Former Bills OL Kyle Calloway passes away

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no one has even suggested Kyle knew the train was coming. Maybe wanted to disguise taking his life as an accident for his parents' sake. Especially with them donating his brain for CTE research very willingly.

Me either. I apologise for the distraction

I can hear the %$^&*)#@! Horns at 3:00am sometimes, even though it's a no blow zone. And I'm a couple miles or more away. No fast speed trains nearby, just freight and it makes a frigging racket! I wasn't kidding about the organ vibration. Every situation is different, but people also need to use common sense. I've done it again! It's a horrible loss for a young man, his family and friends. Hopefully something good can come of this: AWARENESS. Don't jog on the tracks, dont' park on the tracks, don't NAP on the tracks. (A friend did that in college, but we found him on the way home from the bar.)

I would disagree. Putting yourself in an environment where you're subject to undue risk is intelligence. He was working out, not train spotting. It's no different than the idiot that went biking in bear country. Chomp chomp. Tragedy? Nope. Stupidity.

Still tragic. Regardless.

I'm surprised no one has even suggested Kyle knew the train was coming. Maybe wanted to disguise taking his life as an accident for his parents' sake. Especially with them donating his brain for CTE research very willingly.

That's actually a very interesting point I had not considered. Wonder what his behavior had been like?

I can hear the %$^&*)#@! Horns at 3:00am sometimes, even though it's a no blow zone. And I'm a couple miles or more away. No fast speed trains nearby, just freight and it makes a frigging racket! I wasn't kidding about the organ vibration. Every situation is different, but people also need to use common sense. I've done it again! It's a horrible loss for a young man, his family and friends. Hopefully something good can come of this: AWARENESS. Don't jog on the tracks, dont' park on the tracks, don't NAP on the tracks. (A friend did that in college, but we found him on the way home from the bar.)

Augie I live in Fairport NY. Use to be a very real Erie canal town, but like East Rochester it became a train town for manufactured goods and such.

We have a lot of train traffic.

And they are loud as heck coming into town. The fright trains with 3 locomotives can shake your feet when getting up to full "steam".

Sure as heck know when they are about to hit main street!!

But i have been in Macedon and Palmyra in the rural areas and was surprised by the gates swinging down and very quickly an Amtrak flying by to NYC.

It should be common sense to stay away from the rails. But for some it is not. It should be common sense not to tailgate a car at 65 while texting too.

But i see it every day nearly.

Mistakes happen.

The best thing that can occur from tragedy is someone learns something and holds that in their mind. and Hopefully teach another. :thumbsup:

That's actually a very interesting point I had not considered. Wonder what his behavior had been like?

I actually thought it was the most likely thing - because of the immediate CTE thing.

I actually thought it was the most likely thing - because of the immediate CTE thing.

I guess maybe I'm slow to catch on, but I hope they can get to the bottom of it. Assuming they find serious CTE evidence, what do you do about it? What steps can be taken? I know they've gotten into tacking education, etc, but how do you make the game safe? It can't happen, so it's a choice people make. (Our kids weren't allowed to play before high school, but that's just us.)

Seems like it's not that horrible to me. If you kid had see it coming, and die instantly.

Kid here was jogging with headphones. In middle of blizzard. Got hit at 45mph. Launched him 80 yards and down a ravene. He was essentially torn in half but alive for 3 hours.

It's obviously tragic for Kyle and his family but spare a thought for the driver of the train.

How do you process that and go back to work?

it happens so !uch they fet used to it

Worse story I heard was a 19 yr old recent grad. She just broke up with her girlfriend. Her and her friend were going to take pills, sleeping pills etc, and walk down the center of the tracks until they passed out.

Worser story, idiot kid was walking on train tracks with headphones. Got hit by train doing 10 mph I. Downtown Thomasville

Worsest story. Old man walking dog went to cross between stopped train cars. Train started to go. Cut him in half.

They're doing railroad Construcion by me. Ive heard a lot.

Kid here was jogging with headphones. In middle of blizzard. Got hit at 45mph. Launched him 80 yards and down a ravene. He was essentially torn in half but alive for 3 hours. it happens so !uch they fet used to it

Worse story I heard was a 19 yr old recent grad. She just broke up with her girlfriend. Her and her friend were going to take pills, sleeping pills etc, and walk down the center of the tracks until they passed out.

Worser story, idiot kid was walking on train tracks with headphones. Got hit by train doing 10 mph I. Downtown Thomasville

Worsest story. Old man walking dog went to cross between stopped train cars. Train started to go. Cut him in half.

Wow, that is just SO MANY poor decisions! I wonder how often that happens across the country. I'll go to hell for this, but sometimes the herd finds a way to thin itself. I hope people hear this story and learn that being on the train tracks (or playing in traffic) is dangerous.

The people from Nebraska may not have known, but you never lets kids or dogs near a lagoon in Florida. If you don't know, you don't know. So LEARN.

Depends on if they are paying attention/awake.

I guess. Even so, "working out" on railroad tracks and not wondering if there might be a train coming at some point is just beyond my comprehension as something that one could say.."yeah, I could see this happening".

No...

I guess. Even so, "working out" on railroad tracks and not wondering if there might be a train coming at some point is just beyond my comprehension as something that one could say.."yeah, I could see this happening".

No...

I think it happens more often than you'd think. Some people think they're invincible.

Running in front of trains is a very popular pastime in Tucson. I'm surprised more people don't get hit. :death:

Kid here was jogging with headphones. In middle of blizzard. Got hit at 45mph. Launched him 80 yards and down a ravene. He was essentially torn in half but alive for 3 hours.

it happens so !uch they fet used to it

When my dad was a kid growing up in Dunkirk, he had a cousin who died trying to cross the tracks to beat a train. His cousin made it across the first set of tracks but didn't see the other train coming in the opposite direction and ran right into its oncoming path. Killled him instantly, taking off half of his face/head. Horrible.

I think it happens more often than you'd think. Some people think they're invincible.

Your comment assumes that he knew the train was coming and he could avoid it--that it would do him no harm.. Nothing known indicates this is true.

Depends on if they are paying attention/awake.

amtrack has 30 second deadmans switches. Every 30 sec you gotta hit the button or it stops.

Most industrial have them also around 1min

Wow, that is just SO MANY poor decisions! I wonder how often that happens across the country. I'll go to hell for this, but sometimes the herd finds a way to thin itself. I hope people hear this story and learn that being on the train tracks (or playing in traffic) is dangerous.

The people from Nebraska may not have known, but you never lets kids or dogs near a lagoon in Florida. If you don't know, you don't know. So LEARN.

conductor that hit a guy a few years ago was talking about it. The guy he hit this time was standing on the rail, head down hands at his waist. Launched 150'.

Said he has hit over 20 people. Suicide mostly. Most conductors have.

He hit a couple holding hands in Phili. I don't remember but he may have said one of them survived.

The week after he hit the guy on my land he hit a deer and stopped the train thinking it was a person. In 20 yrs there has been about 5-6 suicides in the mile or so stretch.

I caught an early morning train from Vienna to Budapest, and was making good time. After we crossed over to Hungary, the train was travelling at a good rate of speed........then suddenly locked up it's brakes! I was thrown from my seat, backpacks flying from over head, I can't believe we didn't jackknife! Everyone was speaking Hungarian(one of the hardest languages in the world), so it was difficult to sense what happened. Then finally someone explained to me someone jumped in front of the train. The train conductors walked up and down the tracks a good distance. They were combing out there with flashlights hours later. It seemed they couldn't find any remnants. I think that train just obliterated someone

He wouldn't hear the horn blowing as the train approached on that long straight length? Or did he just jump onto that long stretch without looking or seeing a train close approaching?

And "buddy"? Really?

Yes "buddy". I don't need a lecture on how living near train tracks is noisy. I've spent more time in a month around trains than most probably spend in a lifetime. I was just pointing out it's completely feasible to not hear a train approaching from behind, especially if you're wearing headphones. The guys operating three things are human also. It's possible they didn't see him. Could have been bs'ing, not paying attention, or doing a million other things. Heat rising from tracks and the perspective from being up in an engine cab can play tricks with your eyes. So while you want to be a know it all, I'm just saying the whole situation isn't that unfathomable, even though it certainly could have been avoided.

Yes "buddy". I don't need a lecture on how living near train tracks is noisy. I've spent more time in a month around trains than most probably spend in a lifetime. I was just pointing out it's completely feasible to not hear a train approaching from behind, especially if you're wearing headphones. The guys operating three things are human also. It's possible they didn't see him. Could have been bs'ing, not paying attention, or doing a million other things. Heat rising from tracks and the perspective from being up in an engine cab can play tricks with your eyes. So while you want to be a know it all, I'm just saying the whole situation isn't that unfathomable, even though it certainly could have been avoided.

Sorry. To me it's unfathomable that a guy would, as a regular practice, work out on train tracks and not be aware that a train may be coming at some point, to not look for a train and be completely unaware that it is inches away from hitting him. If you say you have been jogging on tracks and not been aware of an oncoming train, then...you got me.