(OT) For posters in SoCal, Arizona or Vegas

Like A Mofo

Not sure if this was posted before....but seems that evertime I pop on the Weather Channel....California (especially SoCal) and Arizona and even Las Vegas for that matter seem to be getitng hit with a lot of rain....everything ok with any wallers here in these affected areas???  Is it as bad as the news portrays it?

248712[/snapback]

Nothing to worry about. Ruth Curry of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution says that global warming is causing droughts in the U.S. West. From Reuters.

Listen, genius....If anyone was NOT OK, then they wouldn't be able to respond to you

Get a brain

248961[/snapback]

Thanks for adding so much intellect to this thread.

Maybe Im not just asking about the POSTER, I cannot be concerned about the poster's family members or friends?

Idiot.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

I must admit, I've never seen it rain out here this much and just not stop. It's nothing that other parts of the country haven't seen, it's just not that common to have so much of it here.

L.A. drivers are idiots in the rain. Pretty good drivers (if fast) normally, but seem to think that you should speed up when it's raining, you know, so you get home faster...

Biggest problems are really due to the fact things weren't built to handle a crapload of rain all at once. Especially around hills, where shortage of land/views means you pack as many houses on a hill as you can. Unsuprisingly this leads to unstable hillsides which can give way when soaked.

Most of the flooding that I've seen here shows up in the first big downpour. (see last month) Since it basically doesn't rain 10 months of the year some of the drainage systems get clogged with dirt and crap. It doesn't take too much to cause it to be jammed shut and overflow everywhere.

The road that I drive home everyday here in Long Beach floods every year to a depth of 1 to 1 1/2 feet deep in the middle of the road. But since it's been raining pretty much nonstop it's actually clear right now! woot! (I drive a little Miata)

The only thing I expect to see is maybe some more mudslides with the ground being sooo drenched. Especially along the coast (1 & 101 freeways).

But safe around here! Just wet.

??

This weekend in the Buffalo News they had a quote from a reporter of The Arizona Rebublic about things being not to bad in Phoenix except for that citiznes faced a gasoline shotrage, danger to the electric supply, a major natural gas shut down, and a boil to drink water order!!!

I guess that's better than our taxpayer revolt we got going on here in Bills Land.

248952[/snapback]

Thats true, all of it.

A little over a year ago, one of the two major pipelines bringing in Gasoline to Phoenix ruptured, and had to be shut down. Gas prices skyrocketed to as high as 4.50 a gallon and averaged about 2.50 a gallon from around 1.50. Gas lines were 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile long, and most stations were out of gas more than they had gas. This lasted for about 2 weeks. Prices have never been below 1.75 since...

Last July 4th, in the space of 2 weeks, there were 3 huge transformer fires, knocking out power to 10's of thousands. (temps in low 110's with no AC is :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: , so i went golfing <_< ) There was some talk about Terrorism, and I personally saw about 6 Homeland security vans near one of the fires on the local news and on the roads near my house. Final verdict was not terrorism, but was still scary.

And in the last two months there was a Natural gasline rupture, (not a supply line for the city, just a local line for a neighborhood, but still left thousands without Gas) and the phoenix water was ruled unsafe to drink because of "sediment". With all the rain we have had, the runoff overwhelmed the water treatment facility because one of the plants was shut down at the time for maintenance. Both the gasline and the water supply were fixed in a couple days...

The local talk radio guys were having a field day discussing all the bad luck we have had recently....

But all things considered, it isn't too bad for a guy who survived 10 days snowed in a mobile home during the Blizzard of '77 in Albion.... :blink:

But all things considered, it isn't too bad for a guy who survived 10 days snowed in a mobile home during the Blizzard of '77 in Albion.... <_<

The Blizzard. What a fun time. We, the kids from my hood, did not stay in our houses, we went out in it and had some fun. I remember there was so much snow in front of the Ralph we were walking on top of semis and could not even see them. We found a way to get up on top of the roof of ECC south and jump off 2 stories in to the the huge drifts.

I had the crack Orchard Park police come to my house and say I stole meat out of truck. I let them go on with the story and when they were done, my mom said I was home the day of the theft, which I was. Try again smoe.

When they cleaned up Abbott road in front of the stadium, the high lift's bucket was so big it was picking up cars along with the snow.

The good old days, this winter has been weak on the snow, Darn El Nino!!!

But all things considered, it isn't too bad for a guy who survived 10 days snowed in a mobile home during the Blizzard of '77 in Albion....  ;)

The Blizzard. What a fun time. We, the kids from my hood, did not stay in our houses, we went out in it and had some fun. I remember there was so much snow in front of the Ralph we were walking on top of semis and could not even see them. We found a way to get up on top of the roof of ECC south and jump off 2 stories in to the the huge drifts.

I had the crack Orchard Park police come to my house and say I stole meat out of truck. I let them go on with the story and when they were done, my mom said I was home the day of the theft, which I was. Try again smoe.

When they cleaned up Abbott road in front of the stadium, the high lift's bucket was so big it was picking up cars along with the snow.

The good old days, this winter has been weak on the snow, Darn El Nino!!!

249313[/snapback]

We lived in the Country, and when they finally got around to our road, the drifts they made were like 25' high. I remember throwing snowballs DOWN on top of the buses and semi's as they drove bye...I had like 2 weeks off school, what a blast. Until I realized I had to attend school until june whatever to make up snow days ;)