Looking for a new pup (Doberman)

CommonCents

Does anyone have experience with Doberman's? I have absolutely zero. My Boxer passed a few years ago and the Lady and I are looking for a new dog. I want another Boxer but she wants a Doberman. I have read up on them and done my research but I'm still hesitant as I have no first hand experience with the breed.

We are plenty active for both breeds, the reason I'm considering a Doberman is because she often jogs/walks alone when I'm not around. She has a cat, we have my 5 year old nephew on weekends, other than that just the usual company and bigger crowds on holidays. Any information would be great. Thanks.

Doberman's are like any other dog, each has their own personality. Spend some time at the shelter and find a dog that agrees with you.

If you're looking for a larger dog to keep the Lady company on a jog, nobody is gonna mess with a German Shepherd. GS can get territorial so if the cat and 5 year old are an issue, Collies have a great temperament and are probably smarter than the 5 year old :P

Doberman's are like any other dog, each has their own personality. Spend some time at the shelter and find a dog that agrees with you.

If you're looking for a larger dog to keep the Lady company on a jog, nobody is gonna mess with a German Shepherd. GS can get territorial so if the cat and 5 year old are an issue, Collies have a great temperament and are probably smarter than the 5 year old :P

Her mother bred GS's for years so she wants something different. One of her uncles had a Doberman so I'm guessing that's where this all comes from. I like the look and after reading up on them I'm more comfortable than I was. I just always thought of them as another "macho man" breed like Pitbulls and Rottweilers, admittedly that perception is probably from growing up in the city and generalizing dogs by who their owners were. I never had an appetite for a dog who is going to make guests/family nervous while visiting even if just from their appearance. My Boxer was a female runt and besides the occasional accidental paw to the face she would have been the ideal "Walmart greeter".

Much like a Boxer the Doberman's look changes pretty drastically based on the ears/tail being done or not. My boxer had her tail docked but the ears were left floppy. With the Doberman I'd be fine if the ears are cropped it's a sleek looking dog. I gave her the green light to look for some reputable breeders so we will see how that turns out and then take the next step.

Lots of first hand owners, thanks for the link.