25 years ago, today

Fixxxer

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/metallicas-black-album-10-things-you-didnt-know-w433976

Colloquially known as the Black Album, Metallica's self-titled fifth album still towers over the modern hard-rock and metal landscape like a giant obsidian monolith. Released 25 years ago today, Metallica – which sold more than 650,000 copies in its first week of release, and spent four consecutive weeks at the top of the Billboard 200 in the late summer of 1991 – has gone on to sell over 16 million copies in the U.S. alone, making it the best-selling album of the last quarter-century. And while it's hard to believe that there is a headbanger alive who doesn't already own it, the album continues to outpace most new metal releases in terms of sales, moving an average of 5,000 copies a week.

The black album was released.

:thumbsup:

Although when I heard Enter Sandman for the first time on the radio, I was like that was great who is this ? they said Metallica and then I was like :(:(. Took em til Death Magnetic to get back to their roots. :w00t::w00t:

Dang 5000 copies a week, that good money if you can get it, especially in todays download age.

And Justice For All was by far my favorite, so Black album was a big letdown for me.

That's my favorite too and I was expecting more of that with the black album, true, but still is an amazing album.

You know, I was thinking about other albums that came out around the same time:

Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power

Megadeth: Countdown to Extinction

Alice in Chains: Dirt

Clutch: Passive Restraints

It's easy to see why Black album underwhelmed

And this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Lucidity

BEFORE (Empire) the Metallica album.

It came to mind because I just heard "Jet City Woman" on the radio early this morning when I was locking a tow.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois