Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow... What is it w/Sabres-Sharks!!!!

I ran for the bus and went and did some chores when it was 4-1... I see they tied it up and won 5-4 in OT!

Curse of the Golden Seals? Seeing how BFLo was screwed out of the 1967 (Knox thing too) expansion and had to wait till 1970. For some reason we seem to have Bay Area's number in hockey?

Great comeback!

"But the Sabres roared back in blinding fashion with three goals in a span of 3:28 before Kane ended it, taking a Jack Eichel pass on a 2-on-1 and beating Sharks goalie Martin Jones for his second goal of the game.

I felt like Dan Quinn in Super Bowl Sunday, Sharks coach Pete DeBoer quipped afterward, referring to the Atlanta Falcons head coach who saw his team blow a 25-point second half lead before losing to the New England Patriots 34-28 in overtime.

It was one of those games. Thank God it wasnt the finals, it was a game in the middle of February and we found a way to get a point."

Trade Kane..yes...while he has max value!!!

I'm on the fence. I don't think he's going anywhere. I think Gionta is as good as gone. I wonder whether Kane wants to stay in Buffalo, so if he isn't moved, what's his motivation going to be in the future? I have no idea whatsoever, just wondering.

I also wonder (given he does have a lot of value because of production and that he is locked up through next year) what you would try to get in return? Would you go for the most talent playing in the NHL now? Would you focus on picks and prospects? Would you try to package him with Gorges or Moulson to free up $$? Lots of options.

Edited by snafu

To be clear, I really like Kane. That being said, the Sabres are stacked at wing prospects and devoid of D prospects outside of Guhle.

And Kane ain't taking a home town discount after next year, nor is he taking less than $5.2M he making now. Gotta be at least $6M no?

So you will have Sam, Jack, ROR, Risto, Kyle, , Kane, Jake, a top pair D (to be named ), Bogo (unless you can drop him) , all making over 5M??? Is that doable?

BTW, friggen Jake needs to fire his agent pronto

Edited by plenzmd1

He's a player that Murray specifically targeted and paid quite a bit for. He's now playing exactly as envisioned as a 25 year old hard charging, relentless forward on the forecheck who scores goals. He's not going anywhere.

Do you know where he has max value? In Buffalo! As Corner pointed out the GM made a bonanza deal and in that multi-player transaction he got a potent goal scorer for a team that doesn't have an excess of goal scorers. So in essence what you are recommending is that although the GM did get a significant return in his major deal the next course of action should be to give away the return which is a prize acquisition. That makes no sense to me.

What is forgotten about Kane is that he adds a dimension of toughness and grit to this team. He is one of our best forecheckers, plays on the power play and kills penalties. When Boston Jack gets abused he and Foligno act as the Sheriffs upholding the code.

Someone brought up the point that the farm system is loaded with forwards. Who? There is no player in the system who plays a tough brand of hockey and can also score goals. What is also perplexing is the fretting over our cap situation years down the line. Making rash decisions in the moment to address a potential problem down the line only sets this franchise back when it belatedly is starting to move forward. Let's play it out and then address what needs to be addressed.

For those who have problems with arithmetic: Subtraction is not addition. :thumbsup:

I'm on the fence. I don't think he's going anywhere. I think Gionta is as good as gone. I wonder whether Kane wants to stay in Buffalo, so if he isn't moved, what's his motivation going to be in the future? I have no idea whatsoever, just wondering.

I also wonder (given he does have a lot of value because of production and that he is locked up through next year) what you would try to get in return? Would you go for the most talent playing in the NHL now? Would you focus on picks and prospects? Would you try to package him with Gorges or Moulson to free up $$? Lots of options.

Simple solution to being on the fence: Just get off of the freaking fence before your balls get stuck in between the slats. Then you will be doing some howling. Another recommendation you should consider is don't listen to Plenzmd on the Kane issue.

As far as Kane wanting to stay in Buffalo, or any player for that matter, is to make it a more appealing destination by winning more and becoming a serious team.

Edited by JohnC

so, was Jack bitchin bout the booing last night? See something on twitter, but can't find his exact quotes.

BTW, they deserved to be booed

He made a comment about it being "funny" or "interesting" how they were booed but then after the comeback the fans loved them again. He also said they deserved to be booed for the first two periods.

Much ado about nothing.

Edited by eball

so, was Jack bitchin bout the booing last night? See something on twitter, but can't find his exact quotes.

BTW, they deserved to be booed

Totally benign remark followed by him saying they played like crap, too. The interview is on the Sabres website. Typical twitterverse overreaction.

_y-_2GeD_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

DUCKS (28-17-10) at SABRES (22-21-10)

THU FEB 9, 2017 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 257)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 53 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 17 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4) – 3 games
Zach Bogosian (ribs, Feb. 4) – 3 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/4: Activated D Josh Gorges; Recalled F Justin Bailey from Rochester (AHL); Assigned F Cal O’Reilly to Rochester
2/6: Signed D Justin Falk to a one-year contract extension worth $650,000; Claimed F Derek Grant off waivers from Nashville; Assigned Grant to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Feb. 11: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 12: Vancouver at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 14: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 16: Colorado at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 18: St. Louis at Buffalo, 1 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

DUCKS at SABRES
This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Ducks this season.
Last meeting: Anaheim defeated Buffalo 1-0 in Anaheim on Feb. 24, 2016
Next meeting: Friday, March 17 in Anaheim
The Sabres are 4-6-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Ducks; 6-3-1 at home
This is the 33rd game all-time between Buffalo and Anaheim; Buffalo has a 16-13-3 series record.
The Sabres are 8-5-3 at home against the Ducks all-time.

Morning Skate: February 9, 2017 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It would be so cool if they could just run the table till 2/18 @ least... They would be right in hunt.

This team ain't going on a 7-game run. Look at all the heroics it took just to put together a 3-game win streak.

This Sabres team has heart. That was a great comeback- down 3 goals with 12 minutes left. They have many third period comebacks, and have been playing better in overtime. All without a 4th line and short on defensemen. 5-0-1 at home the last six games. 17-1-1 against the Sharks. And as bad as the Sabres have been, how the hell are we 10-0-1 the last eleven against the Sharks?

Edited by Pete