Hall of Fame Game Canceled

Chilly

The NFL has many decades experience with playing fields, how in the world could they screw this up ?

I read that the Hall of Fame is separate from the NFL and it was their lone responsibilty. How lame! They have one game a year and they screw it up?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL can't get the field right to play the game. Really sucks for the end of roster guys trying to make the teams, and I was definitely looking forward to some football tonight.

Link to Schefter: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/762422471144251392

Definitely wanted to watch some football

I read that the Hall of Fame is separate from the NFL and it was their lone responsibilty. How lame! They have one game a year and they screw it up?

+1000

like I said already, what's more important, a meaningless game that will likely be overshadowed by the Olympics (ratings wise) or playing the game on a field with wet paint and possibly getting players injured(not because of the paint but the nature of the game)?

I bet they would have gotten better ratings than tonight's Olympics

i haven't watched or won't watch any of the olympics. the only reason i realized it was on was because there was some tabloid about scandal for the gymnastics team.

?

I blame Whaley.

it was Nix

You don't think the nfl has any oversight on a venue they play a football game in?

No, why would they? They are a client booking the place for an event, essentially. They should expect the venue to be ready for its one event of the year.

No, why would they? They are a client booking the place for an event, essentially. They should expect the venue to be ready for its one event of the year.

Maybe that's why the NFLPA cares - a lot:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/27/nfl-nflpa-establish-a-field-surface-and-performance-committee/

"King notes that, as part of the agreement, the NFLPA’s designated field consultant “will be granted equal access to all NFL playing fields and field test results,” which expressly includes “non-traditional venues (e.g., London, Mexico City, Hall of Fame Game).”

The union has been concerned for several years about the quality of the playing surfaces, but the union hasn’t had an equal seat at the table. It now does.

The agreement extends beyond the actual playing surface, which as Reggie Bush learned the hard way in St. Louis last year can create separate problems. By the eighth game of the 2016 season (and ideally sooner), all stadiums hosting NFL games must have “standard safety wall padding and a surface surrounding the field that is safe for players.”"

Edited by WotAGuy

In general, NFL leases work like this: In some stadiums, the city is responsible for maintenance of the field - with approval & oversight by the NFL, and penalties built into the lease if standards are not met. In others, it's the team. Either way, the NFL agreements place them more as a partner than as a client.

The NFL also licenses usage of the NFL brand and logos to the Hall of Fame, and with that comes additional oversight agreements, including for the preseason game.

The NFL and NFLPA did multiple inspections on the field leading up to the game, including the morning of the game, and passed the field. At some point after, apparently, paint was added to the field and caused the issues, and the NFL wasn't aware until two hours before kickoff.

As a partner, the NFL and HOF together set protocols for how gameday is going to go, and those protocols failed. Both deserve a share of the blame.

Maybe that's why the NFLPA cares - a lot:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/27/nfl-nflpa-establish-a-field-surface-and-performance-committee/

"King notes that, as part of the agreement, the NFLPA’s designated field consultant “will be granted equal access to all NFL playing fields and field test results,” which expressly includes “non-traditional venues (e.g., London, Mexico City, Hall of Fame Game).”

The union has been concerned for several years about the quality of the playing surfaces, but the union hasn’t had an equal seat at the table. It now does.

The agreement extends beyond the actual playing surface, which as Reggie Bush learned the hard way in St. Louis last year can create separate problems. By the eighth game of the 2016 season (and ideally sooner), all stadiums hosting NFL games must have “standard safety wall padding and a surface surrounding the field that is safe for players.”"

If only their floor mat policy were more comprehensive.

The NFL's protocol didn't fail, it suceeded. The responsible party was not able to present a usable field at game time. The NFL's protocol prevented the game from being played as a usable surface wasn't present.

Some of you with the everything ever is Goodell's fault really need to take a step back.

In general, NFL leases work like this: In some stadiums, the city is responsible for maintenance of the field - with approval & oversight by the NFL, and penalties built into the lease if standards are not met. In others, it's the team. Either way, the NFL agreements place them more as a partner than as a client.

The NFL also licenses usage of the NFL brand and logos to the Hall of Fame, and with that comes additional oversight agreements, including for the preseason game.

The NFL and NFLPA did multiple inspections on the field leading up to the game, including the morning of the game, and passed the field. At some point after, apparently, paint was added to the field and caused the issues, and the NFL wasn't aware until two hours before kickoff.

As a partner, the NFL and HOF together set protocols for how gameday is going to go, and those protocols failed. Both deserve a share of the blame.

As Jeremy said. The NFL acted appropriately in their oversight role. They had nothing to do with the physical failure of the condition of the field. That's on the people who set it up snd maintain it. The NFL stepped in and said it wasn't playable. Not their fault

As Jeremy said. The NFL acted appropriately in their oversight role. They had nothing to do with the physical failure of the condition of the field. That's on the people who set it up snd maintain it. The NFL stepped in and said it wasn't playable. Not their fault

I get your point, but it's just another event that makes Goodell look foolish imo. The league can micromanage players off field behavior, yet they can't oversee the condition of the field for a big event? There was nothing wrong with the field as a whole. The problem was decal on the center of the field. If someone would have had the sense to halt the painting of the decal, and simply play with a faded one the game would have gone on as planned. I wouldn't remotely blame the league if this had been cancelled more promptly. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The NFL's protocol didn't fail, it suceeded. The responsible party was not able to present a usable field at game time. The NFL's protocol prevented the game from being played as a usable surface wasn't present.

Some of you with the everything ever is Goodell's fault really need to take a step back.

It's both. The NFL made the correct decision to not play the game. However, the NFL giving an "all-clear" to a playing surface, then having the playing surface changed and be unusable two hours before kickoff indicates, at a minimum, a failure in partnership between the NFL and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

If I'm running an event, it's the day of the event, and one of my partners/vendors changes something without my knowledge or oversight, I didn't do a good enough job. If I'm running an event, I know about and approve the change, and that happens, I didn't do a good enough job.

These things don't happen independently.

I get your point, but it's just another event that makes Goodell look foolish imo. The league can micromanage players off field behavior, yet they can't oversee the condition of the field for a big event? There was nothing wrong with the field as a whole. The problem was decal on the center of the field. If someone would have had the sense to halt the painting of the decal, and simply play with a faded one the game would have gone on as planned. I wouldn't remotely blame the league if this had been cancelled more promptly.

Not sure how many different ways to explain that the NFL's only role here was deciding the HOF screwed up and rendered the filed unplayable. It's not their responsibility in any way to prepare the field--only that is is playable. It's a venue.

Maybe this will help you:

According to several sources familiar with the field preparation, things went awry after the subsequent painting of logos in the middle of the field and in the end zones on Sunday. Improper paint may have been used, and when it did not seem to be drying quickly enough, someone apparently made the dubious decision to heat the field in an effort to dry it — thus melting the rubber pellets inside the FieldTurf and creating a slick, sticky and (in Baker’s words) “congealed” effect.

At one point about 2.5 hours before the game, stadium workers applied a substance that appeared to be paint thinner in an effort to remedy the issue. However, according to a Packers source, one Green Bay employee noticed a label that warned of severe burns when exposed to skin and took a photo of it, showing it to others after the teams later retreated to their respective locker rooms.

It's both. The NFL made the correct decision to not play the game. However, the NFL giving an "all-clear" to a playing surface, then having the playing surface changed and be unusable two hours before kickoff indicates, at a minimum, a failure in partnership between the NFL and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

If I'm running an event, it's the day of the event, and one of my partners/vendors changes something without my knowledge or oversight, I didn't do a good enough job. If I'm running an event, I know about and approve the change, and that happens, I didn't do a good enough job.

These things don't happen independently.

See above. When they said the filed was OK, it's not their fault when someone subsequently screws up.