Dareus All-In with Rex Ryan's Defense

he didn't flat out complain, and he had very little reason to muzzle himself when speaking about the team knowing he was going to get paid disirregardless. teams knew he was used horribly last year, he'd still have got top dollar on market.

do you remember exactly what he said? he had just expressed concerned about the complexity of the system, concern that it was going to take time to learn, etc. he spoke matter of factly and did not mince words, but he definitely did not openly criticize the system.

Here is what he said before last season.

Not that it has always been smooth as he transitions to a new scheme and another new coaching staff. Although Dareus calls playing for Ryan “a dream come true,” he admitted he is struggling a bit with how he is being guided by new defensive line coach Karl Dunbar.

“It’s just kind of a clash” between “the way I play and the way he coaches,” Dareus said. “And I’m just trying to incorporate what he wants into what I do to kind of just make it work so I can do what I know he wants and make it work for me as well. We’re just trying to fit the puzzle pieces right now.

“I still feel like he doesn’t understand me and is just trying to figure me out. But we’re trying to work together. We’re working closer. I’m a free player. I like to mess plays up. I like to just be all-out with it. If I can knock down three” blockers, “I can knock down three. I’m going to do whatever it takes to get to the ball. He kind of wants me to be more of a technical player, stay in your gap, fundamentals.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/01/bills-dareus-on-verge-of-big-payday/

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, I'm fairly certain that he was carrying the seam on 6 of Gronk's 7 catches in week 2, wasn't he?

All I know is several of the TDs scored by runner were Marcel wearing Williams jersey.

I'm exaggerating but yes an overwhelming majority no doubt.

Exaggeration is an acceptable tool when you do not have facts.

Sure his first INT

See he should have been in coverage more often!

not at all a criticism of Rex Ryan. An honest assessment of where they are; that's it. Positive, if anything.

Has Dareus ever said anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, that wasn't positive about this defense? That was fundamentally different than the positive spin he put on it today?

Every team has pretty much the same plays, just different terminology. Game plans and play calling differ from coach to coach, base systems differs. But everyone has the same plays.

I remember Schwartz said he wasnt going to make the defense learn all new terminology, he was going to learn their terminology and translate it into his defense. Schwartz is a very smart guy. I doubt Rex could do that.

But then again I believe Pettine used a lot of the same terminology as Rex so there should have been a smoother transition. I do remember Pettine saying the Browns defense was smarter than the Bills defense.

That makes rex even more a conundrum. I think he just likes mystery

Absolutely, but you do have to be unpredictable. Can't just have him do the same thing every time.

I'm actually very excited to watch this D this year. We have some interesting hybrid guys, like Corey White, that bring a lot of versatility. I think we are going to see the complex, attacking scheme that I thought we would have last year.

yes you are. but the average drunken tailgate Bills fan will still keep their Jim Schwartz posters on the wall, thankful that Vince Lombardi isn't alive to see what's 'happened' to 'real defense' in the NFL

Welcome to football.

That's not really what he was doing last year. He was playing 2 gaps, which meant he had to anchor down at the LoS instead of penetrating off the snap.

Granted, I don't think his role is going to change, as much as I wish it would. It's a waste of a huge man with an amazing first step to have him playing in a two gap scheme.

That's not really what he was doing last year. He was playing 2 gaps, which meant he had to anchor down at the LoS instead of penetrating off the snap.

Granted, I don't think his role is going to change, as much as I wish it would. It's a waste of a huge man with an amazing first step to have him playing in a two gap scheme.

For some reason this gets repeated around here. He did not have 2-gap responsibilities all the time. Ryan's defense has both 1-gap and 2-gap for all players along the defensive line. Some players are even allowed to freelance and line up how they like. Muhammed Wilkerson lined up in both 1-gap and 2-gap alignment in Ryan's scheme.

Yes, Ryan's scheme incorporates 2-gap alignments but it is not a hard and fast rule.

For some reason this gets repeated around here. He did not have 2-gap responsibilities all the time. Ryan's defense has both 1-gap and 2-gap for all players along the defensive line. Some players are even allowed to freelance and line up how they like. Muhammed Wilkerson lined up in both 1-gap and 2-gap alignment in Ryan's scheme.

Yes, Ryan's scheme incorporates 2-gap alignments but it is not a hard and fast rule.

Good take here. Good coaches usually have their personnel playing multiple techniques, especially talented personnel. The worst thing we could do to Dareus would be make him a one-dimensional player which would make it easier for teams to account for and neutralize him. His skill set makes him hard to play against, regardless. Dareus played 0,1,3, and 5 techniques last season. At least when he wasn't playing free safety, that is.

GO BILLS!!!

Just win.

'Nuff said.

GO BILLS!!!

Good take here. Good coaches usually have their personnel playing multiple techniques, especially talented personnel. The worst thing we could do to Dareus would be make him a one-dimensional player which would make it easier for teams to account for and neutralize him. His skill set makes him hard to play against, regardless. Dareus played 0,1,3, and 5 techniques last season. At least when he wasn't playing free safety, that is.

GO BILLS!!!

It's about understanding what Rex tries to do. He likes to exploit match-ups and get guys one-on-one. Whether that's the DE, DT, NT, LB or someone blitzing. It's what annoyed Mario. He wants to be able to just do his thing and he was asked to just occupy blockers, so he mailed it in. Even when he wasn't asked to occupy blockers and was allowed to pin his ears back, he didn't get home.

It definitely was not, "Well all the guys on the line were in 2-gap alignments all season".

It's about understanding what Rex tries to do. He likes to exploit match-ups and get guys one-on-one. Whether that's the DE, DT, NT, LB or someone blitzing. It's what annoyed Mario. He wants to be able to just do his thing and he was asked to just occupy blockers, so he mailed it in. Even when he wasn't asked to occupy blockers and was allowed to pin his ears back, he didn't get home.

It definitely was not, "Well all the guys on the line were in 2-gap alignments all season".

In addition to exploiting one on one matchups (all coaches do), Rex probably uses more overload schemes than anybody else. By definition, that means that sometimes you are going to ask other players to occupy opponents and maintain area discipline because that overload can make the other side vulnerable. It's imperative everyone be on the same page; Mario didn't even want to read the book.

GO BILLS!!!

yes you are. but the average drunken tailgate Bills fan will still keep their Jim Schwartz posters on the wall, thankful that Vince Lombardi isn't alive to see what's 'happened' to 'real defense' in the NFL

When this upcoming season people see that Schwartz was actually in the right place at the right time and NOT that great DC he has been made out to be....it might go away a little bit

There will be those that will say "oh but on OUR team he would have continued to succeed".....we actually dont know that.....teams came into the season getting rid of that ball QUICK

@viccarucci

Marcell Dareus seems to be "All In" w #Bills' defense this year after struggling in it in 2015. BN Blog: https://t.co/Vkg6Y5Btxl

"It’s the second year, we’re going to play in the same defense; it’s the first time in my NFL career this happened," Dareus told SiriusXM NFL Radio Tuesday, referencing the Bills' multiple coaching changes since he joined them as the third overall pick from Alabama in 2011. "It feels good to know I can just do what I need to do and I don’t have to think as much. I don’t have to spend so much time trying to help this guy, help that guy or them doing the same with me.

Absolutely nuts. No wonder our defense has been so inconsistent.

While this is true Dareus 2 gapped much more than 1 last season. I soent many a game watching him anchor the line on most plays.

Whatever the reason, who's ever to blame, Marcel is more comfortable in the defense this year than he was last year. That can only be a good thing.

As far as 2 gap versus 1 gap is concerned... I wonder what the ratios are? How often does Rex ask his linemen to 2 gap versus 1 gap? How does this compare to the rest of the NFL?

I have a pretty balanced view of Rex. I think he screwed up last year but I don't think he's a moron or buffoon. Neither do I think he's a defensive genius. I do think he's reasonably bright, has some talent to work with on this roster, and is moving beyond some of his mistakes of last year. My guess is we'll see the Bills D ranking somewhere between #5 and #10 this season.

Whatever the reason, who's ever to blame, Marcel is more comfortable in the defense this year than he was last year. That can only be a good thing.

As far as 2 gap versus 1 gap is concerned... I wonder what the ratios are? How often does Rex ask his linemen to 2 gap versus 1 gap? How does this compare to the rest of the NFL?

I have a pretty balanced view of Rex. I think he screwed up last year but I don't think he's a moron or buffoon. Neither do I think he's a defensive genius. I do think he's reasonably bright, has some talent to work with on this roster, and is moving beyond some of his mistakes of last year. My guess is we'll see the Bills D ranking somewhere between #5 and #10 this season.

His playbook is pretty balanced as far as volume goes...on most 1st/2nd down fronts, he's got the linemen 2-gapping about 60% of the time from what I've seen in the book. In his 4-man fronts and pressure looks, they 2-gap about 40% of the time.

Those are just eyeball estimates based on a few detailed readings of the playbook that was posted a few months back.