Topic of the day 6/30: One hit wonder - trifecta

Dig deep into your memories to see if you can come up with the following Trifecta:

- One coach or player that had one good season with the Bills then faded into the background

- A different coach or player that had one good game with the Bills then faded into the background

- Yet another player (coach does not work here) that had one good play with the Bills then faded into the background

What ya got?

1 season, Brandon Spoon, 2001, 65 tackles, 2 pick-6 INT's, never played another season. Injury?

1 game, Kiko Alonso, Bills v. Ravens, 2INT's. The Legend was never quite the same after that.

1 play, Tim Tindale, 44YD TD run, Bills v Fish, 12/30/95. The Don Shula retirement game. Bills rolled up 341 yds rushing with Tindale applying the coup de grace. Honorable mention: Moats ending Favre's career.

Sam Cowart in the 2000 season - 12 games played - injured ankle - makes pro bowl. Returns next season tears Achilles and is never the same player again or Jim Schwartz DC 2015

Frank Reich - greatest comeback game ever

Bacari Rambo intercepts Aaron Rogers twice in one game - not done much since

Going old school:

Dennis Shaw had one good season - ROY - and zip after that. I really thought he was going to be something.

Jaime Mueller had one good game (statistically speaking) when he caught the winning TD pass from Kelly in final minutes against Jets. That was the biggest of his 4 career TDs. I was at that game watching from the opposite end zone.

Preston Ridlehuber had one great play - a halfback option pass for a long TD that helped Bills beat Pats in a 1969 night game. I remember the radio call and wondering "who is that guy"? He was filling in for an injured OJ.

Sam Cowart in the 2000 season - 12 games played - injured ankle - makes pro bowl. Returns next season tears Achilles and is never the same player again or Jim Schwartz DC 2015

I'll have to think more about mine, but I think Rambo also had a really good game against the Jets for TNF.

Going old school:

Dennis Shaw had one good season - ROY - and zip after that. I really thought he was going to be something.

Jaime Mueller had one good game (statistically speaking) when he caught the winning TD pass from Kelly in final minutes against Jets. That was the biggest of his 4 career TDs. I was at that game watching from the opposite end zone.

Preston Ridlehuber had one great play - a halfback option pass for a long TD that helped Bills beat Pats in a 1969 night game. I remember the radio call and wondering "who is that guy"? He was filling in for an injured OJ.

Damn you! I immediately thought of P.Ridlehuber -hero of the Heidi Game.

Mularky had a good season and brought hope til he bolted. Terry Miller had a surprise rookie Season and Mini-Max Anderson was a gem in 2 years of futility.

Dig deep into your memories to see if you can come up with the following Trifecta:

- One coach or player that had one good season with the Bills then faded into the background

- A different coach or player that had one good game with the Bills then faded into the background

- Yet another player (coach does not work here) that had one good play with the Bills then faded into the background

What ya got?

Season: It's so recent, but it fits: Kyle Orton - threw for over 3,000 yards and 18 TDs in 12 games with a 7-5 record as a starter...then retires

Game: Emanuel Martin - street FA intercepts Troy Aikman 3 times in a 10-7 victory back in 1996

Play: Jonathan "Fast Freddie" Smith and his 53-yard punt return TD against the Rams in 2004--the man ended up with a total of 32 career NFL touches including punt and kick returns

1 season, Brandon Spoon, 2001, 65 tackles, 2 pick-6 INT's, never played another season. Injury?

1 game, Kiko Alonso, Bills v. Ravens, 2INT's. The Legend was never quite the same after that.

1 play, Tim Tindale, 44YD TD run, Bills v Fish, 12/30/95. The Don Shula retirement game. Bills rolled up 341 yds rushing with Tindale applying the coup de grace. Honorable mention: Moats ending Favre's career.

Nice. Was thinking of Tindale also.

I'll just weigh in on the "one good play" category: unknown Bill Cahill busting a 51-yard punt return back for a TD on the last game of the year in 1973, against the Jets, effectively putting the game out of reach.

Oh yeah -- that was the same game in which OJ broke Jim Brown's single season rushing record. I watched that game with my brothers on a broken down black & white TV in the dingy basement of our house. To our minds, Cahill's punt return was the most exciting play in that game, because we cared much more about the Bills getting the win than that rushing record!

Did you hear Ted Cottrell talk about Cowart last week or the week before? Said he was in the same conversation with Ray Lewis until that achilles injury, which everyone thought was dirty. Sam had three sacks in the first half against Tampa and then the Bucs took him out for good. That killed the Bills' season as well; they lost three starting defenders that day.

Did you hear Ted Cottrell talk about Cowart last week or the week before? Said he was in the same conversation with Ray Lewis until that achilles injury, which everyone thought was dirty. Sam had three sacks in the first half against Tampa and then the Bucs took him out for good. That killed the Bills' season as well; they lost three starting defenders that day.

Yeah that injury really changed the course of his career and maybe was a major setback for the Bills.

!@#$ing Frank Middleton

Season: It's so recent, but it fits: Kyle Orton - threw for over 3,000 yards and 18 TDs in 12 games with a 7-5 record as a starter...then retires

Game: Emanuel Martin - street FA intercepts Troy Aikman 3 times in a 10-7 victory back in 1996

Play: Jonathan "Fast Freddie" Smith and his 53-yard punt return TD against the Rams in 2004--the man ended up with a total of 32 career NFL touches including punt and kick returns

Extra points for referencing the correct "Fast Freddie". Orton is a great season pick.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Funny that you mention Orton because by the numbers you are correct - he had a good season. However, was anybody sad to hear of his retirement? Nope.

Van with the call "Tim Tindale, the Canadian Comet, in for the Touchdown!!" Found this awesome video of one of the greatest games in Bills history (Tindale at 4:18):

Nice video. Thanks for linking that.