Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

If nothing else, these are the types of games you build on for the future. I don't think they get anywhere this year, but it is going to help next year and beyond.

One can "what if" oneself to insanity by going over the games where we let slip some points. But if we could have secured just a few points from the shoot out games the outlook would be so different.

Most reasonable fans acknowledge that this team is still short of talent, especially on the back end. But there is no doubt that this team is still in the mix with the crowd of teams fighting for a playoff spot.

In hindsight some of the deals that I have questioned now seem more reasonable. The Kane and Bogo for Meyers plus players is in my view a plus because of Kane. Bogo is a disappointment. I have been a critic of the Lehner deal because of the first round pick dealt away but Lehner has shown that he can be a number one goalie, so it now seems to be a more balanced deal although I would have rather not traded a number one pick to acquire a goalie. The Kulikov deal for Pysyk is still questionable but it is still an open issue.

On balance I'm satisfied how things are developing. This is far from being an elite team but it is moving up the ranks.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love the top line, but losing one good player sure does water down the rest of the lines pretty quick :(

another reason to trade Kane..his very style of play means he is going to be hurt a lot.

BTW, just back from my run and listened to GR on demand...and the great hockey mind that is Marty Biron agrees with me!!!!

another reason to trade Kane..his very style of play means he is going to be hurt a lot.

BTW, just back from my run and listened to GR on demand...and the great hockey mind that is Marty Biron agrees with me!!!!

Only if we get a good, not necessarily great, defenseman in return. Throw in Kulikov if we have to, as he will be gone next year anyway

Edited by Tiberius

7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpgVS. rcqcRwR7_200x200.jpg

SABRES (22-22-10) at MAPLE LEAFS (25-17-11)

SAT FEB 11, 2017 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 262)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 54 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 18 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 4 games
Zach Bogosian (ribs, Feb. 4; injured reserve) – 4 games
Zemgus Girgensons (middle body, Feb. 9) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/6: Signed D Justin Falk to a one-year contract extension worth $650,000; Claimed F Derek Grant off waivers from Nashville; Assigned Grant to Rochester (AHL)
2/9: Recalled F Derek Grant and F Evan Rodrigues from Rochester (AHL); Placed F William Carrier and D Zach Bogosian on IR
2/10: Assigned F Evan Rodrigues to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Sunday, Feb. 12: Vancouver at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 14: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 16: Colorado at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 18: St. Louis at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 19: Chicago at Buffalo, 6 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SABRES at MAPLE LEAFS
This is the third of five meetings between the Sabres and Maple Leafs this season.
Last meeting: Toronto defeated Buffalo 4-3 in Toronto on Jan. 17
Next meeting: Saturday, March 25 in Buffalo
The Sabres are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Maple Leafs; 2-5-3 on the road.
This is the 204th game all-time between Buffalo and Toronto; Buffalo has a 111-66-26 series record.
The Sabres are 43-40-18 on the road against the Maple Leafs all-time.

Morning Skate: February 11, 2017 at 11:30 am – 12:30 pm at Air Canada Centre

@BuffaloSabres

Sabres laser-focused on next opponent. "It's a new day and we've got to prepare for Toronto." 25b6.pnghttp://bufsabres.co/3KZkmE

C4U7LtwWAAE-6hK.jpg

@MapleLeafs

.@Proteautype: Rookies Play Key Role in Leafs Playoff Hunt. http://atnhl.com/2kegsuI

Lehner was by far the first star of the game. The first period we were the superior team. The last two periods we were under siege.

For those misguided good fellows who insist on having Kane traded my response is simple: Cease and desist! :thumbsup:

Lehner was absolutely fantastic tonight. Kane was beast. ng along with Eichel. Surprise player of the game was Evan Rodrigues.

I thought Rodrigues was very active and didn't look out of place. The TV analyst made reference to him on a few occasions.

Kane slowly but steadily is starting to integrate his play more with his line mates. As the announcer said he is getting to the spots and shooting with a quick draw. Kane plays on the power play and penalty kills. He is also our best scorer on five on five. In addition, he is a hard and determined checker. And still there is a persistent sentiment to trade him. It befuddles me.

xs_RXBjS_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

CANUCKS (24-25-6) at SABRES (23-22-10)

SUN FEB 12, 2017 @ 7:30 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 268)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 55 games

Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 19 games

William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 5 games

Zach Bogosian (ribs, Feb. 4; injured reserve) – 5 games

Zemgus Girgensons (middle body, Feb. 9) – 2 games

Cody Franson (foot, Feb. 11) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS

2/6: Signed D Justin Falk to a one-year contract extension worth $650,000; Claimed F Derek Grant off waivers from Nashville; Assigned Grant to Rochester (AHL)

2/9: Recalled F Derek Grant and F Evan Rodrigues from Rochester (AHL); Placed F William Carrier and D Zach Bogosian on IR

2/10: Assigned F Evan Rodrigues to Rochester (AHL)

2/11: Recalled F Evan Rodrigues from Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES

Tuesday, Feb. 14: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.

Thursday, Feb. 16: Colorado at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 18: St. Louis at Buffalo, 1 p.m.

Sunday, Feb. 19: Chicago at Buffalo, 6 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 25: Buffalo at Colorado, 10 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

CANUCKS at SABRES

This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Canucks this season.

Last meeting: Vancouver defeated Buffalo 2-1 in Vancouver on Oct. 20, 2016

The Sabres are 4-6-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Canucks; 7-3-0 at home.

This is the 118th game all-time between Buffalo and Vancouver; Buffalo has a 48-50-19 series record.

The Sabres are 31-19-8 at home against the Canucks all-time.