Ed Reed Saw Confusion and Lack of Effort in 2015 Film

certainly valid concerns. All conjecture until we see them in a game that matters. Despite what appears a loss of talent though, this whole D should be greater than the some of its parts.

I really think that is the concept deep down. as 8and8 said. it is a system.

And i think it relies on the team being one.

like the Borg or whatever that Star trek thing was. The collective mind

I am more than half serious btw.

:devil:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that is the concept deep down. as 8and8 said. it is a system.

And i think it relies on the team being one.

like the Borg or whatever that Star trek thing was. The collective mind

I am more than half serious btw.

:devil:

You mean these?

Rex-Rob-Ryan-Beach-610x356.png

If the name "Negative Man" was not copyrighted you should change your name to it. Bruce would have kicked his ass for loafing like that!

You bet Bruce Smith would have kicked his ass for loafing and also found some alone time with Rex to let him know exactly how he felt about that gap control scheme of his. If he couldn't get through to Ryan I'll bet Bruce also would have probably gone to the owner and told him to change things or trade him. I wouldn't be surprised if the latter happens with Dareus this year if Ryan plays him mostly at NT in a gap control scheme.

You bet Bruce Smith would have kicked his ass for loafing and also found some alone time with Rex to let him know exactly how he felt about that gap control scheme of his. If he couldn't get through to Ryan I'll bet Bruce also would have probably gone to the owner and told him to change things or trade him. I wouldn't be surprised if the latter happens with Dareus this year if Ryan plays him mostly at NT in a gap control scheme.

It's also funny how people act like Bruce never took plays off.

It's also funny how people act like Bruce never took plays off.

Bruce needed some motivating at the beginning of his career and Bullough paid the price for prodding him. What was great about that 90's defense is Bruce had a tremendous tackler in Darryl Talley right behind him so if he overran the run play trying to get to the QB Talley was right there making the stop. Bruce got better against the run and reading plays as time went on.

What saddens me about last year is that the Bills had the very best pass rushing DE since Bruce Smith and because he was forced to play in a scheme he hated... he then wanted out and did exactly what it took to get himself out. Now most Bills fans can't stand him because of it and the Bills lost that pass rusher to a team in the division.

The Bills might be better rushing the passer this year than last year if Ryan changes his scheme up to...you know, actually rush the passer. But, it won't be nearly as potent without Mario and I just don't see another 13-14 sack player on the team. I have to think Hughes won't be as good without Mario on the other side as teams will now be able to send extra protection to double him. This whole situation sucks.

Bruce needed some motivating at the beginning of his career and Bullough paid the price for prodding him. What was great about that 90's defense is Bruce had a tremendous tackler in Darryl Talley right behind him so if he overran the run play trying to get to the QB Talley was right there making the stop. Bruce got better against the run and reading plays as time went on.

What saddens me about last year is that the Bills had the very best pass rushing DE since Bruce Smith and because he was forced to play in a scheme he hated... he then wanted out and did exactly what it took to get himself out. Now most Bills fans can't stand him because of it and the Bills lost that pass rusher to a team in the division.

The Bills might be better rushing the passer this year than last year if Ryan changes his scheme up to...you know, actually rush the passer. But, it won't be nearly as potent without Mario and I just don't see another 13-14 sack player on the team. I have to think Hughes won't be as good without Mario on the other side as teams will now be able to send extra protection to double him. This whole situation sucks.

Take a look at Ryan's 2009 #1 D with the Jets. They were in the bottom half in sacks, led by Pace with 8. If Ryan can get this D back to top 10 (ppg) and the team in the playoffs, I don't care how many sacks they have.

Ryan often downplays # of sacks, talking about pressure in general. Again, his D is not about any single player, with the exception of a shutdown corner. In that 2009 season, the Lolb spot was manned by Bryan Thomas, a former R1 pick with a mediocre career, not unlike manny Lawson. Having players that are all in is more important than having Mario pouting about his sack totals.

Take a look at Ryan's 2009 #1 D with the Jets. They were in the bottom half in sacks, led by Pace with 8. If Ryan can get this D back to top 10 (ppg) and the team in the playoffs, I don't care how many sacks they have.

Ryan often downplays # of sacks, talking about pressure in general. Again, his D is not about any single player, with the exception of a shutdown corner. In that 2009 season, the Lolb spot was manned by Bryan Thomas, a former R1 pick with a mediocre career, not unlike manny Lawson. Having players that are all in is more important than having Mario pouting about his sack totals.

That Jets defense also blitzed around 55% of the QB dropbacks in 2009 so they were getting heavy pressure on the QB ...and it just so happens that the Jets were #3 in defensive hurries that year.

Funny thing though is that the 2015 Buffalo Bills were dead last in defensive hurries last year and that was the result of not blitzing very often and running that crappy gap control two-gap scheme most of the time.

Odd that you mention getting the D back to top 10 in PPG because that only happened under Ryan for two seasons in 2009 & 2010! Then in 2011 saw 20 PPG, 2012 saw 20 PPG, 2013 saw 19 PPG and saw his Jets at #24 in PPG.

That last sentence shows that the quality of the talent on the field still matters even if Ryan starts calling a whole lot more blitzes and runs a one-gap pass rushing scheme most of the time. There was a real reason why the team gave Mario a 100 million dollars to play for the Buffalo Bills. It's also why Vonn Miller is probably going to be the highest paid defensive player ever when the Broncos eventually sign him.

It is interesting to think that "IF" last years defense was contrived to make Mario look bad it could really come back to haunt the three in power. With a top five defense, the Bills would have probably made the playoffs last season and secured their future for more than the upcoming season.

Glad Ed Reed is here. Not surprised he can see what was obvious. Maybe he'll have enough clout that players will follow his lead.

I would imagine he will be a strong leader.

But is his message sound?

Thats what will play out during the season.

If Rex is right , everyone will look good.

I have become somewhat embedded in my belief Bills defense is going to be very strong, and a B word to Coach and play against this year.