Offseason is disaster for rookies, players on roster bubble

Saxum

Why NFL offseason is a disaster for rookies, players on roster bubble

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16370346/nfl-offseason-disaster-rookies-players-roster-bubble

Agree with Matt Bowen the new NFLPA rules make it very hard on certain players.

These young cats are placed in an environment that is much softer than it used to be. With monitored one-on-ones between wide receivers and defensive backs (no bump and run -- ridiculous) and limitations on contact, offseason practices put coaches in a tough spot. How do you develop talent in that environment? Where do you even start?
"It's a shame," one NFL coach told me. "You have to be creative. But you can't simulate football with the physical contact taken away."

Historically yes but historically players did other jobs during off-season but that is rare now not counting internships and such some finagle companies into now.

Historically there were a lot more rounds in draft, etc.

The very least they should allow is a lot more off season conditioning to try and cut down on injuries.

Would be less surprises like Karlos W. and Eddie Lacy as a bonus.

Edited by ALF

A disaster?? That's a stretch.

The NFL is a meritocracy. There is opportunity for fringe players to make an impression, but the fact is that those who don't make a roster typically don't belong on it.

On average this must be true. I assume it can be a little misleading because some of the points that are weighed into performance appraisal aren't transparent to the outside observer.

As a result of the last CBA negotiations, the players seem to have accepted a smaller revenue share than they could have demanded in exchange for not having to work as hard as they could. Seems stupid but what do I know, that seems to be the way labor markets have developed in much of the west.

A disaster?? That's a stretch.

The NFL is a meritocracy. There is opportunity for fringe players to make an impression, but the fact is that those who don't make a roster typically don't belong on it.

I tend to agree. There are very few cases where somebody who has bounced around as camp fodder suddenly ends up as a real contributor on a team - which suggests that those guys just are not good enough.