Oh please, please, make this come true...

eball

That was the best thing to happen to SF since the Big One in 1906, the removal of the Embarcadero Freeway. It was an eyesore and blocked SF's access and view of the water. Getting through town is a complete cluster!@#$ now but still....

I've been saying Buffalo should do this for awhile now. Hope it happens.

I would say keep an eye on Syracuse and I-81 since we are in the same process currently. Btw, Driscoll mentioned in the article is our former mayor.

DOT's I-81 project director: We don't know what we are going to build yet

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index.ssf/2016/05/dots_i-81_project_director_we_dont_know_what_we_are_going_to_build_yet.html

I've been told by someone who would know that the Skyway is considered an architectural marvel by the state people who designed and built it and they don't care how ugly it is. They feel it's a reflection of their achievements.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I've been told by someone who would know that the Skyway is considered an architectural marvel by the state people who designed and built it and they don't care how ugly it is. They feel it's a reflection of their achievements.

Engineers are obsessed with bridges.

Maybe they could top themselves with a low-rise version.

Engineers are obsessed with bridges.

Tunnels, too.

Who cares what they think. I say that every morning but I still flush the !@#$ing toilet.

That was the best thing to happen to SF since the Big One in 1906, the removal of the Embarcadero Freeway. It was an eyesore and blocked SF's access and view of the water. Getting through town is a complete cluster!@#$ now but still....

I've been saying Buffalo should do this for awhile now. Hope it happens.

Wow...I had no idea that ever existed. I can't even imagine how horrible that must have looked.

Wow...I had no idea that ever existed. I can't even imagine how horrible that must have looked.

Here. It looked like absolute ****. I remember years ago we were visiting and we had to go on the other side of that thing to mail some postcards. It was like escape from NY on the other side.

embarcadero-freeway2.jpg

They'll study it. Same people who have done all the studies for a new stadium, Peace Bridge, and Bass Pro Shop.

Yes and anyone over the age of 30 will never see it happen in their lifetimes because of the bureaucratic bullshite that these things need to go through.

Here. It looked like absolute ****. I remember years ago we were visiting and we had to go on the other side of that thing to mail some postcards. It was like escape from NY on the other side.

embarcadero-freeway2.jpg

Yes and anyone over the age of 30 will never see it happen in their lifetimes because of the bureaucratic bullshite that these things need to go through.

Wow, that's horrible. At least that looks like the city I remember from the Dirty Harry movies.

Wow, that's horrible. At least that looks like the city I remember from the Dirty Harry movies.

Where it curves around to the right is SOMA as you know a hip part of town. That was actually where we were that was crazy scary. SOMA was a bum haven for the longest time. Putting the ballpark over there was a smart thing. Deciding not not put the Warriors arena there was even smarter. It would have been an absolute zoo over there.

Oh and people being afraid of earthquakes is funny. Look what the Loma-Prieta did for SF. :D

Edited by Chef Jim

They'll study it. Same people who have done all the studies for a new stadium, Peace Bridge, and Bass Pro Shop.

The ICC down here, they studied for 30 years before building it. An entire industry built up around "studying the ICC." People made careers out of it. When they finally said "!@#$ it, we're building the ICC," jobs were lost and companies went bankrupt with nothing left to study.

The entire thing probably took 30 years to plan simply to keep people employed "studying" it.

Oh and people being afraid of earthquakes is funny. Look what the Loma-Prieta did for SF. :D

Is the Embarcadero the one that pancaked?

Good riddance. Always wondered why you'd build something that stupid in an earthquake zone. Ditto the Hanshin Expressway in Kobe.

The ICC down here, they studied for 30 years before building it. An entire industry built up around "studying the ICC." People made careers out of it. When they finally said "!@#$ it, we're building the ICC," jobs were lost and companies went bankrupt with nothing left to study.

The entire thing probably took 30 years to plan simply to keep people employed "studying" it.

Is the Embarcadero the one that pancaked?

Good riddance. Always wondered why you'd build something that stupid in an earthquake zone. Ditto the Hanshin Expressway in Kobe.

No that was the Nimitz over on the east bay side. They had been debating for years on what to do with the embaradero. The Chinese in Chinatown were worried that tearing it down would hurt their business. The L/P earthquake damaged it enough to seal it's fate. BTW the double decker of the Nimitz no longer exists either which kind of goes without saying.