Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

But GMTM would be wise too...not a true Sabre fan alive that thinks this team can MAKE the playoffs, let alone win a round or two.

This team has been out of it since they went down 7 points in late November, and have made up zero ground even with Jack, ROR and hot Kane back.

Be wise GMTM, first mover has the advantage.

Can't make a deal without a trade partner. With teams so tightly bunched in the Eastern Conference, I think you'll see things stay quiet until it's closer to the deadline.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But GMTM would be wise too...not a true Sabre fan alive that thinks this team can MAKE the playoffs, let alone win a round or two.

This team has been out of it since they went down 7 points in late November, and have made up zero ground even with Jack, ROR and hot Kane back.

Be wise GMTM, first mover has the advantage

I would like to get your thoughts on this Ranger game. For the portions of the game that I watched the Sabres played just as well or almost as well as the Rangers. The difference was a stellar game by Lundquist. We had some opportunities at the goalie doorstep but the Ranger Swede held strong.

The point I'm making is that of course we have needs but it isn't so dire. There is no doubt that we have to strengthen the blue line but Guhle will be added and Kulikov who I thought played well should be healthier. With Risto, McCabe, Guhle and maybe Kulivov we have a core to work with. Bogo is a disappointment more because of my expectations than actual play.

I don't want the GM to panic and sell off a player such as Kane and create another hole. Because of the way he plays he doesn't seem be be a top two line player but as a third line scorer he would be a luxury that most teams don't have.

I'm not as invested as others about making the playoffs. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. I still believe the trajectory is upwards. Although many fans are disappointed I consider them on track.

I am suggesting the exact opposite of panic...Last thing I want is for the Sabres to get within 4 at the deadline and make some dumb ass trade trying to get there. I want GMTM to be realistic where they are, look at the organizational strengths and weaknesses, and plan for next year.

The strength of the organisation is clearly at the forward position, and the weakness is clearly the D. GMTM said as much yesterday.

Gionta clearly has some value if he accepts a move...but its limited. You ain't getting a top 4 D prospect for him, or any other rental.

You might for Kane, and your hope is a much cheaper winger, where you have organizational strength, can come up and produce if you can move Kane. Signing him after next year I think will be difficult if not impossible with Sammy and Jack due as well...

Edited by plenzmd1

You might for Kane, and your hope is a much cheaper winger, where you have organizational strength, can come up and produce if you can move Kane. Signing him after next year I think will be difficult if not impossible with Sammy and Jack due as well...

I'm sure I'm coming off being stubborn but I'm not for trading Kane for defensive help. This team doesn't have a surplus of goal scorers. Even if he is a third line goal scorer then that is nothing to scoff at. A goal is a goal.

There is no disputing that this team has to upgrade the defensive corps. Next year Guhle will be added to the roster. With his addition you have McCabe, Risto, Guhle and maybe Kulikov. Kulikov has been hurt this season and it is evident that it has been impaired. So there is a possibility that he can upgrade his game and maybe be a top four or at worst a third pairing defenseman. Money is certainly going to be shaved off of the cap this offseason so we should be able to add a defenseman or two.. Without a doubt this blue line unit is not top shelf but the future prospect for it is not as dire as many make it out to be.

I urge caution and recommend patience. Trust the process----it's working although some are too impatient to see it.

Kane: Part of Sabres Future or Sell High?

Evander Kane has had an up and down year and a half with the Buffalo Sabres. On the ice, he’s played well for the most part. The issues are his off-ice antics that got him into hot water this past summer. Heading into the season, Kane’s name has been swirling around in the rumor mill.

I would like to get your thoughts on this Ranger game. For the portions of the game that I watched the Sabres played just as well or almost as well as the Rangers. The difference was a stellar game by Lundquist. We had some opportunities at the goalie doorstep but the Ranger Swede held strong.

The point I'm making is that of course we have needs but it isn't so dire. There is no doubt that we have to strengthen the blue line but Guhle will be added and Kulikov who I thought played well should be healthier. With Risto, McCabe, Guhle and maybe Kulivov we have a core to work with. Bogo is a disappointment more because of my expectations than actual play.

I don't want the GM to panic and sell off a player such as Kane and create another hole. Because of the way he plays he doesn't seem be be a top two line player but as a third line scorer he would be a luxury that most teams don't have.

I'm not as invested as others about making the playoffs. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. I still believe the trajectory is upwards. Although many fans are disappointed I consider them on track.

I'm only responding to the bolded part.

The Rangers' (run of the mill at this point in his career) goalie didn't really need to work too hard. This is in spite of what appeared to be a lot of scoring chances for the home team. Many of those opportunities were routine saves and the Rangers' defense made Lundquist's life easy last night. That doesn't happen every night for that team and Lundquist isn't capable of carrying that team anymore.

On the other hand, Lehner had to make a lot of big saves to keep the Sabres in the game. If Grabiner had better hands, he would have had three or four goals on his own. The difference was a lack of defensive support. A team can't ask its (run of the mill at this point in his career) goaltender to continually keep them in games. Last night, the Sabres did that and the Rangers didn't.

And Jack Eichel held the puck way too long all night.

I'm only responding to the bolded part.

The Rangers' (run of the mill at this point in his career) goalie didn't really need to work too hard. This is in spite of what appeared to be a lot of scoring chances for the home team. Many of those opportunities were routine saves and the Rangers' defense made Lundquist's life easy last night. That doesn't happen every night for that team and Lundquist isn't capable of carrying that team anymore.

On the other hand, Lehner had to make a lot of big saves to keep the Sabres in the game. If Grabiner had better hands, he would have had three or four goals on his own. The difference was a lack of defensive support. A team can't ask its (run of the mill at this point in his career) goaltender to continually keep them in games. Last night, the Sabres did that and the Rangers didn't.

And Jack Eichel held the puck way too long all night.

The Rangers D played fantastic last night, it was a clinic, makes the goaltenders job so much easier.

This helps our puck possession state, though, right? By listening to Schopp, I've come to learn that that is the only important thing.

Perhaps he's right, but I think a more important stat is the amount of times the puck is in the back of each team's net. Call me crazy.

S8xOaArs_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

SENATORS (27-16-6) at SABRES (20-20-10)

SAT FEB 4, 2017 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 245)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 50 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 14 games
Josh Gorges (hip, Jan. 7; injured reserve) – 12 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Jan. 21) – 5 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES
Monday, Feb. 6: Buffalo at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 7: San Jose at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 9: Anaheim at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 11: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 12: Vancouver at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SENATORS at SABRES
This is the fourth of five meetings between the Sabres and Senators this season.
Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Ottawa 5-4 in Ottawa on Nov. 29, 2016
Next meeting: Tuesday, Feb. 14 in Ottawa
The Sabres are 4-4-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Senators; 4-3-3 at home
This is the 132nd game all-time between Buffalo and Ottawa; Buffalo has a 63-49-19 series record.
The Sabres are 34-22-8 at home against the Senators all-time.

Morning Skate: February 4, 2017 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

This is the type of game the Senators need to (and should) win if they want to stay in a strong position to make the playoffs. They've played up and down to their competition all year. They're healthier and better than the Sabres and need to show it.

I do enjoy watching Eichel play, even though he's made the Senators his B word in his short career. He's so smooth out there. Hockey has so many good young players right now. It's a fun time to be an NHL fan.

Good luck Sabres fans. :beer:

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Why can't Lehner play like this against OTHER teams!

Lehner was superb in this game. What our defense did very well is keep the area clear so he had a clear view.

For most of the game I thought that Ottawa had a territorial advantage.

Observations: Bailey is a speed demon.

Tired of Risto having his stick broken.

Okposo's goal was pretty. He is really strong on his skates.

Rienhart and Jack are in sync

Getting McCabe and Gorges back was helpful.

Ottawa can skate.

Kane and Foligno are both tough and gritty.

The trade Kane crowd should be banished from the forum. :D