Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kane had two goals and an assist in this game, three points. Those advocating trading him for defensive help are risking giving up one of our best scorers on a team that lacks scoring. It's easier to find help in the offseason to stabilize the defense but opportunities to acquire a consistent goal scorer is more difficult.

I watched the first two periods. We couldn't keep up with them. They were indisputably the superior team in this game.

And in the third, the Stars couldn't keep up with the Sabres. Buffalo out shot them something like 16-2, but they were severely outplayed the first 2 periods. there were a lot of cheap calls though, they were on the PK for 8 minutes in the first period alone. Not to mention the terrible Bogo call at the end of the game. All that and they still should have had a point, those were goals! Bottom line is there is hope to finish the season strong, they do have a pretty tough schedule when play resumes, so we'll know relatively soon which direction they will go....

Busy February to start:

@Montreal Tue, Jan 31

Rangers Thu, Feb 2

Senators Sat, Feb 4

Devils Mon, Feb 6

Sharks Tue, Feb 7

Ducks Thu, Feb 9

Leafs Sat, Feb 11

Canucks Sun, Feb 12

Senators Tue, Feb 14

Avalanche Thu, Feb 16

Blues Sat, Feb 18

Blackhawks Sun, Feb 19

Edited by ricojes

And in the third, the Stars couldn't keep up with the Sabres. Buffalo out shot them something like 16-2, but they were severely outplayed the first 2 periods. there were a lot of cheap calls though, they were on the PK for 8 minutes in the first period alone. Not to mention the terrible Bogo call at the end of the game. All that and they still should have had a point, those were goals! Bottom line is there is hope to finish the season strong, they do have a pretty tough schedule when play resumes, so we'll know relatively soon which direction they will go....

Busy February to start:

@Montreal Tue, Jan 31

Rangers Thu, Feb 2

Senators Sat, Feb 4

Devils Mon, Feb 6

Sharks Tue, Feb 7

Ducks Thu, Feb 9

Leafs Sat, Feb 11

Canucks Sun, Feb 12

Senators Tue, Feb 14

Avalanche Thu, Feb 16

Blues Sat, Feb 18

Blackhawks Sun, Feb 19

I didn't see the third period so I'm glad to know that they dominated the third, and to a degree balanced out the game.

The officiating was ridiculous. Calls for touch infractions made little sense. The rules are not the problem; the lack of judgment is. Calling a penalty on a superficial call that doesn't affect the play kills the flow of the game.

The schedule for February you posted is daunting. I hate to say it but I don't think this team is going to qualify for the playoffs. I'm not as bothered by it as some are. I want to see progress and pieces added to the roster, likely before the start of the next season. However, the battered fans surely deserve to watch postseason games sooner rather than later.

I didn't see the third period so I'm glad to know that they dominated the third, and to a degree balanced out the game.

The officiating was ridiculous. Calls for touch infractions made little sense. The rules are not the problem; the lack of judgment is. Calling a penalty on a superficial call that doesn't affect the play kills the flow of the game.

The schedule for February you posted is daunting. I hate to say it but I don't think this team is going to qualify for the playoffs. I'm not as bothered by it as some are. I want to see progress and pieces added to the roster, likely before the start of the next season. However, the battered fans surely deserve to watch postseason games sooner rather than later.

Most arrogant officials in all of sports, where else do you see these types of things from officials:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/1/26/14408318/nhl-referee-hot-mic-f-bombs-predators-blue-jackets

Most arrogant officials in all of sports, where else do you see these types of things from officials:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/1/26/14408318/nhl-referee-hot-mic-f-bombs-predators-blue-jackets

There were two specific calls on Kane that were outrageous. One was on the wall where there was a quick engagement and an immediate release between the two players where the puck kept moving up the ice and the play continued. There was another play where they either called slashing or holding where it is basically a brush with the stick that had no bearing on the opposing player and the puck moved on in play. You can almost see Kane say WTF.

As picayune as these touch infractions were made the calls that weren't made were interference calls. There is an erratic nature to the referring that makes it impossible for the players to adjust to. The lack of common sense and judgment gets my goat as much as defensive trapping does.

There were two specific calls on Kane that were outrageous. One was on the wall where there was a quick engagement and an immediate release between the two players where the puck kept moving up the ice and the play continued. There was another play where they either called slashing or holding where it is basically a brush with the stick that had no bearing on the opposing player and the puck moved on in play. You can almost see Kane say WTF.

As picayune as these touch infractions were made the calls that weren't made were interference calls. There is an erratic nature to the referring that makes it impossible for the players to adjust to. The lack of common sense and judgment gets my goat as much as defensive trapping does.

I'm right there with you! Plus the fact that there are essentially two different sets of "rules" the officials use. One for regular season and one for the playoffs. I remember the year that the Sabres FO were in front of the move by the league to enforce interference, they built a fast team to adapt to the rule change (actually just enforcement, they had to tell the refs to call a penalty in the rule book). It was a great move, they won the presidents cup that year. But playoffs start, and guess what, new set of rules, playoff rules! The interference that was called all season was no longer called and the Sabres faster, but smaller team, got beat up. That was frustrating....

Edited by ricojes

They really need to find a way to mount a camera in the crossbar so they can finally be rid of inconclusive replays due to the off center angle of that overhead view. I'm guessing there are concerns with that (and also putting them in the goal posts) about how it would change the way a puck would deflect off the pipe, but in this technological day and age I'm sure they can figure it out. That angle, just like all other camera angles would have its flaws (ie. puck under the goalie like the first reviewed non-goal), but with more angles, you get more thorough reviews. We'd know for sure on the review at the end of the game with a true overhead view inside the net.

They really need to find a way to mount a camera in the crossbar so they can finally be rid of inconclusive replays due to the off center angle of that overhead view. I'm guessing there are concerns with that (and also putting them in the goal posts) about how it would change the way a puck would deflect off the pipe, but in this technological day and age I'm sure they can figure it out. That angle, just like all other camera angles would have its flaws (ie. puck under the goalie like the first reviewed non-goal), but with more angles, you get more thorough reviews. We'd know for sure on the review at the end of the game with a true overhead view inside the net.

They already have crossbar cams.

https://twitter.com/EverythingBuf/status/824837109626331136

How is it that there's an MSG logo on that yet I never saw that angle once last night?

Apparently they aren't immediately available to the broadcast booth, but they are for the Toronto reviews. That angle does look inconclusive to me, though.

Apparently they aren't immediately available to the broadcast booth, but they are for the Toronto reviews. That angle does look inconclusive to me, though.

I'd say that to me, this angle looks like the puck never crossed. It looks like it's moving parallel to the line, directly above it. Something feels slightly off with the appearance of that camera angle though, but I can't place what that is.

Busy February to start:

@Montreal Tue, Jan 31

Rangers Thu, Feb 2

Senators Sat, Feb 4

Devils Mon, Feb 6

Sharks Tue, Feb 7

Ducks Thu, Feb 9

Leafs Sat, Feb 11

Canucks Sun, Feb 12

Senators Tue, Feb 14

Avalanche Thu, Feb 16

Blues Sat, Feb 18

Blackhawks Sun, Feb 19

That's a lot of consecutive home games!

Kane had two goals and an assist in this game, three points. Those advocating trading him for defensive help are risking giving up one of our best scorers on a team that lacks scoring. It's easier to find help in the offseason to stabilize the defense but opportunities to acquire a consistent goal scorer is more difficult.

I watched the first two periods. We couldn't keep up with them. They were indisputably the superior team in this game.

I guess it depends. In reality his trade value has never been higher for us and his salary doesn't fit the team long term. So if you can get a young, puck moving defenseman, a top prospect, and/or a high draft choice you seriously have to consider moving him.

I guess it depends. In reality his trade value has never been higher for us and his salary doesn't fit the team long term. So if you can get a young, puck moving defenseman, a top prospect, and/or a high draft choice you seriously have to consider moving him.

I still say no! This team has a dearth of scorers. Why deal a scorer who is on a team with a dearth of scorers? Next year Guhle will be added to the roster. So that will help.There will be some expiring contracts to dispose of that will open up more cap space. The organization will then have opportunities to get quality defensemen who will shore up that unit and make it respectable.

I simply don't understand the desire to get rid of one of our best scorers. What makes it even more perplexing to me is that he is not a one dimensional player. He is a two way player and a maximum effort player. Please, just leave him alone and stop creating a hole to fill a hole only to still have a hole. Absolutely not !

This is an Alamo decision for me. I will not yield; I will fight to the bitter end.

They play the Leafs on my birthday (2/11)... Better not wreck my day Leaf Blowers... I am looking @ you thebug! :-P :-P

:-)

Ok since it's your birthday, I hope the Sabres get you a win! We don't get that many birthdays and it's just one hockey game, but after that Go Leafs Go! 🍺

I do cheer for the Sabres when they play any other team!

I'm debating making an overniter to Montreal for the game. Only a 4 hour drive for me. Tickets are cheap on StubHub.

Cheap tickets to a game in Montreal? I guess the crappy Canadian dollar helps.