Found my first pay stub!!!

Beerball

Back in the day, when BUF had a large steel & auto industry, there were a good number of bars surrounding the plants. People would get paid, cash their check at the bar, pay the last week (or two) bar bill, and start all over again.

Pretty sure the Tonawanda Chevy Plant had a Bar within the confines of the parking lot.

I dunno, that seems pretty recent. You sure it's not your grandson's paystub?

Beer wages were by no means limited to Mesopotamia. In ancient Egypt, there are records of people receiving beer for their work—roughly 4 to 5 liters per day for people building the pyramids.
These salaries weren't just about keeping workers drunk so they would be more compliant. In the ancient world, beer was a hearty, starchy brew that could double as a meal.

One of my favorite series Firefly explores this in :

http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Jaynestown

In a bar, the crew "enjoys" the local beer, "Mudder's Milk". Simon explains that it's similar to the beer that ancient Egyptian rulers fed their slaves to keep them healthy enough to work and sleepy enough at night to prevent unrest.

Jayne: Mm. They call it "Mudder's milk". All the protein, vitamins and carbs of your grandma's best turkey dinner, plus fifteen percent alcohol.

In college I used to drink vodka to get myself to go to sleep (advantage to working in a pub).
Bills fans of course have gotten this all wrong, when they drink they are not more compliant - they break tables, fornicate in parking lots and in general Just Jerks.