Topic of the day 7/9:Player holdouts how do you choose sides

Von Miller is the latest holdout of note. There are claims that Gilmore could go the same route. If teams like Denver and the Bills are working within the salary system how do you decide if the player or the team is right?

(Sorry for the delay in getting this out)

Personally, I don't choose sides. It's business and the process has to work for both sides.

I don't blame any player for trying to get their worth. It's a short and brutal career. I think the holdout tactic is more agent-influenced because it's competitive drive that got the players into the NFL in the first place. I don't see that many (if any) want to miss time. I think sometimes an agent will oversell leverage to a player because there's been a few cases over the years where teams are just not going to budge.

It's hard to have any sympathy for teams if players do hold out. The second a player gets too old or costs too much, they'll discard them without a second thought.

I'm with Blokestradamus pretty much. The players have such little power in the NFL compared to other sports. We've all known that but this NBA free agency has put a spotlight on it. The NFL players need to fight for guaranteed money and they have short careers. It's really a difficult proposition to choose the owner's side in this debate. You would have an easier time sympathizing with the owners in MLB or NBA in a contract dispute. You don't see holdouts there because both sides live with the terms that they agreed to.

Good points and I'm somewhat Switzerland in these matters. I think some teams and players make mistakes though when they over play their leverage. The Jets Fitz problem is an example where both can lose on this deal if protracted.

Smart teams use their money wisely where they discard before players get too old like NE, and offer better deals early before a long dispute. If Gillmore for example would take more guaranteed money, but a lower contract than Norman, both sides win, and structure to not hurt the Bills this year. Both sides have to work towards the middle. What some players do by thinking they will be just as impactful on another team can be a mistake.

Gillmore again as an example plays well in this system, but could end up on Cleveland who over pays for him and he goes into an abyss. On the other side, it's nice having the deep pockets like the Pegulas as the owner who has to have enough cash on hand to deal with these guaranteed dollars in contracts. Owners with less wealth like Mark Davis have a harder time with guaranteeing some of these high dollar contracts.

Bottom line is it's a business, and negotiation so when both sides are a little unhappy, it's usually a good deal for both sides.

Brady has a base salary of $1M in 2016

APR 25 2016Suspended 4 games for his role in "deflategate", forfeiting $235,294 in 2016 salary with New England (NE)

some teams game the system

the salary cap forces parity if teams can draft and find good FAs

I don't think Gilmore will hold out this year or even a tag next year . He still has to prove he can stay healthy.

I used to get a bit perturbed over these matters. But no longer.

Not a fan of players under contract sitting out because they want more money now, though.

Pre season should really be for the bubble guys and rookies. But when the season starts..

Tagging players is part of the contract i think. and a contract is what it is.

Gilmore should be practicing if he is under contract