Skurski: Projected 53 After the Intra-Squad Scrimmage

I'd swap out Boykin for Goodwin at this point.... Marquise can't stay healthy, doesn't catch well away from his body, and can't fight for balls in traffic... LOVE the speed... In the end, however, it's been largely worthless. -CUT!

I'd swap out Boykin for Goodwin at this point.... Marquise can't stay healthy, doesn't catch well away from his body, and can't fight for balls in traffic... LOVE the speed... In the end, however, it's been largely worthless. -CUT!

The health is obviously an issue, but I thought Goodwin actually had pretty good hands. Such a small sample size since his rookie season, granted, but I recall him making a few godo catches away from his body and in traffic in that one Jets game he started. It seems silly to bring up a three-years-past game to make a point, but I remember it being the game where I thought to myself "maybe Goodwin really is a football player."

Anyhow this 53 is already off because of the Spikes signing. I rather liked Butler last season and it sounds like Corey White struggled. Maybe we'll see Butler keep his spot.

The health is obviously an issue, but I thought Goodwin actually had pretty good hands. Such a small sample size since his rookie season, granted, but I recall him making a few godo catches away from his body and in traffic in that one Jets game he started. It seems silly to bring up a three-years-past game to make a point, but I remember it being the game where I thought to myself "maybe Goodwin really is a football player."

Anyhow this 53 is already off because of the Spikes signing. I rather liked Butler last season and it sounds like Corey White struggled. Maybe we'll see Butler keep his spot.

Injuries have made his entire career a limited sample size, as far as I'm concerned... Since 2013 he's had a paltry 3TD's and 20 catches for less than 350 yards! What exactly do you see there Big C?

Injuries have made his entire career a limited sample size, as far as I'm concerned... Since 2013 he's had a paltry 3TD's and 20 catches for less than 350 yards! What exactly do you see there Big C?

I saw what I said I saw! I'm not disagreeing with your overall impression that Goodwin can't cut it at the NFL level, but I don't think we know for sure just yet and I don't think it's because he has poor hands. I think his speed is deadly enough, especially in our offense, that he may warrant a spot over a guy like Boykin. Plus, reports are that he looked great in the scrimmage. As far as I'm concerned he is still somewhat of an unknown. If we cut him, another team will pick him up for his raw abilities alone. Maybe he gets hurt again, maybe he stays healthy and plays a few more years until he loses his speed. We'll see.

For a serious playoff run, This regime should do it's best to limit the question marks on offense... Even if Boykin is slower, I'll take his height over Goodwin's speed, perpetual absence, and fragility...

Oh, and Major Kudos for incorporating a Denny Green shout-out with your post...Gone too soon for sure.

I saw what I said I saw! I'm not disagreeing with your overall impression that Goodwin can't cut it at the NFL level, but I don't think we know for sure just yet and I don't think it's because he has poor hands. I think his speed is deadly enough, especially in our offense, that he may warrant a spot over a guy like Boykin. Plus, reports are that he looked great in the scrimmage. As far as I'm concerned he is still somewhat of an unknown. If we cut him, another team will pick him up for his raw abilities alone. Maybe he gets hurt again, maybe he stays healthy and plays a few more years until he loses his speed. We'll see.

My 53 after the most recent signings:

QB: Taylor/Manuel/Jones.

RB: McCoy/Bush/Gillislee/J. Williams,

FB: Felton.

TE: Clay/Dray.

WR: Watkins/Woods/Little/Hankerson/Goodwin/Salas.

OT: Glenn/Mills/Henderson/C. Martin.

OG: Incognito/Miller

OC: Wood/Velasco.

K: Carpenter.

P: Schmidt.

LS: Sanborn.

DL: K. Williams/Dareus/Washington/Bryant/Worthy/Hughes/M. Lawson/Douzable/Enemkpali/Alexander.

LB: P. Brown/Ragland/Spikes/Hawthorne/Z. Brown/Striker.

CB: Gilmore/Darby/Robey-Coleman/Moore/White/Seymour.

S: A. Williams/Graham/Blanton/Anderson.

DL Sh. Lawson/RB K. Williams, and WR/ST M. Easley get added after Game #4.

Goodwin is playing for that second contract now.

When asked about football that is the first thing he talks about......not winning or playing great or being a good teammate.........getting that second contract.

So I think he is as motivated now as he ever will be.

His hop dreams have been obliterated.........that career is over........and the free guaranteed NFL paychecks stopped last year so it's now or never.

Goodwin is playing for that second contract now.

When asked about football that is the first thing he talks about......not winning or playing great or being a good teammate.........getting that second contract.

So I think he is as motivated now as he ever will be.

His hop dreams have been obliterated.........that career is over........and the free guaranteed NFL paychecks stopped last year so it's now or never.

I don't care how motivated Goodwin THINKS he is... The reality is that he's had YEARS to show it, and hasn't... What's his excuse going to be this year? Ribs? -Hammy?... Too hot outside to practice? For crying out loud, Poop, or yield the pot to somebody with a hot one coming down...

Disappointing to have to drop Kouandjio as a wasted 2nd round pick but you have to go with your best players. I wish they would do that with the QB position and at least try and find a better backup than EJ.

I don't care how motivated Goodwin THINKS he is... The reality is that he's had YEARS to show it, and hasn't... What's his excuse going to be this year? Ribs? -Hammy?... Too hot outside to practice? For crying out loud, Poop, or yield the pot to somebody with a hot one coming down...

That's the point.......he had the freedom to make excuses before because he was a high draft pick with elite speed playing on a minimum wage type contract.

If the Bills had cut him in any of those first three years he would have found work for the same money or more....immediately.

His low-pay contract was essentially a dis-incentive to do anything prior to his walk year.

Only now is he under pressure to produce or lose that paycheck.

My contention has been that he has nursed injuries that more motivated players would have played thru because he needed to be in peak physical health/condition to compete against other non-contact sport athletes in the Olympics.

Goodwin isn't getting cut, coaches love him. Boykin has shown not much of anything

Goodwin isn't getting cut, coaches love him. Boykin has shown not much of anything

The reports I have read suggest Boykin doesn't appear to have the playbook down. If he makes the 53 at this point I will be surprised. The way I see the receiver shake up at this point is:

1. Watkins; 2. Woods; 3. Salas; 4. Little; 5. Lewis; 6. Goodwin.

And the 6th spot is in jeopardy as soon as Easley is healthy and ready to go.

I personally think the only issue with Goodwin is his health. He has shown some really good ability catching over the middle of the field, and he can fly. I think the kid is talented, but the health is a big issue.

I think Boykin has shown way less in the NFL and I keep hearing reports of him dropping balls in our camp. No thanks.

Edited by Chilly

The reports I have read suggest Boykin doesn't appear to have the playbook down. If he makes the 53 at this point I will be surprised. The way I see the receiver shake up at this point is:

this aligns with my early opinion

I tend to agree that Salas is probably the most reliable receiver after Watkins and Woods but they may want more big play potential.

The Bills figure to run 2 WR sets almost all the time........and maybe moving Woods to the slot and putting a big play threat outside in 3 WR sets makes more sense.

So I think Salas might have to show more than reliable hands and if he isn't the clear #3 option he might not even make the team.

I tend to agree that Salas is probably the most reliable receiver after Watkins and Woods but they may want more big play potential.

The Bills figure to run 2 WR sets almost all the time........and maybe moving Woods to the slot and putting a big play threat outside in 3 WR sets makes more sense.

So I think Salas might have to show more than reliable hands and if he isn't the clear #3 option he might not even make the team.

Certainly possible that is the way they go (though I'm not sure I see a scenario beyond injury in which Salas doesn't make the team). My point is just before they trust say a Greg Little or a Dez Lewis to be a "big play threat" they will want to see production in pre-season games when there are at least some semi-live bullets flying. Hence at this moment that is my guess at their ranking with Salas ahead of the others.

Edited by GunnerBill

I think Salas makes the team for 3 reasons:

1) Roman likes versatility in terms of his personnel groupings, and Salas is the easy choice for a dependable 1st-down conversion guy out of the crop competing for the No. 3 job.

2) The team ran 11 personnel almost half the time in 2015. Even if that drops by a whopping 10%, that's still over 1/3 of their plays going from that personnel grouping, which means they'll want a guy that's the possession-style IMO.

3) Special teams--though I hate thinking about it, the fact that Salas can play that roles is a big deal.

Now, to me, I'm of the opinion that I want to be able to move guys around in my 11 personnel. I want Woods to play the slot sometimes (Sammy too). I want to be able to throw a burner like Listenbee out there on the boundary and make teams plan for that 5-7 times per game. I'm not sure if Roman thinks the same way (I suspect he does), and I'm also not convinced that there isn't a guy that can be both a conversion/possession guy and a deep threat.