Bill Barnwell Ranks NFL Offensive Triplets

@billbarnwell

New article: I ranked the NFL’s offensive triplets from 32 (Browns) to 1 (Steelers): http://es.pn/1UU6WYC

Ck_ngQ8XIAAi9LR.jpg

21. Buffalo Bills

QB Tyrod Taylor, RB LeSean McCoy, WR Sammy Watkins

What the Bills and offensive coordinator Greg Roman did last year -- turn a replacement-level veteran option like Taylor into a productive starting quarterback -- virtually never happens and was one of the more astounding things to happen in the NFL in 2015. Outside of injury, there's no real reason to think that Taylor won't be able to maintain that level of performance. If his production was fluky or the product of a gimmicky offense, we would have expected him to decline as the season went along, but that wasn't the case. Taylor posted a 65.7 Total QBR over his first seven starts and actually upped that to a 69.4 QBR over his final seven. The Bills' major concern at this point is Watkins, who is out indefinitely after undergoing foot surgery.

If there was more certainty about Taylor, they would be much higher. Also, I'd rather have a well rounded offensive team than just a few good players.

Side note, I'm not a fan of Barnwell. I don't get how he has become a big time football writer. And he is a snoozefest on Podcasts.

I'd have the Bills ahead of the Texans, Raiders, Broncos, Vikings and maybe Chargers and Giants. I am NOT a Melvin Gordon fan though. I would have them right around the middle of the league but trendy up with the ascension of Tyrod and Sammy. I think that Seattle is too low as well.

If there was more certainty about Taylor, they would be much higher. Also, I'd rather have a well rounded offensive team than just a few good players.

Side note, I'm not a fan of Barnwell. I don't get how he has become a big time football writer. And he is a snoozefest on Podcasts.

Barnwell is saying the uncertainty lies with Sammy, not Tyrod. Hence the 21 ranking

Barnwell is saying the uncertainty lies with Sammy, not Tyrod. Hence the 21 ranking

Broken foot is no joke for WR's, Edelman is on his second surgery and the local Pats reporters are now suggesting he might miss the first two weeks of the regular season.

All three of these guys were injured for part of the 2015 season so maybe it's a fair ranking given concerns of fragility.

If Sammy fully heals before the season and stays healthy, and....

If Shady stays healthy this year, and...

If TT takes a step forward in his second year as a starter, and stays healthy, and...

If the offensive line can open holes for Shady and protect TT.

Our triplets will have a very productive year.

I have two problems with the explanation of the rankings.

One is that Roman turned Taylor into a starting QB. The players with a "story" behind their success did it because they had the make up to become a starter. The coordinator certainly helps but the player is either special or isn't IMO.

Second that Taylor is a "replacement level veteran". He was a 3rd string unknown relative rookie that when given the chance emerged.

I didn't look at the list but for me it's tough to put anyone ahead of the Steelers if Ben, Bell and AB are all healthy. I would put Bills at least in the top 10 with Taylor, Watkins and McCoy. When I think about the league as a whole I think many teams are better at one position but rarely two or all 3.

I'd have the Bills ahead of the Texans, Raiders, Broncos, Vikings and maybe Chargers and Giants. I am NOT a Melvin Gordon fan though. I would have them right around the middle of the league but trendy up with the ascension of Tyrod and Sammy. I think that Seattle is too low as well.

I agree. There's a lot of head scratchers in the middle of that pack. KC at 11? The list Alex Smith as the QB so they're aware that he is still there. Ditto an Osweiler led Texicans team at 17 and a Sanchez led Broncos at 19. I'm not sure how it's possible to rate any of them as highly as they are.

Agree Barnwell is an absolute bore.