Ed Reed Saw Confusion and Lack of Effort in 2015 Film

I don't think his scheme is outdated, which is why I cited issues related to implementation.

GO BILLS!!!

Gotcha, I was confused because the guy I quoted in my reply was saying the scheme was a dinosaur. I agree with you that the implementation was poor last year.

This! Plus other reasons. That scheme didn't work for Rob Ryan in New Orleans and it certainly didn't work in Buffalo last year.

Aside from the things already mentioned the difference that I can see is that Rex actually called a lot of Blitzes when he was the Jets HC and to the tune of almost 55% of the QB dropbacks in 2009 to substantially less the last few years. In 2013-2014 it was more around 30-35% and last year in Buffalo he blitzed less than 10% some games.

Aside from the lack of blitzing it was sorta clear to me that Rex Ryan only seemed to have his team well prepared and a proper game plan set up for certain games. Division games mostly as the Bills swept the Jets and Dolphins. More importantly, The 2015 Buffalo Bills played their best against the Jets with Rex having revenge to beat the team that fired him in mind. Then the Bills managed to beat the bad QB's and lose to anyone average or better.

Rex might have been 6th in yards allowed in 2014 with the NY Jets but his team went 4-12 and his defense was 24th in points allowed! Guess what team was #4 in total defense in 2015? Yea, the NY Jets!

With turnover machines leading the offense. Hard to stop points from being scored there.

That being said, the vast majority of the things you're pointing to are implementation problems, not fundamental problems with the scheme.

This is a very important difference because if it's a fundamental scheme problem, that's unfixable, but implementation challenges are fixable (whether you believe we're capable of fixing it is a different question)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha, I was confused because the guy I quoted in my reply was saying the scheme was a dinosaur. I agree with you that the implementation was poor last year.

I never understood the idea that Rex all of a sudden forgot how to design and coach defenses. Instead, I think he let his "player's coach" philosophy get in the way of managing the bigger egos. By trying to take elements from different schemes and marrying them, we did 10 things half-assed instead of one thing right. And once the best player on the unit openly decided to quit, it was lost. Although, and I've said it numerous times, after the bye, Dareus starting playing very well once RR stopped trying to force that particular square peg.

Fully pregnant this year, so we'll see. But he needs a healthy KW, a Lawson to step up big, and two very young MLBs for that front seven to have a chance. If AW stays healthy, I am not concerned about our secondary.

GO BILLS!!!

I hate the way Rex acts.

But outside of one great year under Schwarz, Rex's defenses have been vastly superior to anything the Bills have been able to achieve. He had a top 5 defense with NY for multiple years in a row.

Maybe we should just see what happens this year.

I feel like every time these knuckleheads here knob gobble him Rex Ryan is Eric cartman in that scene where cartman is licking up and soaking in the tears of everyone else's pain. He's a clown.

But as far as reed, what the hell is he going to do to change any off these issues?

I feel like every time these knuckleheads here knob gobble him Rex Ryan is Eric cartman in that scene where cartman is licking up and soaking in the tears of everyone else's pain. He's a clown.

But as far as reed, what the hell is he going to do to change any off these issues?

Did you see the communication issues in our secondary last season?

I would imagine it would start there

Did you see the communication issues in our secondary last season?

I would imagine it would start there

how will a position coach fix that? How will reed better than so!some who was regarded as one of best position coaches this team has seen in a while?

Further, what's likelihood Rex would listen to anyone?

John. You defend all things Rex Ryan too much. It's all is like you're fully pregnant. Discussing any of this with you is generally pointless as you keep up when it gets serious or go 180°

I will give Reed the benefit of the doubt for the time being simply because he knows this defense inside out having performed at a HOF level at a critical position within it. I have a ton of respect for Donnie Henderson, but he didn't bring that kind of gravitas.

That said, I firmly believe that great players seldom make great coaches.

GO BILLS!!!

I fail to see how these are related to his scheme being supposedly outdated. These are all issues with the implementation, not the scheme itself.

What makes you think the scheme is outdated?

how will a position coach fix that? How will reed better than so!some who was regarded as one of best position coaches this team has seen in a while?

Further, what's likelihood Rex would listen to anyone?

John. You defend all things Rex Ryan too much. It's all is like you're fully pregnant. Discussing any of this with you is generally pointless as you keep up when it gets serious or go 180°

Your not paying attention

I have been highly critical of the defense last year.....but to it there and just say "This is all Rex Ryan" is shallow thinking......Rex Ryan has had good defenses.....LAST YEAR's DEFENSE WAS NOT GOOD.....so now we have to ask why was it not good because RR is a defensive coach.

Yes. And like I said, it was painfully obvious.

If the defense isn't any good next year, I will scrutinize effort and coaching. Same as last year, when I found both to be lacking. Although I give some credit to Ryan for making changes after the bye. Dareus responded well to those changes. Mario still didn't give a crap.

GO BILLS!!!

I found Reed's comments about the practice atmosphere last year very telling in that regard. That's on Ryan every bit as much as it is on the players. You gotta demand it in practice before you demand it in games. Personally and from what I've heard, I think Mario cast very long shadow, especially when it came to younger players. It's been said that KW was the only one that could tell MW where to step off, but I've heard that isn't necessarily the case.

Mario DIDNT give a crap. He said so in his Miami presser. Goodbye to one of the better and worse players to make 100K here....Wait he didn't make 100K did he.

What makes you think the scheme is outdated?

Nothing... the guy I was replying to originally (Nihilarian) thinks the scheme's outdated, I was arguing it's not and the issue was implementation.

Edited by Chilly

Here are some more facts.

Against the NY Giants In having your team penalized 17 times for 135 yards and thus giving the opponent 7 first downs on offense in one game is beyond ridiculous. "Two of those penalties negated touchdowns and the Bills had four 15 yard penalties!

Giants HC Tom Coughlin told his team before the game ..."Tom Coughlin told his players before Sunday's game that the Bills would beat themselves with penalties. http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/10/tom_coughlin_reportedly_told_giants_players_buffalo_bills_would_beat_themselves.html

They sure did beat themselves. It wasn't just the players that were undisciplined as it was the coaches as well. Rex was anti-Marv Levy last season as Marv would preach "don't be dumb, don't be dirty".

Coughlin should talk. He had one of the worst attitude players on that squad, and one whose actions in that game caused some retribution-related fouls. Coughlin lost his job in no little part due to the fact that he lost his ability to control his team's composure.

I will give Reed the benefit of the doubt for the time being simply because he knows this defense inside out having performed at a HOF level at a critical position within it. I have a ton of respect for Donnie Henderson, but he didn't bring that kind of gravitas.

That said, I firmly believe that great players seldom make great coaches.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure Reed will be a great NFL coach but I am confident it's great for us to have him as an assistant this year.

Player's clearly didn't fully buy-into Rex's D last year. After the disappointing results, creating buy-in this year could be even more challenging.

Reed, a HOF calibre player, understands - and believes in - Rex's defensive philosophy. He's going to sell it to the secondary. They're going to buy-in this year.

I'm not sure Reed will be a great NFL coach but I am confident it's great for us to have him as an assistant this year.

Player's clearly didn't fully buy-into Rex's D last year. After the disappointing results, creating buy-in this year could be even more challenging.

Reed, a HOF calibre player, understands - and believes in - Rex's defensive philosophy. He's going to sell it to the secondary. They're going to buy-in this year.

It seems that the sum of the parts now in place have a very good chance to right the ship on defense.

I am not worried about " buy in " this season.

Rob being a special projects manager will be helpful.

Ton of Football knowledge in the building. One would think a post season regroup and reinforcing the message should at least get the ducks in a row.

and things like that

That being said, the vast majority of the things you're pointing to are implementation problems, not fundamental problems with the scheme.

If a scheme is impossible to implement, it is a horrible scheme. Communism as an economic scheme is awesome. It can't be implemented because it cuts against human nature. Everyone who tries it gets failure and misery. Even if Rex's scheme were impenetrable it wouldn't matter because getting the proper play called takes 4 times as long as the rules allow.

Rex says...

"Everybody knows he’s a first-ballot Hall of Fame player, but it’s how he is with the other guys. He’s more like the pied piper, people follow him... When I had him with the Jets, he took that whole group and they’d follow him.”

Last year, not enough guys were following the coaches - not whole-heartedly.

There are other reasons to want to Ed Reed on your coaching staff, but in the Bills case he's a specific medicine for a specific disease.

Coughlin should talk. He had one of the worst attitude players on that squad, and one whose actions in that game caused some retribution-related fouls. Coughlin lost his job in no little part due to the fact that he lost his ability to control his team's composure.

i remember enjoying a good laugh at the hypocrisy of that whole thing as well.

Mario's situation reminds me of when Haynesworth went to the redskins, and Shanny asked him to play NT. Albert became a malcontent. He also admitted it was because he found himself playing a position he wasn't good at. He credited Jim Schwartz for understanding how to use him. Shanny changed the scheme from 43 to 34.

So in comes Rex. A defensive guru with his own 34 system. And well.... damn, that story seems reminiscent of Mario and Rex.

So Rex has defense that when played by players that have bought in and learn his complicated system, is dominating. The only draw back to it is it takes PROFESSIONALS to run it. Schwartz's defense was very effective but it also failed us when we needed it and couldn't stop the run.

Soooooo, F@#* mario. Rex was handed a defense with 43 talent. What did we expect last year. Schwartz's defense was simple. It asked very little in the way of reads and checks. Last year Rex asked them to play with their mind more.

Right now, we look like a 34. My only concern is NT. I don't think Darius should be there. He was a DE at Alabama. That's what got him drafted. I'd still love a space eating NT like Jenkins or wilfork.

If a scheme is impossible to implement, it is a horrible scheme. Communism as an economic scheme is awesome. It can't be implemented because it cuts against human nature. Everyone who tries it gets failure and misery. Even if Rex's scheme were impenetrable it wouldn't matter because getting the proper play called takes 4 times as long as the rules allow.

just because it's hard, doesn't mean it's bad. Most plans that fail don't fail because it's a bad plan, but because they were poorly implemented.

So some of us expect PROFESSIONALS to be just that.

I have a feeling that the D rebounds big time this year. Especially against the run.

Communism? Really? Some of us belive equal pay breeds complacency. Fair pay drives innovation.

Communism? It's not even a good idea on paper. Communism.......

Edited by JaxBills

This is a scheme that, before last year, finished at worst #11 during his coaching career. It's not impossible to implement.

Edited by Chilly

Mario's situation reminds me of when Haynesworth went to the redskins, and Shanny asked him to play NT. Albert became a malcontent. He also admitted it was because he found himself playing a position he wasn't good at. He credited Jim Schwartz for understanding how to use him. Shanny changed the scheme from 43 to 34.

So in comes Rex. A defensive guru with his own 34 system. And well.... damn, that story seems reminiscent of Mario and Rex.

So Rex has defense that when played by players that have bought in and learn his complicated system, is dominating. The only draw back to it is it takes PROFESSIONALS to run it. Schwartz's defense was very effective but it also failed us when we needed it and couldn't stop the run.

Soooooo, F@#* mario. Rex was handed a defense with 43 talent. What did we expect last year. Schwartz's defense was simple. It asked very little in the way of reads and checks. Last year Rex asked them to play with their mind more.

Right now, we look like a 34. My only concern is NT. I don't think Darius should be there. He was a DE at Alabama. That's what got him drafted. I'd still love a space eating NT like Jenkins or wilfork.

just because it's hard, doesn't mean it's bad. Most plans that fail don't fail because it's a bad plan, but because they were poorly implemented.

So some of us expect PROFESSIONALS to be just that.

I have a feeling that the D rebounds big time this year. Especially against the run.

Communism? Really? Some of us belive equal pay breeds complacency. Fair pay drives innovation.

Communism? It's not even a good idea on paper. Communism.......

when is rex's system dominating? 2 seasons over 6 years ago after such a heavy investment was made in players being dominant? honestly, with his talent on defense he should have been much better and it is a resaon why his offense sucked. they put all resources in to defense.

rex sucks.

when is rex's system dominating? 2 seasons over 6 years ago after such a heavy investment was made in players being dominant? honestly, with his talent on defense he should have been much better and it is a resaon why his offense sucked. they put all resources in to defense.

rex sucks.

cheese and rice... HIS defence got MARK SANCHEZ to the playoffs....twice.... before Mike Tannenbaum's wonderful GM skills did wonders for the Jets talent pool. Oh, yea forget his defense WON a super bowl with Trent Dillfer at QB...

I'm not view anything in a vacuum. There's extenuating circumstances for good and bad years he's had... but his good years have LITERALLY BEEN RECORD SETTING.

so go away.

P.S. they started looking like a Rex Ryan D after the bye last year. I cant wait to see what it looks like without malcontents and personal understanding a complex scheme for real now.

Edited by JaxBills