50% of all fresh produce in America is thrown away

The sheer amount of food we throw away is awful. Not just consumers either. I had a client, a homeless guy, once who ate almost exclusively from the dumpsters of local supermarkets. One day he brought some of his haul to show me what he meant: day-old baked goods (I'm talking whole cakes, boxes of cookies, muffins, danish, you name it), slightly bruised fruit (I'm talking cardboard boxes filled with it) as well as whole bags of oranges and apples. He said he's seen whole cartons of eggs and loaves of bread too.

One of the grocery stores around here (Hannaford, I think) has started selling the uglier produce at a lower cost. The apple orchard I get cider and donuts from sells half bushels of "second" apples, the ones they don't put out in the regular bags of nice apples, for use in baking/sauces/whatever. I just eat them after cutting out a spot or two, usually.

Edited by LeviF91

What we have here is an opportunity to make a lot of money. There is a surplus resource with no current use. Maybe start a Farmer's bruised fruit market? Slightly blue bread stand?

...and, the fact that it is being thrown away is meaningless.

The world doesn't have a food shortage problem, it has a distribution problem.

So saying that some African nation could really use this food is pointless.

My mother would bake for Dunkin' Donuts in the early 1970s as a part-time job. She'd work through the night and into the early morning. It just broke her heart how much was wasted. She would pack up the day old donuts and put them on neighbor's steps, when she got off work early in the morning, before the others began their day. I know, "day old donuts"... But the neighbors loved them. Free is free and they weren't bad. I betcha Dunkin Donuts hated it if they ever found out! How many people spent money @ Dunkin' Donuts on our street while growing up was probably: ZERO... ;-)

Did I ever tell you we have the world's most eaten/edible (outside of picky North American tastes) fish problem in the Midwest? Yes. Most eaten fish in the world and by far the healthiest (75% more omega-3 than the next fish, salmon). ;-) ;-)

As a society, we are so misguided in so many ways.

What we have here is an opportunity to make a lot of money. There is a surplus resource with no current use. Maybe start a Farmer's bruised fruit market? Slightly blue bread stand?

...and, the fact that it is being thrown away is meaningless.

The world doesn't have a food shortage problem, it has a distribution problem.

So saying that some African nation could really use this food is pointless.

Are you kidding me? Some of these jokes we call "farmer's markets" charge a cover jus to walk around. No way am I spending 5 bucks to walk around and then buy less than perfect food. Pay me to walk around first.

Don't even get me started on the trendy farmer's markets...

I rather give 20 bucks straight to the panhandler.

The sheer amount of food we throw away is awful. Not just consumers either. I had a client, a homeless guy, once who ate almost exclusively from the dumpsters of local supermarkets. One day he brought some of his haul to show me what he meant: day-old baked goods (I'm talking whole cakes, boxes of cookies, muffins, danish, you name it), slightly bruised fruit (I'm talking cardboard boxes filled with it) as well as whole bags of oranges and apples. He said he's seen whole cartons of eggs and loaves of bread too.

I knew a guy that worked abit at a Walmart deli and he said it's crazy what gets tossed. His deli did a hot and ready pizza thing that competes with Little Sleazers and Seven-Eleven. Their hot and ready pizza had a very short shelf life and most days they tossed alot more than what was sold.

I knew a guy that worked abit at a Walmart deli and he said it's crazy what gets tossed. His deli did a hot and ready pizza thing that competes with Little Sleazers and Seven-Eleven. Their hot and ready pizza had a very short shelf life and most days they tossed alot more than what was sold.

Doesn't matter how much was sold vs. tossed. How much did one of those pizzas cost vs. cost to produce?

I know it is Walmart, they might have been losing their shirt on those pies in order to get a foot hold against the competition... Early. But if they kept up w/the practice, they had be making money.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Are you kidding me? Some of these jokes we call "farmer's markets" charge a cover jus to walk around. No way am I spending 5 bucks to walk around and then buy less than perfect food. Pay me to walk around first.

Don't even get me started on the trendy farmer's markets...

I rather give 20 bucks straight to the panhandler.

The cover is for the validation that you're better than everyone else. It's a smug surcharge.

I knew a guy that worked at a Walmart deli and he said it's crazy what gets tossed. His deli did a hot and ready pizza thing that competes with Little Sleazers and Seven-Eleven. Their hot and ready pizza had a very short shelf life and most days they tossed alot more than what was sold.

Is anyone willing to wait 20mins for Walmart pizza?

How great is it that we've created a civilization where half our food is thrown out and no one notices?