TOD 7/20: Prevent defense...is it a game winner or loser?

Loser!!! I'm a BIG, BIG believer that someone dictates and someone reacts. You always want to be the team dictating, not reacting. The prevent defense, at its core, is reacting to what is happening in front of them. Play your defense.

The prevent, may stop the home run but it allows the team to pick up big chunks of yards and get in position to make a play. It may stop the 80 yard TD, but if you give up 60 yards in a minute, they only need 20 more for the same 80.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The modern prevent defense does not let people just march down the field. Of course score and field position dictate everything. But in general the defense picks its spot to unleash pressure on the QB. The defense knows the offense is throwing and not keeping people in to protect the QB.

The best play is let them catch a short pass over the middle, make tackle, keep clock running, force the offense to snap quickly and then blitz. This catches the O-line off guard, possibly winded, and may not give the WR's a chance to adjust their routes for the blitz.

Virtually no one plays an old-school prevent anymore. Defensive coordinators mix in different coverages, blitzes, and still rotate pass rushers.

The modern prevent defense does not let people just march down the field. Of course score and field position dictate everything. But in general the defense picks its spot to unleash pressure on the QB. The defense knows the offense is throwing and not keeping people in to protect the QB.

The best play is let them catch a short pass over the middle, make tackle, keep clock running, force the offense to snap quickly and then blitz. This catches the O-line off guard, possibly winded, and may not give the WR's a chance to adjust their routes for the blitz.

Virtually no one plays an old-school prevent anymore. Defensive coordinators mix in different coverages, blitzes, and still rotate pass rushers.

Agree. Modern prevent defense basically just means playing the dime formation and letting people have the short passes in the middle of the field and then rallying and tackling. I think that defense absolutely has a place but I hate seeing teams go to it from the start of a final drive when leading by less than 7 and still 1:50 on the clock. Just play your darn defense. I actually think Jim Schwartz was pretty good in how he used the prevent, because he'd normally go to it when the team was up by a couple of touchdowns early in the 4th and he'd let a team take 6 minutes to score. Then if it came down to the 4 minute and 2 minute offense and the game was still on the line he'd play his defense and put games to bed.

It's awful.

Nothing makes a QB feel more comfortable than zero pass rush and giving him the largest part of the field to use at his will, and a comfortable QB means a confident QB.

Apply pressure, force the ball out quickly, tackle properly.

It's funny how every fan on the planet hates it, yet so many NFL coaches do it for years. What do they know we don't?

I don't have an opinion.

I'm with you on having no opinion, though I'm sure its failures stick out to me more than its successes. I know a college coach who loathes it, so there's that.

Good quarterbacks eat the prevent defense for breakfast and crap in the form of scoring. That said, the current form of the prevent defense has as place still in the game, particularly when opposing teams are trying to manage situations with limited time left on the clock, and big chunks of yards to get into scoring position. I think the basic concept of the prevent is to give opposing teams short gains on the early downs to force third and long where you're making them take a riskier shot down the field. With the contact rules being what they are now though, I don't like it at all.

Whether it is a good idea greatly depends on team you are facing. If you have a team which depends on the big play to score it can be successful but if you are playing a team which is used to lining up fast and throwing it moving the chains it is a mistake.