Cross architect off Chef Jims career list

Just Jack

Screw that!! I've been in CA for almost 34 years. I've been in maybe 4 or 5 shakers that were a bit scary (I was in NY during the Northridge one). In WNY it fuggin' snows and is freaking cold EVERY year!!

I hate to admit... ;-) You are right, after last year's trip to SF, Palo Alto, Sacramento, Tahoe, Reno... That I-80 corridor is awesome! It can be very easy to get bitten by the "Cali Bug"... So close to everything... Palms to Pines, can easily risk falling off into sea once every 1,000 years!

I'd live in "reverse"... Live say in Truckee/Tahoe/Placer-Nevada County and utilize the SF/Bay area for the culture... Such a stone's throw away from everything!

:-)

I hate to admit... ;-) You are right, after last year's trip to SF, Palo Alto, Sacramento, Tahoe, Reno... That I-80 corridor is awesome! It can be very easy to get bitten by the "Cali Bug"... So close to everything... Palms to Pines, can easily risk falling off into sea once every 1,000 years!

I'd live in "reverse"... Live say in Truckee/Tahoe/Placer-Nevada County and utilize the SF/Bay area for the culture... Such a stone's throw away from everything!

:-)

My son goes to Sonoma State(aka Granola State) in Rohnert Park which is 10 minutes north of Peteluma. We went up there for the weekend a couple weeks to spend time with him. We decided to head down to Peteluma because Ive never have spent time there. One of the greatest little towns around. 100 year plus old building all in good shape. Historic and quaint. We also went to the Lagunitas Brewery there for the factory tour. Great tour as I was moderately buzzed after it for free! Of course they got me at their well stocked schwag store as I ended up buying a $250 neon sign for my garage among other things. Ended up eating there as well. I guess I kinda got entrapped with their free samples :). Anyway lots of little towns like that here. Livermore, Danville, Orinda, Lafayette just here in the east bay let alone over the bridge. Lots more there. To bad the politics is like a cloud over the place.

My son goes to Sonoma State(aka Granola State) in Rohnert Park which is 10 minutes north of Peteluma. We went up there for the weekend a couple weeks to spend time with him. We decided to head down to Peteluma because Ive never have spent time there. One of the greatest little towns around. 100 year plus old building all in good shape. Historic and quaint. We also went to the Lagunitas Brewery there for the factory tour. Great tour as I was moderately buzzed after it for free! Of course they got me at their well stocked schwag store as I ended up buying a $250 neon sign for my garage among other things. Ended up eating there as well. I guess I kinda got entrapped with their free samples :). Anyway lots of little towns like that here. Livermore, Danville, Orinda, Lafayette just here in the east bay let alone over the bridge. Lots more there. To bad the politics is like a cloud over the place.

I love Petaluma. Gotta love a town 45 minutes from downtown SF that has an Egg and Butter Days. I don't drink really much anymore so we've been doing cheese tasting tours vs wine tasting tours. We have found some incredibly small producers making some of the best cheese I've every had. Where the eff has Oliver from France been? I need to debate that frog on how our wine and cheese is leaving them in the dust. :lol:

Screw that!! I've been in CA for almost 34 years. I've been in maybe 4 or 5 shakers that were a bit scary (I was in NY during the Northridge one). In WNY it fuggin' snows and is freaking cold EVERY year!!

Only earthquake I've been in was the 5+ in this area several years ago.

Naturally, my reaction was "It's not scientific if it's not repeatable. Let's do that again!"

Only earthquake I've been in was the 5+ in this area several years ago.

Naturally, my reaction was "It's not scientific if it's not repeatable. Let's do that again!"

That's exactly how I react. Once I get my composure back, realize I'm not going to die I think "holy !@#$ that was cool!!"

I love Petaluma. Gotta love a town 45 minutes from downtown SF that has an Egg and Butter Days. I don't drink really much anymore so we've been doing cheese tasting tours vs wine tasting tours. We have found some incredibly small producers making some of the best cheese I've every had. Where the eff has Oliver from France been? I need to debate that frog on how our wine and cheese is leaving them in the dust. :lol:

Now that's just sad for this area.

Olivier.

You know how the French get when Anglicized. Like spelling CanadiEns w/an "a". That pesky "i" above changed the whole name game!

;-)

No his name was Oliver.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

-Mark Twain

A little advice to make you sound more polished and worldly... :-P

Maybe we will just call you Jaimito (HY-metoe) in Spanish or Jacques in French from now on.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/user/541-olivier-in-france/

Pronounced like: Laurence Olivier.

;-P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This thing is turning into a big mess. Big money involved. Since a lot of SF is built on sand this thing is sinking. I saw a documentary once on how they build sky scrapers in the sandy desert of Dubai. The engineers dig the footings way deeper than normal. Another fascinating fact is how they cool the tall buildings there. They have entire floors that are basically pumping stations to pump water throughout the building. Kinda wild.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-01/who-will-pay-for-san-francisco-s-tilting-sinking-millennium-tower

There's a very cool show called "Strip the City" that goes into great detail regarding infrastructure of cities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dykmHEhnBI

San Fran -

Toronto (the sinking city) was a good one as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgu4vBanc3k

Edited by ricojes

There's a very cool show called "Strip the City" that goes into great detail regarding infrastructure of cities:

San Fran -

Toronto (the sinking city) was a good one as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgu4vBanc3k

I'm going to watch the Toronto episode. I think this Dubai one you posted is the one I watched. I was on a plane I think.

Edited by Dante

San Fran -

Intetestig. Toronto with its "ravines" I recall a description like: "Toronto is SF "turned inside out."

Also... As The Lakes "drain" I heard that the land around Toronto is "springing back up"... Probably then, where Toronto is "sinking?" Yeah sounds crazy, but that is a hell of a lot of water in the Great Lakes & as water elevations go down, I guess the land recovers??? I never looked into this to vetify what I caught in passing.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Anytime you're buying in an earthquake prone area, you always have to stay away from anything that is built on fill material. We lived in Seattle for many years, and if one hits, it's like being on top of jello. Not the most fun you will ever have! Hard to believe they would ever get the OK to build at that location.

Them and everyone else. Construction is booming in that neighborhood. Was just over on Mission St; great area.

As for earthquakes, coming up on a year out here I'm still a virgin (knock on wood).

As for earthquakes, coming up on a year out here I'm still a virgin (knock on wood).

I don't particularly look forward to your first one, especially if you're home with the wife and kids.

The reason I'd take a massive snow storm over an earthquake ANY DAY is two-fold:

First, one of them almost always comes with plenty of warning. You can take precautions with food and shelter, and even mentally to the extent that you can watch it come, sometimes in amazement.

The other one does not give you a warning. At all. They don't start small and get bigger. At least not to the layman. They start big, and they're loud, and depending on where you stand, you can literally feel the earth roll under you while photos and dishes crash all around you.

Which brings us to the second reason; I've never felt more helpless for my family than during an earthquake. Depending on where they are in the house, you barely have enough time to get to them...and even then, which way do you go first? Kid #1? Kid #2? Your wife? By the time you can even process it and you're moving toward someone, it stops. Until you get an aftershock. Or two. Or three. Or four. And you are reminded constantly that you have absolutely no control over an earthquake beyond some stupid preparedness kit in your garage.

They don't happen often. But yeah, I'll take the snowstorm any freaking day.

Edited by LABillzFan

I don't particularly look forward to your first one, especially if you're home with the wife and kids.

The reason I'd take a massive snow storm over an earthquake ANY DAY is two-fold:

First, one of them almost always comes with plenty of warning. You can take precautions with food and shelter, and even mentally to the extent that you can watch it come, sometimes in amazement.

The other one does not give you a warning. At all. They don't start small and get bigger. At least not to the layman. They start big, and they're loud, and depending on where you stand, you can literally feel the earth roll under you while photos and dishes crash all around you.

Which brings us to the second reason; I've never felt more helpless for my family than during an earthquake. Depending on where they are in the house, you barely have enough time to get to them...and even then, which way do you go first? Kid #1? Kid #2? Your wife? By the time you can even process it and you're moving toward someone, it stops. Until you get an aftershock. Or two. Or three. Or four. And you are reminded constantly that you have absolutely control over an earthquake beyond some stupid preparedness kit in your garage.

I actually miss the snowstorms. I fully enjoy that process; checking the generator, stocking the fridge, bringing sufficient wood into the garage, etc. Watching the radar as the light flurries turn into heavy snow and waking up the next day to the world being completely blanketed; then spending the day tending the fire, cooking up some chili or a chicken & dumplings stew, taking the kids out to sled down the hill in the front yard. Even the shoveling (assuming it's a nice light powder) has a nice solitude to it.

But I sure don't miss the following six weeks of 20 degree weather and slushy mess everywhere.

Which brings us to the second reason; I've never felt more helpless for my family than during an earthquake. Depending on where they are in the house, you barely have enough time to get to them...and even then, which way do you go first? Kid #1? Kid #2? Your wife? By the time you can even process it and you're moving toward someone, it stops. Until you get an aftershock. Or two. Or three. Or four. And you are reminded constantly that you have absolutely no control over an earthquake beyond some stupid preparedness kit in your garage.

No doubt about it the actual event of an earthquake is much scarier, has no warning and can cause incredible damage. Having said that in WNY if !@#$ing snows every year and there are many days of below zero temps and that dreariness lasts for months. I'll take a 30 second shaker that can cause any damage once every decade or so. As I've mentioned I'm pushing 35 years here in CA and have only the most damage I've had from an earthquake is a few pictures askew on the walls.

I actually miss the snowstorms. I fully enjoy that process; checking the generator, stocking the fridge, bringing sufficient wood into the garage, etc. Watching the radar as the light flurries turn into heavy snow and waking up the next day to the world being completely blanketed; then spending the day tending the fire, cooking up some chili or a chicken & dumplings stew, taking the kids out to sled down the hill in the front yard. Even the shoveling (assuming it's a nice light powder) has a nice solitude to it.

But I sure don't miss the following six weeks of 20 degree weather and slushy mess everywhere.

BINGO!!