Brandon Spikes signs with Bills

Not sure how much this means about Ragland. The team only had three ILB yesterday, playing a 3-4.

Right. I don't think the signing means anything about Ragland...they needed another body regardless.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya we threw one to Calvin Pace every damn year

I've been surprised that they haven't shown much interest in Calvin Pace........I thought he would make a fair rotational OLB with Manny Lawson.

They have a lot more information on these players than we do but when I watched him Pace looked pretty decent last year playing in a scheme that didn't fit him as well.

This situation with Spikes shows that sometimes the personnel department really DOESN'T know what's best.

If Spikes is good enough to be with the team now, he should have been in the mix here last offseason.

Preston Brown's struggles were a HUGE reason for the problems on D and having a vet like Spikes around would have made sense.

Jahri Evans is another guy that should have been here, IMO.

John Miller was bad last year and there is no quality depth inside.

Even if the news about Ragland comes back very good, he's still not likely to be playing for a week or two. They were down three LBs. this is still the second week of camp. They need bodies to practice.

true. They had so few lbs last night they had to move striker inside

Smells of desperation to me.

There is a reason Spikes was not signed; mainly, because he's just not a very good linebacker. He can hit, he just can't move very well.

But most discouraging of all, this means Ragland's injury is serious. Ugh!

Edited by CSBill

For all the talk about how bad Spikes is in pass coverage, I cannot remember a single time when he was with us that I yelled at the TV "that's what happens when you put Spikes out in coverage!" Meanwhile I do remember yelling about how beastly of a hit Spikes laid on a QB or RB multiple times.

For all the talk about how bad Spikes is in pass coverage, I cannot remember a single time when he was with us that I yelled at the TV "that's what happens when you put Spikes out in coverage!" Meanwhile I do remember yelling about how beastly of a hit Spikes laid on a QB or RB multiple times.

Exactly. We didn't get abused by it. There was one play in preseason he gave up a TD but there were about four different elements to that particular play that he missed by an inch.

Lol, agreed

Exactly. We didn't get abused by it. There was one play in preseason he gave up a TD but there were about four different elements to that particular play that he missed by an inch.

And then there is the physicality he brings against the pass.

His brutal hit injured Brandon Marshall in the Bears game which, IMO, had a significant impact on the outcome that day.

He may not be ideal but I never really bought the idea that he was so poor in coverage that he couldn't fit Rex D......which is more about congesting the middle of the field than man-to-man coverage skills at LB.

People expecting Ragnuts to be Luke Kuechly in coverage were going to be disappointed anyway.

We have Zach Brown for 3rd down and passing situations. Spikes is a great run stuffer. Great as in possibly the best in the whole league. Good leader too, he will have the guys fired up and ready to play. The more mean and nasty guys on defense the better

We have Zach Brown for 3rd down and passing situations. Spikes is a great run stuffer. Great as in possibly the best in the whole league. Good leader too, he will have the guys fired up and ready to play. The more mean and nasty guys on defense the better

At least they'll have new bathrobes.

We need the hall of famer Aaron Williams to stay healthy to. If he doesn't well then the defense falls off a cliff and you can't blame Rex.

AW is definitely overrated here.

He was good in 2013 but prone to out-of-control stupidity and then perhaps mostly due to protecting that neck injury he was not exceptional at all in 2014(which he admits).

If he can get back to 2013 play speed and do it without the emotional mistakes he could be a an asset. Hopefully he keeps his head up on tackles now and Ed Reed helps him with his field presence.

I am interested to see if Duke Williams makes a step up this year........Duke made a ton of mental mistakes last year but he is probably their most physically talented safety.

I am interested to see if Duke Williams makes a step up this year........Duke made a ton of mental mistakes last year but he is probably their most physically talented safety.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Duke is in no way a more physically gifted guy than Williams. Not by any metric.

And he's terrible.

AW is definitely overrated here.

He was good in 2013 but prone to out-of-control stupidity and then perhaps mostly due to protecting that neck injury he was not exceptional at all in 2014(which he admits).

If he can get back to 2013 play speed and do it without the emotional mistakes he could be a an asset. Hopefully he keeps his head up on tackles now and Ed Reed helps him with his field presence.

My favorite Duke Williams play was when he got burnt for a td against the pat but he just leveled the wr before the ball got to him. Edited by The Wiz