4th grade Bills fans, and a nice distraction from tonight.

I'm not sure if this belongs on the football board, but, it's about Bills fans, so...mods...do with it what you will.

I always get roped into helping my mom with her yearly school carnival. It's a day of disorganization, stupidity, and sloth...because of the adults. But, the kids have a ball, which is why I do it. It's a poor school in a poor neighborhood in a prison town. In short: it's a place where the 2nd amendment is exercized as a means of daily survival; thus a reality, not an abstraction, or a political talking point.

In this setting, I show up to begin work. I picked a bad time(by minutes) as it was time for the kids to leave for the day. When I showed up, with my Bills hat on, I caused chaos. The kids wanted to know who I was/what I was doing there, and 2 interesting things happened:

1. One kid asked me if I knew Sammy Watkins. I said of course. He beamed: "He's my cousin." "Wow! You're so lucky to have a cousin like that." I said, giving the approval he wanted. He then told me about all the times he's met him and what they've done. It was nice.

2. Next a girl marched up and said "You're a Bills fan? Ok, then high-five", and put up her hand. Of course I responded, and of course we both said "Go Bills". We all know that there is practically no situtation in which a Bills fan doesn't reciprocate a high five request from a fellow Bills fan, regadless of age, race, gender, whatever.

They funny part? Not everybody does. Later I was working a booth, and not only the same girl from before, but other fans came up and demanded high fives. I thought this was great. The art teacher working the booth with me? She couldn't comprehend it. The kids weren't goofing around. They were being serious. "High five! We're gonna win the division this year because Brady can't play 4 games" says one. "Tyrod is our QB, and he's good, high-five" says the next. And on it went.

The art teacher was a bit shocked. First of all I'm an adult, and in school-world this doesn't happen. I explained to her that I've been a fan of other teams, and of bands, but that nothing on this planet is like being a Bills fan. I described our culture: all differences are cast aside, in favor of a single, overwhelming, unifying force. Thus, I told her that not only was this the the way Bills fans are...that it's taught from a very young age, and expected.

It was fun to see the art teacher's reaction. I told her: "Hey you can be part of this too. There is no barrier to entry. You just have to learn football a little and cheer for the Bills. I can show you." She agreed. (I am thinking of showing her some other things too, like what she'd look like in a Sammy Watkins jersey...only. :devil: Yes, I know, a nice post ruined...but this is me after all, isn't it?)

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The art teacher was a bit shocked. First of all I'm an adult, and in school-world this doesn't happen. I explained to her that I've been a fan of other teams, and of bands, but that nothing on this planet is like being a Bills fan. I described our culture: all differences are cast aside, in favor of a single, overwhelming, unifying force. Thus, I told her that not only was this the the way Bills fans are...that it's taught from a very young age, and expected.

Yes, I drank the Kool-Aid in 1960 and there is no cure! :thumbsup:

High 5, and Go Bills!

I took it as a good sign today that here in Vermont the first car I got behind on my drive to work had a Bills license plate ringer. Then when I was turning into the road I work on, a guy feeding the meter had a Bills shirt on - I gave him a hearty "Go Bills!" out of the window of my Jeep! :D

It all HAS to be a good sign... :beer:

I'm not sure if this belongs on the football board, but, it's about Bills fans, so...mods...do with it what you will.

I always get roped into helping my mom with her yearly school carnival. It's a day of disorganization, stupidity, and sloth...because of the adults. But, the kids have a ball, which is why I do it. It's a poor school in a poor neighborhood in a prison town. In short: it's a place where the 2nd amendment is exercized as a means of daily survival; thus a reality, not an abstraction, or a political talking point.

In this setting, I show up to begin work. I picked a bad time(by minutes) as it was time for the kids to leave for the day. When I showed up, with my Bills hat on, I caused chaos. The kids wanted to know who I was/what I was doing there, and 2 interesting things happened:

1. One kid asked me if I knew Sammy Watkins. I said of course. He beamed: "He's my cousin." "Wow! You're so lucky to have a cousin like that." I said, giving the approval he wanted. He then told me about all the times he's met him and what they've done. It was nice.

2. Next a girl marched up and said "You're a Bills fan? Ok, then high-five", and put up her hand. Of course I responded, and of course we both said "Go Bills". We all know that there is practically no situtation in which a Bills fan doesn't reciprocate a high five request from a fellow Bills fan, regadless of age, race, gender, whatever.

They funny part? Not everybody does. Later I was working a booth, and not only the same girl from before, but other fans came up and demanded high fives. I thought this was great. The art teacher working the booth with me? She couldn't comprehend it. The kids weren't goofing around. They were being serious. "High five! We're gonna win the division this year because Brady can't play 4 games" says one. "Tyrod is our QB, and he's good, high-five" says the next. And on it went.

It was fun to see the art teacher's reaction. I told her: "Hey you can be part of this too. There is no barrier to entry. You just have to learn football a little and cheer for the Bills. I can show you." She agreed. (I am thinking of showing her some other things too, like what she'd look like in a Sammy Watkins jersey...only. :devil: Yes, I know, a nice post ruined...but this is me after all, isn't it?)

Ruined? It was finally getting somewhere good. Pics? I bet an art teacher would be into body paint, just sayin'.

I live in Chicago and was wearing a Bills hat, and some guy I didn't know walked right up to me and said "there's just nothing comparable to being a Bills fan. Only we can truly understand it". It resonated, because I know exactly what it means. I'm a White Sox fan and a Sabres fan and it's just not the same. I was a Bulls fan when Jordan still played and it's just not the same. As the OP said in many more words, being a Bills fan is different and there are no barriers to entry.

High 5, and Go Bills!

I took it as a good sign today that here in Vermont the first car I got behind on my drive to work had a Bills license plate ringer. Then when I was turning into the road I work on, a guy feeding the meter had a Bills shirt on - I gave him a hearty "Go Bills!" out of the window of my Jeep! :D

It all HAS to be a good sign... :beer:

I'm so excited to see anything other than Patsies gear here in Vermont. Any time I see someone wearing Bills gear I make sure to go out of my way to give them the "GO BILLS!"

I live in Chicago and was wearing a Bills hat, and some guy I didn't know walked right up to me and said "there's just nothing comparable to being a Bills fan. Only we can truly understand it". It resonated, because I know exactly what it means. I'm a White Sox fan and a Sabres fan and it's just not the same. I was a Bulls fan when Jordan still played and it's just not the same. As the OP said in many more words, being a Bills fan is different and there are no barriers to entry.

Luxy, I get that from time to time as I use some hand towels at my gym that are Bills, and some Bills workout shirts. Never mazes me how faithful are fans are and how willing to come up to others and talk about our team. I love the comradre, and also funny my wife tells me there is unspoken bond amongst ex-Buffalo people. Her words "you guys all have an immediate connection as soon as you know you are both from Buffalo". Not too uncommon on the west coast of FL as more Buffalonians seem to move here more than the East Coast, hence the number of Bills bars down here.

I love my Bills, and love meeting ex-Buffalonians. I just knocked off a 12 pack with my family ( gave 4 to my best rep in South FL and made points with her as she is from Lockport ).