Don't sleep on Glass Goodwin--making a good impression

Every year??

OK now I'm sure you're joking. Well played.

Not joking. He's shown, in live game situations, to be able to consistently beat the press. He's not just a track guy playing football, which was your original point and the one I take issue with. He's a football player who's shown all the skills you'd want to see from your burner but one: durability. If he can stay healthy, he's going to be a factor in this offense.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not joking. He's shown, in live game situations, to be able to consistently beat the press. He's not just a track guy playing football, which was your original point and the one I take issue with. He's a football player who's shown all the skills you'd want to see from your burner but one: durability. If he can stay healthy, he's going to be a factor in this offense.

If he consistently is beating the press, is open and can catch the ball, why has he had only 11 looks in the past 2 years in games that he HAS been healthy for?

When he is healthy, why was he not a factor before?

Goodwin had a career season (his only meaningful contribution, in fact) under Marrone!

Try again.

I don't need to. My point has been made. You're just arguing to argue. There are plenty of factors as to why he hasn't contributed more, the primary one being his own inability to stay on the field. Having a Pop Warner offense and suspect QBs didn't help things, let's see what happens this year with an actual NFL coordinator calling plays.

No one who has paid attention to what Goodwin has actually done on the field doubts his ability to be a WR in the league and more than just a "track guy". That's a lazy analysis to make because it's easy and inaccurate. Truth is he can be an impact player... if he can stay healthy. I hope he does because the Bills sure could use him.

So he actually stayed on the field

He was on the field the next year as well. 1 catch.

I'll believe the legend when it becomes reality. The point is that there are likely guys fighting for a roster spot that are far better investments. Goodwin, despite your argument otherwise, has simply not proven he is a good use of a roster spot.

The point was, in the 10 gems he played in, he caught 1 pass (hey, where are the "extrapolators"?!)

That is a very good question for Mr Hackett, and IIRC that question was asked - a lot - every single week.

I remember thinking Goodwin was Roscoe part 2. Then I went to a late season Bills game against the Jets a few years ago. EJ started and his top 2 Wrs were Goodwin and Graham. And we murdered the Jets (I forget who their coach was). And Goodwin looked like a complete receiver who could run every route.

The guy is super talented. But he is a small human being. It's laughable how so many "tough" guys question his heart. The fact a guy that small can make it to the pros in the first place is amazing. But it is really hard to count on him.

He was on the field the next year as well. 1 catch.

I'll believe the legend when it becomes reality. The point is that there are likely guys fighting for a roster spot that are far better investments. Goodwin, despite your argument otherwise, has simply not proven he is a good use of a roster spot.

No one is making the claim regarding his legendary play. That is your typical way of being dismissive. Goodwin has one special trait: world class speed. Is it worth gambling on his durability as an end of the roster receiver? Absolutely. If he can't stay healthy then what is lost by replacing him with another end of the roster receiver?

What I find cautionary about him (not exclusionary) is that he trained for the Olympics this past offseason instead of altering his training regimen for football. But I still find it worthwhile to give him a chance to solidify a roster spot. What's the harm in giving him another serious look?

No one is making the claim regarding his legendary play. That is your typical way of being dismissive. Goodwin has one special trait: world class speed. Is it worth gambling on his durability as an end of the roster receiver? Absolutely. If he can't stay healthy then what is lost by replacing him with another end of the roster receiver?

What I find cautionary about him (not exclusionary) is that he trained for the Olympics this past offseason instead of altering his training regimen for football. But I still find it worthwhile to give him a chance to solidify a roster spot. What's the harm in giving him another serious look?

Good point on gambling with his talent and just replacing him with another guy. We always go crazy about these preseason Wrs but the truth is the end of the roster Wrs are interchangeable.

And I think Goodwin could just juice and eat nothing but protein all offseason and it won't matter. Staying healthy is a skill and he's a small guy in a big man sport.

There isn't any, especially when he's clearly been earning it on the field in camp thus far.

Good point on gambling with his talent and just replacing him with another guy. We always go crazy about these preseason Wrs but the truth is the end of the roster Wrs are interchangeable.

And I think Goodwin could just juice and eat nothing but protein all offseason and it won't matter. Staying healthy is a skill and he's a small guy in a big man sport.

Goodwin is never going to be a high volume receiver. But he is the type of player when on the field, even as a role player, affects the game because he is a threat. The bottom line is that Goodwin will demonstrate whether he can stay on the field or not. If he can't stay healthy then the team moves on.

The Bills have a qb who throws a beautiful long ball. Out of hand dismissing a receiver whose forte is running the long routes would be a mistake. If Fitz was our qb properly utilizing Goodwin would be futile. That certainly isn't the case with TT taking the snaps.

Goodwin is never going to be a high volume receiver. But he is the type of player when on the field, even as a role player, affects the game because he is a threat. The bottom line is that Goodwin will demonstrate whether he can stay on the field or not. If he can't stay healthy then the team moves on.

The Bills have a qb who throws a beautiful long ball. Out of hand dismissing a receiver whose forte is running the long routes would be a mistake. If Fitz was our qb properly utilizing Goodwin would be futile. That certainly isn't the case with TT taking the snaps.

Good points. I do think Goodwin runs the whole route tree better than most people realize. Of course, those routes led to more chance for injuries.

We've covered "guys with world class speed" already. There have been a ton of low 40 sprinters come and go in the league at WR. This gift is not unique to him and is also shared by many of the guys who cover him.

Has this guy not gotten a "serious look"?? He's been on the roster 3 years already and has absolutely proven that he cannot be counted on to be worthy of a spot. I'm not sure how it could be more clear that swapping him out for another low guy on the depth chart is unlikely to be a worse roster move this off season than keeping a guy who has proven not physically fit for this game.

Let's try something different: why would anyone think that, this year, he will again be injured and miss a bunch of games? Why is that a logical conclusion?

We've covered "guys with world class speed" already. There have been a ton of low 40 sprinters come and go in the league at WR. This gift is not unique to him and is also shared by many of the guys who cover him.

Has this guy not gotten a "serious look"?? He's been on the roster 3 years already and has absolutely proven that he cannot be counted on to be worthy of a spot. I'm not sure how it could be more clear that swapping him out for another low guy on the depth chart is unlikely to be a worse roster move this off season than keeping a guy who has proven not physically fit for this game.

Let's try something different: why would anyone think that, this year, he will again be injured and miss a bunch of games? Why is that a logical conclusion?

We have to get you in touch with the Pegulas so they can let you run the show.

We have to get you in touch with the Pegulas so they can let you run the show.

It's a simple question really. Give it a shot.

But if you are going to set me up with the one running the show, then you I would be happy to get Kim's number!

Edited by Mr. WEO

It's a simple question really. Give it a shot.

But if you are going to set me up with the one running the show, then you I would be happy to get Kim's number!

The question has been addressed by many in this very thread. You happen to disagree and think he shouldn't be on the 90 with another chance to prove his worth. We all get it.

The question has been addressed by many in this very thread. You happen to disagree and think he shouldn't be on the 90 with another chance to prove his worth. We all get it.

No one has stated why they think he will not miss a lot go games this year, and therefore should be given a spot. That's why I'm asking.

No one has stated why they think he will not miss a lot go games this year, and therefore should be given a spot. That's why I'm asking.

No one has a crystal ball to say one way or another and he's not being "given" anything beyond another shot.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz