Dareus All-In with Rex Ryan's Defense

@viccarucci

Marcell Dareus seems to be "All In" w #Bills' defense this year after struggling in it in 2015. BN Blog: https://t.co/Vkg6Y5Btxl

"It’s the second year, we’re going to play in the same defense; it’s the first time in my NFL career this happened," Dareus told SiriusXM NFL Radio Tuesday, referencing the Bills' multiple coaching changes since he joined them as the third overall pick from Alabama in 2011. "It feels good to know I can just do what I need to do and I don’t have to think as much. I don’t have to spend so much time trying to help this guy, help that guy or them doing the same with me.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No...its not that simple.

Does anyone else think he was asked to "think to much" in last years scheme?

I do

I think there was an adjustment period, which was to be expected. To Ryan's credit, he made a few minor tweaks after the bye, and Dareus responded. He played well the last half of the season.

GO BILLS!!!

No...its not that simple.

Does anyone else think he was asked to "think to much" in last years scheme?

I do

Occasionally you are going to drop him back in middle zone and bring unbalanced pressure. It's what Rex does and it can work if everyone is bought in, sounds like MD is

Occasionally you are going to drop him back in middle zone and bring unbalanced pressure. It's what Rex does and it can work if everyone is bought in, sounds like MD is

Occasionally being the operative word. To hear some of RR's detractors tell it, Dareus was used more as a safety than tackle last season.

GO BILLS!!!

Occasionally being the operative word. To hear some of RR's detractors tell it, Dareus was used more as a safety than tackle last season.

GO BILLS!!!

Absolutely, but you do have to be unpredictable. Can't just have him do the same thing every time.

I'm actually very excited to watch this D this year. We have some interesting hybrid guys, like Corey White, that bring a lot of versatility. I think we are going to see the complex, attacking scheme that I thought we would have last year.

GO BILLS!!!

In fact, I'm fairly certain that he was carrying the seam on 6 of Gronk's 7 catches in week 2, wasn't he?

Absolutely, but you do have to be unpredictable. Can't just have him do the same thing every time.

I'm actually very excited to watch this D this year. We have some interesting hybrid guys, like Corey White, that bring a lot of versatility. I think we are going to see the complex, attacking scheme that I thought we would have last year.

Good point. Rex's defenses are predicated on unpredictability and that layer of complexity can be a challenge for newbies to the system. It'll be interesting to see how a year in the system serves them. Especially if your safeties can stay healthy and the same pair can get a ton of reps together.

In fact, I'm fairly certain that he was carrying the seam on 6 of Gronk's 7 catches in week 2, wasn't he?

The sheer mental image of this had me laughing. Dareus "carrying the seam". That's priceless.

GO BILLS!!!

"Marcel Dareus paid millions, will say whatever is expected." Story at 11.

Dareus was paid millions last year and was one of the first to express dissatisfaction with Ryan's defense. Was that expected, too?

GO BILLS!!!

"Marcel Dareus paid millions, will say whatever is expected." Story at 11.

Ha, yes this could be complete BS

I think a Rex Ryan defense that is working well is like Graduate school. You don't learn it well in one year, once guys grasp it- it's effective. Yes, Rex should have done some things differently last year but for one reason or another it didn't happen. I'm willing to bet he gets it fixed.

He was expected to complain about the system last year?

he didn't flat out complain, and he had very little reason to muzzle himself when speaking about the team knowing he was going to get paid disirregardless. teams knew he was used horribly last year, he'd still have got top dollar on market.

Dareus was paid millions last year and was one of the first to express dissatisfaction with Ryan's defense. Was that expected, too?

GO BILLS!!!

do you remember exactly what he said? he had just expressed concerned about the complexity of the system, concern that it was going to take time to learn, etc. he spoke matter of factly and did not mince words, but he definitely did not openly criticize the system.

he didn't flat out complain, and he had very little reason to muzzle himself when speaking about the team knowing he was going to get paid disirregardless. teams knew he was used horribly last year, he'd still have got top dollar on market.

do you remember exactly what he said? he had just expressed concerned about the complexity of the system, concern that it was going to take time to learn, etc. he spoke matter of factly and did not mince words, but he definitely did not openly criticize the system.

I don't feel like digging up every article, but they are there and he did question why he was being used the way he was. But that isn't the point here. You suggested he has to toe the company line because he is getting paid millions of dollars when there are examples of him doing the opposite.

GO BILLS!!!