Is the defense truly improving, or a byproduct of preseason?

Rubes

So far in the first two preseason games, it looks like the Bills defense is playing very well. Extremely stout against the run, not giving up much yardage or points. I believe I read somewhere that the first 6 drives by both Indianapolis and the Giants resulted in 46 total yards (each). They're allowing very few first downs, and very low third down conversion percentage.

They also are passing the eyeball test, at least by these two eyes.

That appears to be the case despite all of the defensive starters being replaced by backups. They've had unexpectedly good productivity by several backup defensive linemen and linebackers, not to mention some of the backup CBs and safeties.

The question is: is this is a true improvement, or just a byproduct of the preseason?

Discuss.

Edited by Rubes

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It's only pre-season, but is the defense really playing better or do the Giants just really suck?

Three things I see as different.

Mario Williams is gone and maybe he had even a bigger negative impact than anyone on the outside realized.

Don't laugh but Rob Ryans presence may be helping in that he actually understands what rEx wants to do where as I don't think Thurman did, so Rex had to try and play DC in addition to HC. I also think Rob's presence could help in that he likely won't be at all afraid to tell Rex, your idea sucks!

Players have a year of learning the D under their belt.

To me preseason means nothing. That said, to me by far the biggest problem last year was not talent or scheme but the calls came in late, the players had to think too much, they weren't ready at the snap or know their assignments. Everyone on the team has said they are much more prepared and I think that alone is an enormous difference.

That said, I blame that all on Rex last year. The calls came in late all the time. Players were running around pointing right as the ball was snapped over and over and often were a split second late

So far in the first two preseason games, it looks like the Bills defense is playing very well. Extremely stout against the run, not giving up much yardage or points. I believe I read somewhere that the first 6 drives by both Indianapolis and the Giants resulted in 46 total yards (each). They're allowing very few first downs, and very low third down conversion percentage.

They also are passing the eyeball test, at least by these two eyes.

That appears to be the case despite all of the defensive starters being replaced by backups. They've had unexpectedly good productivity by several backup defensive linemen and linebackers, not to mention some of the backup CBs and safeties.

The question is: is this is a true improvement, or just a byproduct of the preseason?

Discuss.

To a certain extent we need to withhold judgment. The offensive and defensive packages are very basic so communication is not being pressed as much.

However:

1) Hughes looks poised to have a dominant season.

2) Gilmore seems to have an extra level of swagger this season.

3) It's obvious that we have a lot of depth in the secondary.

I don't know how much to make of the defense being "all in" this year. But guys like Corbin Bryant, Adolphus Washington, Jerel Worthy, Zach Brown, Lorenzo Alexander, etc. don't have a 19M malcontent in their ear, and they aren't resting on their laurels from 2014.

Edited by Flip Johnson

I have to say, I was probably most impressed by the job that was done by those 2nd and 3rd string defensive linemen. There were consistently getting into the backfield and stuffing run plays. Obviously not much game planning there, but still nice to see those guys consistently winning their one-on-one matches.

I have to say, I was probably most impressed by the job that was done by those 2nd and 3rd string defensive linemen. There were consistently getting into the backfield and stuffing run plays. Obviously not much game planning there, but still nice to see those guys consistently winning their one-on-one matches.

Nice that they weren't two gap hangin' out. ATTACK!

To me preseason means nothing. That said, to me by far the biggest problem last year was not talent or scheme but the calls came in late, the players had to think too much, they weren't ready at the snap or know their assignments. Everyone on the team has said they are much more prepared and I think that alone is an enormous difference.

That said, I blame that all on Rex last year. The calls came in late all the time. Players were running around pointing right as the ball was snapped over and over and often were a split second late

Yeah exactly. I don't think enough people understand that a play is really a subset of like 10 plays all of which are slightly different based on formations and alignments(on both sides of the ball). So what an individual assignment is varies on each of those to some degree. This is how people aren't on the same page...maybe one guy reads one thing where another guy reads something else.

For instance, maybe in one alignment Hughes is supposed to attack the outside shoulder of his player while in another he is supposed to cover a back leaking out. If he reads wrong and attacks when he is supposed to be covering a back, now you have a wide open RB on the play...or if the offense shifts at the last second and guys are confused as to what they should do on the play and take an extra split second to think about it, then they get beat...now imagine if this was happening with 2 or 3 players every play AND then factor in Mario didn't give a crap. You can see how they would look bad...they were constantly out of position last year it looked like.

It only takes one guy to screw up for a big gain to happen. From all the reports even coming in from mini camp communication was 10 times better so it's not surprising to see this. His scheme works well when people understand and execute it properly.

Edited by matter2003

certainly the communication was an issue, but the Bills have not been good at stopping the run in a very long time. I think that is the biggest difference, and IF it carries into the season, the D will be top 10.

I used to think all defenses live and die by the effectiveness of the front four, but in most of Rex's packages the key seems to be the D-backs. Gilmore, Darby, Robey and Seymour is an impressive group of corners. Physical, fast ball hawkers that force qb's to go to the checkdowns a lot. Makes the front 7 look great

I used to think all defenses live and die by the effectiveness of the front four, but in most of Rex's packages the key seems to be the D-backs. Gilmore, Darby, Robey and Seymour is an impressive group of corners. Physical, fast ball hawkers that force qb's to go to the checkdowns a lot. Makes the front 7 look great

The defense looks more organized, and the pre-snap communication seems to be improved. Last season, watching the opposing offenses snap the football before our defense was even set was very frustrating.

yes, no more turning heads and arm flapping by the members of the D at the time of the snap. Better communication, less thinking more reaction, even Spikes was a whole lot better than a week ago against the Colts.