Judge prevents 10 year old golf prodigy from playing

Saxum

http://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2016/07/va-judge-bans-10-year-old-phenom-from-golf-in-custody-battle/

A Loudoun County, Virginia, judge has banned a promising 10-year-old golfer from playing tournaments in the next year, as part of a contentious custody battle between her parents.

The girl has been called a “phenom” and “prodigy” by golf professionals who have worked with her over the years, after her father bought her a set of plastic clubs when she was 3 years old.

In 2014, just before she turned 9 years old, she shot a six-under-par 30 in the nine-hole NoVa Fall Tour Championship. Last year, she won the all-ages women’s division in the 2015 club championships for Algonkian Golf Course, in Sterling.

I am sure this is partly to punish father:

The girl’s father, Michael Vechery, who also is her coach, told sports website Deadspin she has won 11 of the last 12 tournaments she’s entered in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Golf: (The daughter) shall not be permitted to play competitive golf for one year. Competitive golf is defined by the court as no tournaments and no lessons with any golf pro with the exception of the Father. The Father and (his daughter) may play no more than one round of golf per week or five hours with putting and practice whichever is greater.

Yes punish the child because mother is unhappy with father.

Before passing judgement, I would like to know the daughter's opinion.

Part of the reason of the divorce could be that the father is forcing the daughter to play excessively. We've all seen parents do this too.

-And it's not hard for a girl to be a "prodigy" in golf at that age. The sport is practically non-existent before high school for boys.. much less any kind of competition for girls.

I know it says "all-ages", but if you've ever been to these women's tournaments, they can barely scrape together any competition beyond greenies. Maybe wait until she has an JLPGA membership before forcing a career on the kid.

Edited by unbillievable

Part of the reason of the divorce could be that the father is forcing the daughter to play excessively. We've all seen parents do this too.

-And it's not hard for a girl to be a "prodigy" in golf at that age. The sport is practically non-existent before high school for boys.. much less any kind of competition for girls.

I know it says "all-ages", but if you've ever been to these women's tournaments, they can barely scrape together any competition beyond greenies. Maybe wait until she has an JLPGA membership before forcing a career on the kid.

I don't know anything about golf, but isn't the 6 under par-9 hole pretty awesome for an 8 year old?

Edited by Acantha

-And it's not hard for a girl to be a "prodigy" in golf at that age. The sport is practically non-existent before high school for boys.. much less any kind of competition for girls. Any girl that is halfway competent will dominate every sport in elementary school.

She beat adult women in tournament at golf course last year; read article on her last year which is why article stood out. Evidently divorce custody proceedings have been going on for seven years. Have had too many friends who have got divorced, have had vindictive ex-wives who moved to different area and still wanted alimony while she was shacking up with boyfriends not getting married so they could continue getting alimony and child support.

http://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2016/07/va-judge-bans-10-year-old-phenom-from-golf-in-custody-battle/

I am sure this is partly to punish father:

Yes punish the child because mother is unhappy with father.

If I'm the girl I tell the judge he has no right to take my passion away, and then not visit mom.

She beat adult women in tournament at golf course last year; read article on her last year which is why article stood out. Evidently divorce custody proceedings have been going on for seven years. Have had too many friends who have got divorced, have had vindictive ex-wives who moved to different area and still wanted alimony while she was shacking up with boyfriends not getting married so they could continue getting alimony and child support.

Beating adults in golf isn't hard. (x1000 if you're a girl). Actually, adults are easier to beat since the real challenge is beating other children vying for school teams rather than adults out for a weekend of fun; And I've yet to see a women's division (that wasn't LPGA sponsored) that attracted more than your weekend hacker housewife.

I agree that the possibility of the crazy vindictive ex is more likely in this scenario, but I also don't like the idea of "prodigies" because it somehow feels like child abuse that happens to have positive results.

this is a hilarious story. women peak physically at a younger age with their athletic ability. this is why gymnasts in the olympics are almost never over 20 years old, swimmers not much further beyond that, too. it is the easier sports women last longer. taking away the girls right to golf is hilarious.

this being a part of a divorce proceeding is even better because men get bent over so damn bad in court and the women get free passes to do whatever they want.

again, 'Murika!