if he ends up that) must be about middle of the pack in terms of success.

What's the percentage of full time starters in round 2?

A reliable swing tackle (if he ends up that) must be about middle of the pack in terms of success.

Fair. It is probably not as high as one might think it should be. If he ends up that and we can afford to re-sign him and he spends another 3 or 4 years as a reliable swing tackle I suppose that goes down as a sort of success?

It's good to see that he can contribute, even if it wasn't was he was drafted for. I still want to see Henderson back at LT. I think that's his natural position. But not necessarily as a replacement for Cordy.

There is sometimes a weird, knee-jerk reaction to players that makes the absurd assumption that a player won't improve from year to year. In Kujo's rookie year, he was the youngest player on the team (IIRC), was overwhelmed, and poorly coached under Marrone. His line coach called him "Venus De Milo" to his face. Then, in his first offseason, he worked tirelessly to improve, joined an O-line camp, and fully committed himself to his position. (What would K. Williams look like right now if he had the same offseason work ethic?) And, he was clearly improved last season. So, why should we assume that he had reached his ceiling?

Kujo kicked ass today. Hell no, he's not a bust.

He played many plays well. But, he did get beat when EJ came in and EJ was blindsided....of course, TT would step out of the way, but EJ was clueless and got wiped out......still, it was on Kujo. Also, when the Bills went for 2 after the third TD......TT had to call timeout....as Kujo was not on the field......leaving TT to spot there was not left tackle. So, 23, a third year pro...and his head not yet in the game so to speak. Still, he does look much better than I expected this summer. And, I would not rule out the bad knee theory about his best position. Of course, we have CG......and, moving CG to right tackle to make room for Kujo seems nuts to me as has been suggested elsewhere. Still, we might have a better line overall if we did that. I am guessing Kujo will play out his rookie contract here and be gone..who knows where.

Edited by bigK14094

He can't play rt his knee won't allow it[/quote

This is such a bs thing! To say he can play one side and not the other due to his knee high s silly.

Tasker made a comment in the first preseason game related to this, which I'm sure is what the poster is referring to. Something like the LT position allows him to get his initial step with his good leg/knee. Don't know to what extent it's true.

He can't play rt his knee won't allow it[/quote

This is such a bs thing! To say he can play one side and not the other due to his knee high s silly.

One person who made this observation was Steve Tasker on WGR. He stated that he believed that his knee condition was a factor in not being able to play as well on the right side as well as the left side. Is he right that his knee issue is a factor in the disparity of play between the right side and left? I simply don't know. What I do know is that Kujo clearly plays better as a LT. On the right side he seems to be slower and more sluggish as a player.