2016 Brazil Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude is incredible. The US swim program is ridiculous. The women gymnasts are even better.

He is. But what Katie Ledecky did in the 400 was unbelievable. That was Secretariat-level domination. Like you said, the US swim program is ridiculous.

If track had multiple events at each distance depending on what arm movements you made while doing it, guys like Usain Bolt might have as many medals as Phelps.

You do know that the last Olympian to have as many individual victories as Phelps was a sprinter, right? Leonidas of Rhodes, 22 centuries ago. He tied a record that was set before the Romans burned Carthage.

I think breaking a record that's been around longer than Christianity qualifies him for "greatest ever."

Funny how a bunch of nerds who probably don't get off their couches are spending all of this energy disparaging one of the greatest athletic feats in history.

Gotta love message boards.

Not disparging... Just too many medals to be had in swimming. You simply can't compare the sport to other sports or countries getting medal... The medal count that is.

No doubt Phelps is the greatest swimmer ever. But number count is apples and oranges trying to use that as a comparison w/other athletes.

You do know that the last Olympian to have as many individual victories as Phelps was a sprinter, right? Leonidas of Rhodes, 22 centuries ago. He tied a record that was set before the Romans burned Carthage.

I think breaking a record that's been around longer than Christianity qualifies him for "greatest ever."

"Greatest ever" what? Greatest swimmer ever? Yeah, probably. Greatest Olympian ever? Maybe...warrants further consideration. Greatest athlete ever? I don't think so. Again, I would say Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson, and Jim Brown are amongst the best athletes ever.

"Greatest ever" what? Greatest swimmer ever? Yeah, probably. Greatest Olympian ever? Maybe...warrants further consideration. Greatest athlete ever? I don't think so. Again, I would say Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson, and Jim Brown are amongst the best athletes ever.

I'd go with Carl Lewis over Phelps for Greatest Olympian. He did more.

Jesus could have given him a run in the 200 IM if his backstroke was any good.

It's gotta be a little maddening to be as good as Lochte and still be second banana in your sport. Seems like Phelps beats him every time it's heads up.

Phelps is specialized in swimming only and his body has evolved for swimming up through his early years as a child. That's great, his special body puts him @ huge advantage in the pool only.

Thorpe was decathlon... That makes him a better overall athelete. Heck, Caitlyn Jenner too.... :-P

No doubt, Phelps only better in the pool because his specialized body development dictates it. That is not disparaging... Do something on land and I would reconsider. Just like everything else now and professionalism @ the Olympic level, medal count is watered down.

Just hoping he does not go from American hero to American weirdo! ;-)

This.