Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

I hate this !@#$ing draft lottery so damn much.

We fall 2 spots. I guess at least we didn't fall the full 3 spots... grr.

Vancouver has our type,of luck too. 2nd year in a row they were pushed down 2 spots, from 3 to 5.

New Jersey gets #1. At least it wasn't Philly!

NJ needs that pick desperately. Well, that made things a little better at least.

Maybe you will win it next year! 😀

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would the Sabres have been sitting in the 5th overall spot (pre draft lottery) instead of 6th had Las Vegas not been added in is year?

If so, we would have won the 1st overall pick...

Maybe you will win it next year!

I sure hope not. lol Edited by BillsFan4

That's because he was one of the most intense competitors, regardless of sport, that ever competed. That same look was on his face when when he pitched and hit his team to the little league World Series title nearly 30 years ago. Too bad Quinn and Golisano screwed him like they did; cut the heart right out of the Sabres and we haven't been the same since. I'm not sure how that kind of edge lends itself to being a GM, but I'd like to find out someday. Maybe he's another Stevie Y waiting to happen.

The thing that always bugged me about Chris Drury was all that "he just knows how to win" hype. That BS was never his fault, just the media's. Being a supporting guy on a team full of stars is a great way to win, but more than likely, you're not the one bringing them to the top. It's much easier to score a couple OT winners when the other team is focusing on the five hall of famers on the other side of the ice (plus a damn good d-man in Adam Foote). Then there was the national championship he won as a freshman on a deep team. There's no shame in any of this, but he was never the guy they made him out to be. Once he became the leader of a team, those teams ultimately did not win.

And I have no idea how to even translate a little league world series into all of this.

@IgorEronko

Per source Viktor Antipin terminated his contract with Magnitogorsk Metallurg to sign with Buffalo #Sabres

have not seen one second of Antipin on the ice...but he plays D, has a pulse, others seem to think he is good, and I am hoping has a left-hand shot.

So this makes me happy.

Edited by plenzmd1

How did Quinn and Golisano screw him? I thought they were putting all their marbles into Drury, causing Briere to leave, and then he spurned them?

They had a deal in place with Drury in October of '06 for 25/5 and then dragged their feet and decided to wait until after the season. Not signing Briere is an entirely different ball of wax. Point is, Drury would have signed long before that had they just stuck to their deal originally.

The thing that always bugged me about Chris Drury was all that "he just knows how to win" hype. That BS was never his fault, just the media's. Being a supporting guy on a team full of stars is a great way to win, but more than likely, you're not the one bringing them to the top. It's much easier to score a couple OT winners when the other team is focusing on the five hall of famers on the other side of the ice (plus a damn good d-man in Adam Foote). Then there was the national championship he won as a freshman on a deep team. There's no shame in any of this, but he was never the guy they made him out to be. Once he became the leader of a team, those teams ultimately did not win.

And I have no idea how to even translate a little league world series into all of this.

The simple point is he hated losing and the nonchalant attitude towards it more than anyone the Sabres ever had and we could use a few just like him now.

Citing his little league success is meant to underscore just how long that's been in his competitive makeup.

I don't for a second agree with the suggestion he was someone other teams didn't pay much attention to when he was in Buffalo.

The simple point is he hated losing and the nonchalant attitude towards it more than anyone the Sabres ever had and we could use a few just like him now.

Citing his little league success is meant to underscore just how long that's been in his competitive makeup.

I don't for a second agree with the suggestion he was someone other teams didn't pay much attention to when he was in Buffalo.

I have zero problem with his approach. You're absolutely right that they need more of that.

As for your third point, I hope you didn't think I was implying that. It's actually the exact opposite. Once he became the guy teams would focus on, the results weren't the same. I know it's a bit of an oversimplification since so much goes into winning a championship, even luck. For Colorado, it was the perfect storm of superstar talent paired up with a strong group of younger guys.

I have zero problem with his approach. You're absolutely right that they need more of that.

As for your third point, I hope you didn't think I was implying that. It's actually the exact opposite. Once he became the guy teams would focus on, the results weren't the same. I know it's a bit of an oversimplification since so much goes into winning a championship, even luck. For Colorado, it was the perfect storm of superstar talent paired up with a strong group of younger guys.

I appreciate the clarification as well as his years in Colorado. However, I'm not convinced that when he got here and became the focus of other teams, that the results were that radically different. Even with the added focus in Buffalo, he took our team to the 2nd best record in the league for the second half of the '03/'04 season, a game seven of the ECF that took us being down to our 8th defenseman in '05//'06 to lose, and a President's Cup in '06/'07. No Stanley Cups, yes. And I get that. But our best team in a long time that certainly would have continued to contend if not for the breakup.

We both agree that so much more than having talented players goes into winning a cup. But it's a good place to start.

They had a deal in place with Drury in October of '06 for 25/5 and then dragged their feet and decided to wait until after the season. Not signing Briere is an entirely different ball of wax. Point is, Drury would have signed long before that had they just stuck to their deal originally.

Oh, yeah. Now I remember that story. Was it true? Why did they drag their feet?.........Did he decide then that he wasn't going to sign no matter what?

I'm totally on your side here with him as a player, but it seemed like he dicked us over in the end.