Hard not to root for this kid: Marquis Lucas

First, Ty Dunne is killing it with these kinds of stories. He's a very talented writer. BN better take care of him.

Second, I didn't even know this kid was on the team. What a story. Glad he and Miller bonded. Sometimes it's about more than football. Hope Lucas makes it somewhere - anywhere.

It's a touching story. TD is clearly the bizzaro Sullivan!

His story really puts into perspective the days that I consider to be my bad days.

Predraft reports had him as camp fodder, hope he proves them wrong and blows them away.

Does it seem that there are a lot of NFL players, potential and otherwise, with hard luck cases from Florida?

It probably has something to do with education system there since the Phish stink cannot carry so far.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/06/30/from-homeless-and-heartbroken-to-a-shot-with-the-bills/

What a story. While the odds are as slim as they get it is hard not to root for this guy.

There are so many stories like this in the NFL...........you almost gotta' be desperate to chase a bottom roster spot on an NFL team......and some of these guys would be working 30 hour weeks for minimum wage and not making ends meet if they weren't playing football and the first years paychecks might be more than their parent(s) earned in the entire time they were growing up.

How about Mario Butler? Somebody killed his dad and chopped him up and put him in his own refrigerator.

I generally say "root for the laundry" but stories like these are the exception. Guys with perhaps marginal talent but a whole lot of want-to.

One of the main reasons we love football more than all the other great sports in the US is that we respect the toughness and the struggles these guys go thru to get on that field.

Yeah, there's a few feel-good stories trying to make the roster this season. I'm pretty much a sucker for this sort of human interest drama. Some fans care about what kind of people are playing on their team, and what they do off the field, and some only care about what they do on the field. I'm definitely in the former category. It would be very cool to see this guy excel, and make it onto the team.

Yeah, there's a few feel-good stories trying to make the roster this season. I'm pretty much a sucker for this sort of human interest drama. Some fans care about what kind of people are playing on their team, and what they do off the field, and some only care about what they do on the field. I'm definitely in the former category. It would be very cool to see this guy excel, and make it onto the team.

You can turn 90% of the NFL players into "feel good stories"

After reading through the comments below the story, you'd think TD was just another hack and the story is just another bull **** feel-good story.

How many times do I have to remind myself not to read the comments on the internets?

This is definitely a great story. I can see him falling on a practice squad for sure.

After reading through the comments below the story, you'd think TD was just another hack and the story is just another bull **** feel-good story.

How many times do I have to remind myself not to read the comments on the internets?

I saw that too. These are the people that just complain. Simple as that. Most of the complainants on the news page couldn't write a birthday card to their mother from her basement. :D

There are so many stories like this in the NFL...........you almost gotta' be desperate to chase a bottom roster spot on an NFL team......and some of these guys would be working 30 hour weeks for minimum wage and not making ends meet if they weren't playing football and the first years paychecks might be more than their parent(s) earned in the entire time they were growing up.

How about Mario Butler? Somebody killed his dad and chopped him up and put him in his own refrigerator.

I generally say "root for the laundry" but stories like these are the exception. Guys with perhaps marginal talent but a whole lot of want-to.

One of the main reasons we love football more than all the other great sports in the US is that we respect the toughness and the struggles these guys go thru to get on that field.

I respect this post.

This is definitely a great story. I can see him falling on a practice squad for sure.

I saw that too. These are the people that just complain. Simple as that. Most of the complainants on the news page couldn't write a birthday card to their mother from her basement. :D

;)

You can turn 90% of the NFL players into "feel good stories"

Really?

Just growing up and playing football, regardless of background, does not make for a feel good story. Why don't you try living as this kid did for a month and then come back and tell me that his circumstances were not especially challenging.