Cross architect off Chef Jims career list

Just Jack

Cool building.

The Millennium Tower, located at 301 Mission Street, is reportedly home to several high-profile people, including Joe Montana and San Francisco Giants player Hunter Pence, and units in the modern glass tower range from $1 million to over $10 million. An architectural marvel of glass and concrete, the 58-story tower offers luxury living for those who can afford it.

I wonder if the broom closet you get there for $1,00,000 has running water.

Engineers said the building was safe, despite the fact that the tower was anchored over a thick concrete slab with piles driven roughly 80 feet into dense sand.

Good job, builders. My house's foundation is piered deeper than that. :doh:

Stop blaming Architects, this is an Engineer's fault. Someone screwed up the survey.

If it's that unstable now, wait for the next big quake. Sounds like it may have been built on some sort of landfill, or uncompacted subsoil.

Buildings of this size, don't require compacted soil because it's pointless. It basically "floats" on top of piers drilled into the ground. The softer the soil, the deeper you have to go. The reason it's sinking is because they weren't deep enough to provide the buoyancy to counter the weight.

The problem you're probably thinking about only happens on recovered land along the coastline because the newly deposited soil is saturated in water.

Stop blaming Architects, this is an Engineer's fault. Someone screwed up the survey.

Buildings of this size, don't require compacted soil because it's pointless. It basically "floats" on top of piers drilled into the ground. The softer the soil, the deeper you have to go. The reason it's sinking is because they weren't deep enough to provide the buoyancy to counter the weight.

The problem you're probably thinking about only happens on recovered land along the coastline because the newly deposited soil is saturated in water.

...and turns into liquid when you shake it really hard.

As opposed to the ****ty clay my house is built, that expands and contracts like a sponge when it gets good and soaking wet...say, if you have a defective storm drain running through your property that the city never maintained.

I've learned more about foundation engineering and different soil types than I ever wanted to know, dealing with this friggin' house.

When I was doing environmental due diligence, I looked at a one-story law office building on Alameda, across SF bay from San Francisco. The island that Almeda is on is basically a big sand bar. The owner of the building told me that he had to drive pilings down 100 feet through the bay muck to reach bedrock. That was for a ONE story building and that if he didn't it would have sunk over six inches in 10 years. What the hell were they thinking when they only went down 80 feet for one of the biggest buildings in San Francisco?

If it's that unstable now, wait for the next big quake. Sounds like it may have been built on some sort of landfill, or uncompacted subsoil.

San Fran has been around since 1850. There were numerous old buildings at those locations over the years. On the location of another residential high-rise less than a half mile away, they found the foundations of a sailor's convalescene home and a ship salvage yard, both dating from the end of the 19th century.

San Fran has been around since 1850. There were numerous old buildings at those locations over the years. On the location of another residential high-rise less than a half mile away, they found the foundations of a sailor's convalescene home and a ship salvage yard, both dating from the end of the 19th century.

And in 2136, they will find Joe Montana's jockstrap. :-O

How have you been feeling Wacka? Hope all has been going well.

• 5 months later...

This thing is turning into a big mess. Big money involved. Since a lot of SF is built on sand this thing is sinking. I saw a documentary once on how they build sky scrapers in the sandy desert of Dubai. The engineers dig the footings way deeper than normal. Another fascinating fact is how they cool the tall buildings there. They have entire floors that are basically pumping stations to pump water throughout the building. Kinda wild.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-01/who-will-pay-for-san-francisco-s-tilting-sinking-millennium-tower

You're absolutely right. This is a mess. I can't imagine having bought something in that building. They weren't cheap (nothing is in SF) and to now know the building you're living in will someday have tourists taking selfies of them pretending to be holding it up.

You're absolutely right. This is a mess. I can't imagine having bought something in that building. They weren't cheap (nothing is in SF) and to now know the building you're living in will someday have tourists taking selfies of them pretending to be holding it up.

What's it like having a few million invested in one of these? What's the resale value going to be? Even if they do manage to repair it will they ever be able to shake the stigma? The entire thing is sad for everyone involved.

Edited by Dante

Anytime you're buying in an earthquake prone area, you always have to stay away from anything that is built on fill material. We lived in Seattle for many years, and if one hits, it's like being on top of jello. Not the most fun you will ever have! Hard to believe they would ever get the OK to build at that location.

The last one we were in, we were both home. My wife asked me "what is that?" I told her it was either an earthquake of the New York Central had a berkshire locomotive coming down our driveway. It was a 6+!

I'll take the Blizzard of 77 x 10 anytime.

Anytime you're buying in an earthquake prone area, you always have to stay away from anything that is built on fill material. We lived in Seattle for many years, and if one hits, it's like being on top of jello. Not the most fun you will ever have! Hard to believe they would ever get the OK to build at that location.

The last one we were in, we were both home. My wife asked me "what is that?" I told her it was either an earthquake of the New York Central had a berkshire locomotive coming down our driveway. It was a 6+!

Oh boy! Now you started "it!" ;-)

Good thing my family didn't get in on that swank new project called the "Tower of Pisa" back in the 1300s! :,)

Screw that!! I've been in CA for almost 34 years. I've been in maybe 4 or 5 shakers that were a bit scary (I was in NY during the Northridge one). In WNY it fuggin' snows and is freaking cold EVERY year!!