Good Beach in Maine?

I'm thinking about taking the family to Maine for a short get-away at the end of July. The wife and I have two young children (6 & 2), so family friendly activities are important. A colleague of mine recommended Ogunquit as a good option.

Any recommendations for nice little beach towns to visit? Also, good hotels/resorts geared toward families? Thanks in advance you filthy animals!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not much help, but we loved Bar Harbor a few years ago. As for beach, we didn't find one with heated water. Of course, we were living in Florida at the time. A lot of cool little towns nearby. Enjoy!

Beaches in Maine are great, if you prefer rocks and fish netting to sand

I thought mentioning near freezing water was enough, I wasn't going to mention the rocks. But they really do have some great little towns and very cool areas. And lobster everywhere! (Apparently the main predator of the lobster was over-fished, hence an abundance.)

Stop at Bagaduce Lunch if your near Brooksville, great fish sandwich and lobster rolls. Also, Holbrook Island Sactuary is a nice natural park if your in that area.

Like the previous poster said, Bar Harbor is very nice and Acadia National Park has some amazing views

I'm thinking about taking the family to Maine for a short get-away at the end of July. The wife and I have two young children (6 & 2), so family friendly activities are important. A colleague of mine recommended Ogunquit as a good option.

Any recommendations for nice little beach towns to visit? Also, good hotels/resorts geared toward families? Thanks in advance you filthy animals!!

Any beach with public toilets that can accommodate your oversized cumquats.

Like the previous poster said, Bar Harbor is very nice and Acadia National Park has some amazing views

haha - unless it's foggy! (Serious possibility.) We took some sight seeing trolley and heard, more than once, "if you could see anything out the left side it would look like...." He drove that thing like a mule who could do the trek into the Grand Canyon blindfolded.

haha - unless it's foggy! (Serious possibility.) We took some sight seeing trolley and heard, more than once, "if you could see anything out the left side it would look like...." He drove that thing like a mule who could do the trek into the Grand Canyon blindfolded.

Ha, nice. A sightseeing tour where you can't see anything

Definitely looking for sandy beaches. Anyone ever been to Ogunquit?

Any beach with public toilets that can accommodate your oversized cumquats.

I cup from the front now and set them down safely in the bowl. Problem solved.

So off the subject (but not really), I have been bringing my family on some pseudo-work trips, which I thought was nice because we can stay at somewhat fancy hotels.

But then we went on one trip and stayed at a regular old residence inn. It was awesome. We had a 2-bedroom suite for like $250; they had a great heated pool; and tons of free food all the time. More importantly, we had space to set up two cribs for our 1.5 year old twins and a separate room for our 5-year old. (Unlike the fancy places, where we are jammed in on top of each other). Not fancy, but so great for a family.

Oh, we definitely need a hotel with a bedroom/living room deal.

Go to Cape Cod and stay on the bay side. Great towns, warm water, no surf, gentle slope, the low tide creates hundreds of yards of tide pools to explore, etc.

Perfect for little kids.

Avoid P-Town, though. Not so perfect for little kids.

I actually prefer the ocean side, myself. But the nice thing about the Cape is that it's small enough that it's not like choosing any location really isolates you from the rest.

Avoid P-Town, though. Not so perfect for little kids.

I actually prefer the ocean side, myself. But the nice thing about the Cape is that it's small enough that it's not like choosing any location really isolates you from the rest.

LOL -- "Dad, why are those two guys holding hands?" -- me, on my first visit to P-town, circa 1978.

Ocean side is beautiful and fun for a day at the beach; we'll usually do a day at Nauset or Cahoon Hollow beach, but no way you can take young kids into that surf.

As for Maine, we had a nice week at Sebago Lake a few years ago. Not much of a town near where we stayed on the east side, but the lake is great. I'd do that again over an ocean front trip.

Edited by KD in CA