Former Bills OL Kyle Calloway passes away

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your comment assumes that he knew the train was coming and he could avoid it--that it would do him no harm.. Nothing known indicates this is true.

You don't need to see danger coming to make decisions based on your perceived ability to cheat death. He likely thought he would see/hear/avoid a train coming at him. He was wrong. Obviously.

Most industrial have them also around 1min conductor that hit a guy a few years ago was talking about it. The guy he hit this time was standing on the rail, head down hands at his waist. Launched 150'.

Said he has hit over 20 people. Suicide mostly. Most conductors have.

He hit a couple holding hands in Phili. I don't remember but he may have said one of them survived.

The week after he hit the guy on my land he hit a deer and stopped the train thinking it was a person. In 20 yrs there has been about 5-6 suicides in the mile or so stretch.

That's eye opening, I had no idea it was that common.

You don't need to see danger coming to make decisions based on your perceived ability to cheat death. He likely thought he would see/hear/avoid a train coming at him. He was wrong. Obviously.

You aren't consciously "cheating death" (deciding to do so) if you don't realize death is likely and imminent.

No one would put on headphones and jog down the middle of 490 at 3 am and not look to see if an occasional car was coming.

Boyst and others seem more correct. Consider suicide.

You aren't consciously "cheating death" (deciding to do so) if you don't realize death is likely and imminent.

No one would put on headphones and jog down the middle of 490 at 3 am and not look to see if an occasional car was coming.

Boyst and others seem more correct. Consider suicide.

Why? Was that the first time he was running near the tracks? Did he even leave a suicide note?

And people often engage in high-risk activities without a clear and present danger.

I thought about this years ago, as i always had a fascination with trains. My GrandMother and her two husbands she survived worked for the Railroad for most of their lives.

But I got thinking about all the things that must get hit by a locomotive that cannot be helped. And i was then made aware that people were hit and killed.

I could never bear that burden.

its a sad thing no matter what. Whether intentional stupid or just a rare accident.

Sometimes the why doesn't even matter does it ?

Former Bills 7th round pick Kyle Calloway died after being hit by a train.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000673064/article/former-bills-iowa-ol-kyle-calloway-killed-by-train?campaign=tw-cf-sf30331546-sf30331546

"Former Iowa Hawkeyes offensive lineman Kyle Calloway, a 2010 seventh-round draft pick of the Buffalo Bills, was killed by a train on Saturday in Tucson, Arizona. He was 29 years old.

A Tucson Police Department release stated that Calloway was jogging westbound on and off railroad tracks when he was struck from behind by a train. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

"That was what he did for exercise," Ed Calloway, Kyle's father, told The Gazette of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. "He liked to run and it had rained the day before and the area where he ran was muddy, and so he was going back and forth across the tracks to get out of the mud."

Calloway was a three-year starter for the Hawkeyes and was twice selected second-team All-Big Ten. He was released by the Bills during the preseason of his rookie year. He signed with the Ravens the following year and appeared in two preseason games for Baltimore before being released.

The family is donating Calloway's brain to study the potential effects of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), per The Gazette."

RIP.

didn't he hear the train?

was this a suicide?

proof that running is bad exercise.

CTE would be inconclusive after being hit by a train.

It's obviously tragic for Kyle and his family but spare a thought for the driver of the train.

How do you process that and go back to work?

You just put it out of your mind.

We had a guy get crushed to death at work and we kept on working. Everyone thought this was complete BS as they should have sent use home. Those who had vacation could go but the rest had to take lost time and not get paid or keep working which is what I did. It was very hard to concentrate that is for sure.

Running in front of trains is a very popular pastime in Tucson. I'm surprised more people don't get hit. :death:

:o:blink::wacko::doh:

I thought about this years ago, as i always had a fascination with trains. My GrandMother and her two husbands she survived worked for the Railroad for most of their lives.

But I got thinking about all the things that must get hit by a locomotive that cannot be helped. And i was then made aware that people were hit and killed.

I could never bear that burden.

its a sad thing no matter what. Whether intentional stupid or just a rare accident.

Sometimes the why doesn't even matter does it ?

You have a unique ability too put things in perspective, even amongst all of us crazies.