Vote for JP's backup/mentor

djh

Who should the Bills sign as the backup QB?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills sign as the backup QB?

• Vinny Testaverde
    • Brad Johnson
    • Rich Gannon
    • Jay Fiedler
    • Chris Chandler
    • Kurt Warner
    • Jeff Garcia.

Unfortunately, I also have to say none of the above.

If the Bills spend more than a $2.2 million cap hit on a #2 QB then the cut of Bledsoe actually reduces or cap room rather than helping our cap room.

I thnik all the QBs in your list are either coming off of contracts far in excess of this level cap hit and will probably command more than this from the market. Garcia for example last year was signed to an average salary of $6 million a year and even with a paycut cut for him to half this amount costs us cap room we desperately need to deal with the JJ/LT situation, Phat Pat/DT situation and filling other needs we have identified we have an eye on (K, back-up LB or RB, etc), If Fiedler is your guy his back-up Feeley cost around $2 mill last year. I'm not advocating any of your choice but stating that the first part of choosing Warner, Johnson (at least they have beem there before) or any of these guys has to be a statement of why the Bills are willing to take them for a bigger hit than Bledsoe (who also at least has been there before) for them or they will agree to take an NFL chump change contract.

I think a realistic list actually looks at choice between folks like Charlie Batch (who Simon likes), Mike MacMahon (who I'm not sure why anyone like given that he has a lower than 50% completion rate in his two high?) if you want to call 4-6 starts high use seasons) and Kordelia (who at least has been there before).

Some folks say that Matthews is the guy and though his average at best record as a player for Chicago and other is not a disqualifier for being a #2 (just as I think while Bledsoe's record disqualifies him as a starter he fulfilled the #2 job well in 2001) the fact he has publicly announced he may well retire after last year, I agree with Marv that when you talk about retiring you in essence are retired and it would be foolish to count on him stepping in and playing the Frank Reich role if he were called upon to do so.

So i think the reality is that you have to add some cheaper guys to this list if you want it to be realistic and given the constraints I fear we are under make my choice Kordelia as I am attacted to this inadequate choice because MM/Clements revived him once before or even better if the cap allows sign Batch and try to get Kordelia as a slash as a potential #3 WR abd player who allows us to go 2 deep on the roster for QBs (heck, in his old age he even was willing to punt for the Ravens last year).

I don't want to bring in anyone as high as Brad Johnson because if JP throws one pick, then we'd have a controversy. I doubt Johnson wants to be a backup anyways.

I voted for Chandler because I believe he can be the better mentor of that group and if he needs to come in, can do more than just hand off.

I voted for Garcia because the other 6 listed are "Bledsoe Statues".

I don't think Garcia is the best player...or the best arm...but...he isn't a statue.

248164[/snapback]

I think given the circumstances Kordell Stewart does make quite a bit of sense here! The only downside to this though is trying to determine where Slash's head is at. Do you guys think that he would take JP "under his wing" or would he be a cancerous tumor with his own agenda of wanting to be starter? :P

I agree, none of those selections would be any good. What you need is a veteran who can get the job done when called upon, but who wont force Losman to look over his shoulder and ruin his progression. Guys like Shane Matthews, Kordell Stewart, Jim Miller, etc would be ideal since they all have experience but arent in any position to take Losman's job away from him.

I also like the idea of drafting a QB in the 4th or 5th round to groom as JP's long-term backup. A guy like David Greene, Stephen LaFors or Jason White (who I think is going to be a very good backup in the NFL for some team) would be great.

I agree, none of those selections would be any good.  What you need is a veteran who can get the job done when called upon, but who wont force Losman to look over his shoulder and ruin his progression.  Guys like Shane Matthews, Kordell Stewart, Jim Miller, etc would be ideal since they all have experience but arent in any position to take Losman's job away from him. 

I also like the idea of drafting a QB in the 4th or 5th round to groom as JP's long-term backup.  A guy like David Greene, Stephen LaFors or Jason White (who I think is going to be a very good backup in the NFL for some team) would be great.

248261[/snapback]

Does anybody know what Stewart's current situation is with the Bears? He did go to the Bears right? :P

i can't believe gannon and johnson are getting so many votes. gannon is a cancer and incredibly pompous, and johnson is as statuesque as they come. fiedler is the perfect solution -- a lot of starting experience, mobility, and probably wouldn't mind being the backup. plus he has been a winner.

get past the dolphin hatred and it really is a good fit.

I agree, none of those selections would be any good. What you need is a veteran who can get the job done when called upon, but who wont force Losman to look over his shoulder and ruin his progression. Guys like Shane Matthews, Kordell Stewart, Jim Miller, etc would be ideal since they all have experience but arent in any position to take Losman's job away from him.

I also like the idea of drafting a QB in the 4th or 5th round to groom as JP's long-term backup. A guy like David Greene, Stephen LaFors or Jason White (who I think is going to be a very good backup in the NFL for some team) would be great.

I agree with BGIM. And, assuming the TH-Shelton trade and JJ leaving, my draft would be OG in RD#2 (either Brown-Baas-Brooks in that order), RB in RD#3 (Anthony Davis-KayJay Harris-Darren Sproles), and QB in RD#4 (Greene-White-LaFors-Campbell). 'Bama's Anthony Bryant would be my DT pick in RD#5.