Calling EII...

Beerball

They have a lock on the Kaskaskia river... St. Louis District I think. :lol::lol: Little known fact, Kaskaskia was the first capital of Illinois.

Can't help you with the gator gar, et al. Except with these words of advice:

"The difference between a weed and a flower is a judgement."

We only have rainbows up here:

Look really close for the flying, farting purple unicorn.

Alligator Garden are not a threat to humans. They are a native species to that area and the Carp are not. I don't understand why anyone would be against this.

I agree. When I hydrograpically surveyed the Upper MS River 30 years ago, you'd see them from time to time.

If they wipe out the carp, gr8! We kinda know it isn't that hard to wipe the gar out.

Anyway, there are predators for Asian carp. Asian carp is NOT common carp, don't get the two confused. The predators when the carp are small are the perch, lake trout, walleye, bass, etc... When bigger, the gator gar and in native China, the almost extinct river dolphin. Pelican migration has even shifted further east from say central Iowa to Illinois somewhat.

The problem w/The Gr8 Lakes is they are mismanaging the fishery. Pacific salmon do not belong in the Middle Lakes (Erie, Huron, & Michigan)... Salmon from the PacNW have been stocked there since 1967 to combat another invasive: the alewife. Alwives took off in the 1950s when the top of the food chain lake trout was decimated by disease and pollution. Alewives eat the same thing as Asian carp. Salmon will only eat the alewives. Lakers, perch, etc... Won't care what they eat, even expensive stocked PacNW salmon fry. You see the problem. As long as they protect the salmon while the state DNRs rake in the bucks from selling salmon stamps on people's fishing license, they will continue to keep the door wide open for the AC!

Now that is The Lakes... Gar is NOT invasive to the big rivers of The Heartland... What's the problem? It is okay to combat an invasive w/a native... Just not an invasive w/another invasive.

But I am not a fancy biologist, what do I know...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois