TOD: 7/16: Shady, good trade and contract?

The word around Philly in late February was actually that the Eagles had asked Shady to take a PAY CUT........and that he was going to be released if he declined.

There wasn't talk of a trade because of the way they had cut DeSean Jackson prior and the notion that veteran RB's don't have much trade value.

So that sure worked out for him.....didn't it?

The Bills got played.

Yeah, the eagles were looking to cut McCoy on a non guarenteed 2 years remaining to go out and sign Murray to a 4 year contract. I buy that alright. :rolleyes:

Great trade. Up there with the Hughes deal. Contract is suspect, but I believe shady is still a top 5 running back and the most elusive in the nfl. Hands are top notch. Blocking is solid. Love having him on the team. A clear and noticeable upgrade over the backs we've had in the last 15 years. Stats aren't everything. Shady passes the eye test with flying colors. He's a star imo

The word around Philly in late February was actually that the Eagles had asked Shady to take a PAY CUT........and that he was going to be released if he declined.

There wasn't talk of a trade because of the way they had cut DeSean Jackson prior and the notion that veteran RB's don't have much trade value.

So that sure worked out for him.....didn't it?

The Bills got played.

LOL! The Eagles got played. Did you see Murray's season and how much they wasted on not only him, but Shady's dead money? You don't think everyone (left) in that organization and the fans wouldn't want Shady back in a heartbeat?

No, absolutely not.

OK trade, bad contract. A major contributor to our salary cap problems.

And my guess is that his age will start to show soon, probably by 2017. (Assuming the injuries we saw aren't already the first signs.) Hope I'm wrong about that.

Edited by Thurman#1

LOL! The Eagles got played. Did you see Murray's season and how much they wasted on not only him, but Shady's dead money? You don't think everyone (left) in that organization and the fans wouldn't want Shady back in a heartbeat?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the $4 million in Shady's dead money for the Eagles. Then they trade Murray away this year for another $4 million in dead money. I mean I know there was a regime change, but yeah, for sure they are the brilliant ones playing the bills. :lol:

Edited by What a Tuel

No, absolutely not.

OK trade, bad contract. A major contributor to our salary cap problems.

And my guess is that his age will start to show soon, probably by 2017. (Assuming the injuries we saw aren't already the first signs.) Hope I'm wrong about that.

What cap problems? The Bills are currently almost $12M under the cap. And that's with Gilmore's $11M cap hit.

Under the contract he signed with the Bills? Really?

No.

Yeah, the eagles were looking to cut McCoy on a non guarenteed 2 years remaining to go out and sign Murray to a 4 year contract. I buy that alright. :rolleyes:

Oh they made their own mistake signing Murray.......no doubt.

But they had a coach who had put together two consecutive 10 win seasons after inheriting a team that looked like it was headed for a major re-build.

So they gave him the benefit of the doubt.

The Bills would have likely done the same if Phillips or Greggo or Mularkey or Jauron or Chan or Marrone or Rex........man, that's a lot of unsuccessful head coaches in succession..........had won 10 games the season prior.

If Chip had won 10 games in back-to-back seasons here in Buffalo the vocal minority of zealots on here wouldn't allow any criticism of him for getting rid of McCoy and signing the NFL's leading rusher to replace him.

Not as good trade. A Great trade. Don't care how much he makes as long as he is performing. He has so far.

Performance is relative I guess.

Remember when CJ Spiller had that very disappointing season in 2013 because Marrone and Hackett just kept running him "straight up the middle" in their Pop Warner quality offense?

His rushing stats were: 202 carries 933 yards 4.6 yards per 2 TD

McCoy's stats last year were: 203 carries 895 yards 4.4 yards per 3 TD

So McCoy was slightly less productive in a great run offense complemented by playmakers and a very productive QB in Tyrod......... than Spiller was in a bad offense with rookie EJ/Thad/Tuel at QB and less playmaking talent around him.

You still think that's "performing" for a "top 3 in the NFL RB" that just got a $40M deal? :flirt:

Throw in the fact that he missed all or part of 6 games.......and despite the required workload in his absence his low pedigree backups still managed to average well over 5 yards per rush and outscored him many times over and it's really not even an argument that he failed to live up to expectations.

It was essentially the same deal he had in Philly.

Incorrect.

I know eball likes to pretend that the only impact that Shady's cap figure has in on this season.........or that all the guarantees aren't going to result in a pile of dead money........but regardless of the optimism that may have been flowing on TP's yacht that night I feel assured in saying that nobody that was there thinks he's going to see the end of that deal now.

No way. :lol:

It's funny that the "optimistic" take now is that he will make it thru 2017.......3 seasons out of 5....which would still end up costing the Bills well over $10M per season average for McCoy's services.

My take is that the entire combination of his issues will result in the Bills just cutting bait after this season.......while they have around $45M in cap space............ and then his hit will have been an un-Godly $15M per.

Then if you add in the now double-dipped guarantees he already got from Philly to play thru 2017 on the original contract.......well, you get a guy who has been used to raking franchise CB money over a 5 year period to play a devalued/platooned position.

And yet some people think he will then go somewhere and play for peanuts because he doesn't want to quit while he is ahead?

Those arguments just seem a bit out of touch, IMO.

You guys disagree.........that's fine.

But you don't have to try to skew the facts.......by saying he's healthy, when at last report he was not.........or that he performed well last year......when even he admits he did not.......and so forth. :thumbsup:

With a little time behind this trade was it a good one especially when viewed in combination with his new contract? If the Bills could hit the "do it again" or "no way in hell" which button should they hit?

Since Kiko has been injured the trade is in our favor, but trading for a RB is always dumb unless you are getting some ridiculous deal. paying shady 10 mil a yr is retarded.

We should have traded them kiko and our second for their first and then we trade up for Wentz. They probably would have went for it as they thought they wouldn't have a high first and we usually have higher picks which would have given them a good second round pick.

Shady's value is in line with his skill set. I would not trade him for Doug Martin, Jonathan Stewart, or Lamar Miller even with their contracts to save $2 million per year tops. He is worth it to me. Maybe you think we can get away with Gillislee or Karlos and save cap, but we will have to agree to disagree on that fact. We are better with McCoy.

RB Cap hits 2016:

Adrian Peterson: 12 million

Jonathan Stewart: 9.5 million

Doug Martin: 8 million

LeSean McCoy: 7.6 million

Demarco Murray 6 million

CJ Anderson: 6 million

Lamar Miller 5.5 million

Jamaal Charles: 5.3 million

Shane Vereen: 4.9 million

Giovani Bernard: 4.6 million

RB Cap hits 2017

Adrian Peterson 18 million

LeSean McCoy 8.8 million

Jonathan Stewart 8.2 million

Doug Martin 7 million

Jamaal Charles 7 million

Lamar Miller 6.5 million

DeMarco Murray 6.2 million

Chris Ivory 6 million

Ezekiel Elliott: 5.6 million

Mark Ingram 5.2 million

Like I said it was the same contract Badol. He got $6M more guaranteed but $5M less overall. And yeah he didn't perform as well as he'd have liked last year...because he was injured. I think we've established that sufficiently by now.

Incorrect.

I know eball likes to pretend that the only impact that Shady's cap figure has in on this season.........or that all the guarantees aren't going to result in a pile of dead money........but regardless of the optimism that may have been flowing on TP's yacht that night I feel assured in saying that nobody that was there thinks he's going to see the end of that deal now.

No way. :lol:

It's funny that the "optimistic" take now is that he will make it thru 2017.......3 seasons out of 5....which would still end up costing the Bills well over $10M per season average for McCoy's services.

My take is that the entire combination of his issues will result in the Bills just cutting bait after this season.......while they have around $45M in cap space............ and then his hit will have been an un-Godly $15M per.

I don't think my narrative has changed, B -- I've always said I believe Shady's value this year is certainly acceptable, and if he doesn't play well or gets hurt the Bills can get out of the deal after 2017 without too much heartburn. My "optimism" is that he will stay healthy and return to form for at least the next two seasons. If that happens I don't think anyone will have a problem with the contract.

shady is a superstar stud.

the bills need to shore up RG & RT to realize his full benefit.

in a perfect world , you do not tie up so much cap at RB, but the bills were smart to take advantage of the trade in front of them.

With the RB's currently in a state of flux, we better hope we don't see the dreaded "Breaking News" ticker across ESPN in July about McCoy getting injured.....one of those 3-4 major players who go out for the season every year in training cap.

I thought the trade was good at the time, now I think it's great with Alonzo's downhill trend.