Former Bills OL Kyle Calloway passes away

Whatever your opinion is on bicycles, riding on the road is, in most places legal and even proper protocol in many cases. Running on an active railroad track is almost always at the very least, and universally discouraged. The two aren't comparable.

In fact it is comparable. I would argue it's a lot more likely that a car whizzing by is going to clip you than it is to get hit by a train. If you are exercising do it off the busy roads or do it off peak hours or on the sidewalk. Too many bad and distracted drivers out there for people to leave their lives in their hands. I run on the sidewalk to the local high school track and exercise there myself

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably was wearing headphones but oncoming trains are actually shockingly quiet. Unless he was near a crossing where they would be blowing the horn, a train can be almost on top of you before you know it. Amtrak traveling at high speed is even more quiet & fast approaching.

If you have lived near a train/track, you will know the quietest train is very loud--especially non passenger trains. Those would have to be some serious noise cancelling headphones or insanely loud music. Also, unlike a car, a train doesn't appear out of nowhere or from around a corner nor do they run stoplights, etc---they don't sneak up on you.

If you have lived near a train/track, you will know the quietest train is very loud--especially non passenger trains. Those would have to be some serious noise cancelling headphones or insanely loud music. Also, unlike a car, a train doesn't appear out of nowhere or from around a corner nor do they run stoplights, etc---they don't sneak up on you.

When i was a young kid my stepfather (at the time) was a foreman for Union Pacific railroad

One of the perks is they gave us free housing....but that free housing is RIGHT by the railroad tracks. If you live by trains long enough you actually get comfortable with the sounds they make and tend to ignore them (the horn always gets your attn though)

When i was a young kid my stepfather (at the time) was a foreman for Union Pacific railroad

One of the perks is they gave us free housing....but that free housing is RIGHT by the railroad tracks. If you live by trains long enough you actually get comfortable with the sounds they make and tend to ignore them (the horn always gets your attn though)

You're probably right, but I don't know how comfortable this guy was with hearing trains. And even with trains being "quiet", I doubt their horns are. Unless the train never saw him either and didn't blow its horn. Anyway, this was a completely preventable death had the victim used better judgement.

It's easier to ignore the train sounds form your home. Seems impossible when you are on the track with a train a few yards away.

I work in the railroad industry buddy and I promise I've spent more time around the tracks than most people. Trust me there are plenty of sections of straight track where approaching trains are fairly quiet. If he was running with his back to the track it's very feasible he didn't hear it coming even with a set of basic headphones.

I work in the railroad industry buddy and I promise I've spent more time around the tracks than most people. Trust me there are plenty of sections of straight track where approaching trains are fairly quiet. If he was running with his back to the track it's very feasible he didn't hear it coming even with a set of basic headphones.

He wouldn't hear the horn blowing as the train approached on that long straight length? Or did he just jump onto that long stretch without looking or seeing a train close approaching?

And "buddy"? Really?

He wouldn't hear the horn blowing as the train approached on that long straight length? Or did he just jump onto that long stretch without looking or seeing a train close approaching?

And "buddy"? Really?

Maybe the train was running in stealth mode...

And "buddy"? Really?

Trains only blow their whistle at crossing as far as I know, why does everyone disect something like this so much, it's tragic it happened!

Trains only blow their whistle at crossing as far as I know, why does everyone disect something like this so much, it's tragic it happened!

I think they also blow the horn when they see some nut jogging IN the railroad tracks. Pretty sure anyway.

This is truly tragic to lose a life so young. However, I live in an area with a lot of active train tracks. I can't imagine why train horns should exist except for the most dire emergencies (like this). The gates go down, the red lights start flashing and the DING, DING, DING starts. If that's not enough, your internal organs begin to vibrate when the GIANT LOCOMOTIVE draws near, roaring down the tracks. How people die this way is beyond me. Sorry, but this is a pet peeve. I get caught waiting for the train far too often trying to get to the office or about town. It 's tragic when it happens, but usually people are doing something foolish. Don't do THAT.

And now I'll make my reservation in hell.

Edited by Augie

He probably was wearing headphones but oncoming trains are actually shockingly quiet. Unless he was near a crossing where they would be blowing the horn, a train can be almost on top of you before you know it. Amtrak traveling at high speed is even more quiet & fast approaching.

This is a surprising fact.

Its an accident and tragedy. lets not discount the value of human life with negative commentary about some ones intelligence.

and of course there may well be more to the story that we will never know. Family was quick to donate his brain for study and research.

RIP Kid

I think they also blow the horn when they see some nut jogging IN the railroad tracks. Pretty sure anyway.

conjecture your honor!

How do you even run on railroad tracks? If it's not an accident in the making, isn't surely a sprained ankle within the first 5 minutes?

I used to do it for the discipline of taking the odd unnatural gaited steps. Sometimes i would skip a tie, sometimes i would short step and hit every tie. Very good for foot eye coordination. seriously. and not easy to maintain with out focus. as you mentioned it is not easy and a miss is painful

This is truly tragic to lose a life so young. However, I live in an area with a lot of active train tracks. I can't imagine why train horns should exist except for the most dire emergencies (like this). The gates go down, the red lights start flashing and the DING, DING, DING starts. If that's not enough, your internal organs begin to vibrate when the GIANT LOCOMOTIVE draws near, roaring down the tracks. How people die this way is beyond me. Sorry, but this is a pet peeve. I get caught waiting for the train far too often trying to get to the office or about town. It 's tragic when it happens, but usually people are doing something foolish. Don't do THAT.

And now I'll make my reservation in hell.

Augie, the trains do not alway blow. Those horns cannot be missed !

The amtraks running 70 + mph around a bend could easily sneak up on you.

I suggest everyone here attempt safe science experiment.

As i said there is often more to the story. Was it a two lane set of tracks?

This happens more often than folks realize perhaps.

this is a weak effort on my part. but it does show accidental deaths occur

http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/officeofsafety/publicsite/summary.aspx

Its an accident and tragedy. lets not discount the value of human life with negative commentary about some ones intelligence.

and of course there may well be more to the story that we will never know. Family was quick to donate his brain for study and research.

RIP Kid

Amen!!!

Not about intelligence as much as awareness, but I don't want my rant to take away from a tragic loss.

Amen!!!

Not about intelligence as much as awareness, but I don't want my rant to take away from a tragic loss.

Me either. I apologise for the distraction

Edited by 3rdand12

Amen!!!

I would disagree. Putting yourself in an environment where you're subject to undue risk is intelligence. He was working out, not train spotting. It's no different than the idiot that went biking in bear country. Chomp chomp. Tragedy? Nope. Stupidity.