Ed Reed Saw Confusion and Lack of Effort in 2015 Film

It is pretty obvious that the coaches dismissed while they may be good position coaches were poor in communicating what needed to be done by defense players in scheme. This is why I think Rob Ryan and Ed Reed were brought in.

Rob Ryan was brought in because he's a good game day communicator?? Did the Saints know this before they fired him?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob Ryan was brought in because he's a good game day communicator?? Did the Saints know this before they fired him?

I did not communicate with them to ask; Rob Ryan was told specifically what scheme to use by head coach and he obliged. When the head coach is making the call either on offense or defense they get the credit/blame. And Ron Ryan did have some good defenses in New Orleans.

There has been some info (and I dont know the validity) that Rob Ryan was told to coach a D that he flat told them was not his defense.

He has had success in the past in certain positional defensive positions.

Let's for the sake of argument assume that Rex is an intelligent man. As such, I'm sure he observed problems with his D last year and identified some changes he needed to make. So...

* with DW's cooperation, he made some modifications to the defensive roster;

* he made some changes to the coaching staff;

* he's making some schematic changes;

* he's probably making some other changes to how he approaches the season.

I don't think Rex is an idiot and I don't think any of these changes are whimsical. Whether he's assessed the actual ailments and the right cures remains to be seen but I doubt if there's anything haphazard about what Rex is doing.

I suspect Ed Reed was brought in for more than his positional expertise. My guess is that Rex hopes Reed helps with earning credibility for the whole defensive coaching staff, gaining player buy-in, improving player communication and effort, etc.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Let's for the sake of argument assume that Rex is an intelligent man. As such, I'm sure he observed problems with his D last year and identified some changes he needed to make. So...

* with DW's cooperation, he made some modifications to the defensive roster;

* he made some changes to the coaching staff, including bringing in Ed Reed;

* he's making some schematic changes;

* he's probably making some other changes to how he approaches the season.

I don't think Rex is an idiot and I don't think any of these changes are whimsical. Whether he's assessed the actual ailments and the right cures remains to be seen but I doubt if there's anything haphazard about what Rex is doing.

I'm also interested in seeing whether the change in DL coach from Dunbar to Blake makes any impact.

Are we sure it's gone? Because we never saw this uncooperative leadership when we were 10th in defense and 4th in 2014. Suddenly, the defense got uncooperative when we got a new defensive coach. :wacko:

If this defense isn't good next year, who are we going to blame since Mario? How about not complicating the defense so much so football players can just play and not think? "Mario, Kyle, Jerry, Marcell. Go destroy the oline and make plays in the backfield."

They had a pretty simple system under Schwartz, this one isn't simple at all...it's like going from Algebra to Calculus and guys thinking they could still do the same things in Algebra...won't work.

There has been some info (and I dont know the validity) that Rob Ryan was told to coach a D that he flat told them was not his defense.

He has had success in the past in certain positional defensive positions.

Does that excuse regularly occuring issues like not having the right number of players on the field? Edited by NoSaint

They had a pretty simple system under Schwartz, this one isn't simple at all...it's like going from Algebra to Calculus and guys thinking they could still do the same things in Algebra...won't work.

You forgot the prior season where they did a form of calculus from Pettine and the jets first year success in transition.

Starting to believe Rex should be on Ray Lewis' coaching tree

you know what he didn't see? poor coaching

Well that is a relief

Sean Payton on Ryan:

"We really struggled with substitutions, getting lined up, getting our guys the defensive call and being able to function."

Where have I heard that before? He's the solution???? :w00t:

For all the shots and opinions here, I think strongly this is NOT going to look like last year.

Last year was a meet and greet that went poorly.

This season will show a less tolerant attitude for any lack of effort.

Is this the year ? probably not. But These guys are trying to build a long term culture.

The Ed Reed thing real told me a ton.

someone mentioned pot head.

I just see someone comfortable in their skin.

Golf Balls Lotsa Golf balls. Good sense of humor from a very serious Man

Edited by 3rdand12

Sean Payton on Ryan:

"We really struggled with substitutions, getting lined up, getting our guys the defensive call and being able to function."

Where have I heard that before? He's the solution???? :w00t:

Rex explained the low number of sacks last season due to quick release by opposing QB .

Yeah that's how to exploit a complicated defense with last second substitutions.

All this talk we've been hearing about how communication is so important to this defense - I assume they will have hand signals etc but if it is in fact so critical now - wonder if crowd noise when the defense is on the field could actually not necessarily be a good thing now?

Also don't understand what the coaches were doing last year when guys were not communicating or trying - how seriously were they addressing those issues. If they were aware and focused on it they weren't very effective

offseason work is limited due to the stupid CBA. once the season starts, no more time for teaching the basics and changing players approach... its all recovery and prep for the next opponent... teams with new coaching staffs are screwed bc not much time exists to get new schemes put it. anyone familiar with this knows last year was going to be tough and it would take another off season to get everyone on the same page... heck , TT was allowed to use about 1/3 of the playbook. they just don't get nearly the practice time they once got . and all you haters want Rex to be fired and start this new coach/schemes merry go round all over again? crazy talk.