Alex Rodriguez MLB Career is Done on Friday August 12th

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ask this as a Yankees fan: is this the worst contract in the history of sports? 10 years and $275 million for 23.5 WAR in total -- with 6.8 in year one of the ten-year contract and 15 in the first three years of it. The Yankees received 8.5 WAR over the final seven years for ~$190 million -- 1.2 per year, which is BARELY above a triple A replacement player.

Good effing riddance.

EDIT: 9 years for $250 million. Forgot about the one-year suspension!

Edited by dave mcbride

Not even close

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/16650867/why-mets-pay-bobby-bonilla-119-million-today-every-july-1-2035

I ask this as a Yankees fan: is this the worst contract in the history of sports? 10 years and $275 million for 23.5 WAR in total -- with 6.8 in year one of the ten-year contract and 15 in the first three years of it. The Yankees received 8.5 WAR over the final seven years for ~$190 million -- 1.2 per year, which is BARELY above a triple A replacement player.

Good effing riddance.

Good effing riddance.

Wait until Pujols hits the late years of his deal.

Wait until Pujols hits the late years of his deal.

After this season, Pujols will need 6 WAR over 5 seasons to tie A-Rod's number in his final contract - a relatively meager amount. Something tells me he gets it done.

A-Rod will make more than $175 million more than Bonilla from his deal, so I think A-Rod's is just a little worse. Bonilla's is crazier, which is why it has become infamous.

Edited by dave mcbride