Ethernet Splitter

TSNBDSC

Looking to split the ethernet connection out of my Direct TV Deca to go to the Direct TV receiver and a Samsung DVD player. Can it be done simply and cheaply ?

Like this http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/248658/Intellinet-2-Port-FTP-Modular-Distributor/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Networking_Cables-_-248658-VQ6-47886873116-VQ16-c-VQ17-pla-VQ18-online-VQ19-248658-VQ20-47420171768-VQ21--VQ22-182184476-VQ27-9626507156&gclid=CJjx44_Q9s0CFYMlgQodQOAMRQ

Customer reviews say it doesn't work.

Should have bought a DVD player with WI Fi lol

Stayin :thumbsup:

Edited by tsnbd

Can't split the Ethernet signal. Each wired device needs it's own signal back to the switch/router/workstation/next hop along the network path

That said, an Ethernet cable consists of 8 copper wires inside the jacket. 100BaseT only uses 4 of the 8 wires. The splitter you linked will let you carry two separate 100BaseT signals along the same cable. But when the cable runs back to the switch/router you will need a similar device to separate the wiring into two ports on the switch/router.

Plus, while DirecTV network interface cards are currently 100BaseT, 100BaseT is an older specification. 100BaseT isn't really going anywhere for awhile because it's widely adopted, but the newer specification 1000BaseT uses all eight of the internal wires. 100BaseT allows network speed up to 100Megabits (~12Megabytes) per second. 1000BaseT allows 1Gigabit(~120Megabytes) per second. In the long run, you are better served by putting in the infrastructure for 1000BaseT now.

And as far as using WiFi goes, one thing most folks don't understand is that Wifi is a shared signal. If you have 10 Wifi devices running at a time, you have 10 devices competing for the same radio waves and the same inbound/outbound connection. The current generation of Wireless Access Points (WAP) can run two or three devices simultaneously. But once the WAP processes the wireless signal and converts it to the wired, they all share the same link speed. So if you have a WAP with a 1GBs wired out port on it, every device connected to your WAP is funneled thru the same 1 gig wired connection.

I would suggest locating a closet somewhere, or you spot in your garage or basement (if you have one), where you can run a bunch network cables to so that wherever they run, they are either hidden or in a spot that isn't an eyesore. Buy a 16 or 24 port network switch (better to have more ports than you need now, because you'll end up wanting more later). Buy a 1000 foot spool of CAT6 network cable (CAT5e is cheaper but CAT5e/CAT6 is directly related to the 100T vs 1000T that I mentioned earlier). Buy a batch of CAT6 network jacks (RJ45 female) and a bag of RJ45 male connectors. And an RJ45 crimping tool

Then run your cable from where you want the wired device to the switch. Terminate the female jack into a wallmount box and run the cable to your switch. Terminate the other end with the male connector and plug into the switch. If you have the space for it, you could use a patch panel on the switch side. A patch panel is just a row of the female RJ45 connectors that you would then run a cable with 2 male connectors from the panel to the switch. It's a cleaner more professional way of doing things that lets you connect/disconnect devices easier, but it takes up space and isn't really needed for home network use

For the network device (directv, tv, game console, pc, etc), make your own cable however long you want it with male connectors on both ends

Device<-MaleRJ45-cable-MaleRJ45->FemaleRJ45----cable-to-switch---MaleRJ45->Switch

Run a wall jack to your router (or put your router in the same place as the switch) and plug the router into the switch

Give every device a home run back to a central location.

So i could combine two signals from a router (ports 1 and 2) into a single line and then run a split at the end. Would need two splitters, one at ports 1 and 2, and one at the direct tv / dvd player area

Yes, in a very ugly kluge

I highly recommend running two separate lines

I had to look up that word lol

kludge
klo͞oj/
informal
noun
noun: kluge
  1. 1.
    an ill-assorted collection of parts assembled to fulfill a particular purpose.
    • Computing
      a machine, system, or program that has been badly put together.
verb
verb: kluge
  1. 1.
    use ill-assorted parts to make (something).
    "Hugh had to kludge something together"
The Bills have a kludge of running backs.
Edited by tsnbd

Isn't it easier to run a continuous line instead of a split? Go from router to Dvd, then Dvd to tv...

I'm not really sure that's possible anymore since all my devices are wi-fi, but I thought that's how the older tech worked.

You cannot piggyback ethernet connections on top of each other.

Isn't it easier to run a continuous line instead of a split? Go from router to Dvd, then Dvd to tv...

I'm not really sure that's possible anymore since all my devices are wi-fi, but I thought that's how the older tech worked.

You're thinking of Arc net.