Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Color me impressed with the 3 3rd period comebacks, last night especially.

Still think they have no shot at the playoffs based off history...but we shall see.

But at least we're seeing the type of team we thought they had this year. They're finally healthy for the most part (i know....no excuses), and the last few games they look like a team that can compete for the 8th seed. 1 game left before the all star game mini break, hopefully they can pick up another 2...

Edited by ricojes

But at least we're seeing the type of team we thought they had this year. They're finally healthy for the most part (i know....no excuses), and the last few games they look like a team that can compete for the 8th seed. 1 game left before the all star game mini break, hopefully they can pick up another 2...

In my campaign to promote the retention of Kane I want to point out that his line scored two goals. He had an assist and was plus two in this game. The Gionta-Gergensens-Kane line is adding balance to the other top two lines.

What I'm hoping to see and am seeing it is secondary players like Gergensens are starting to find a role and providing production. When you have more scorers on more lines you have a greater capability to come back when behind.

Observations: It was good to get Kulikov back. I thought he played reasonably well for someone who hasn't played for a long time. When Franson places his shots on net or near it he becomes more valuable. When watching Reinhart you realize his value from the intelligent way he plays. Stats don't demonstrate how valuable he is to this team. The same sentiment applies to O'Reilly.

When McCabe gets back our defense corps will be adequate to a little less than solid. It is not as dire as people make it out to be. Getting rid of a scorer (Kane) from this roster only magnifies the mistakes our defense and goalies makes.

The Sabres are on a good run and are fun to watch. I'm not sure they will make the playoffs but I'm hoping that the last quarter of the season has meaningful games. Ultimately this year it is not about making the playoffs (love to see) as it is building a roster for the long term.

Still don't know why the Eastern Conf teams are ok with having two more teams than the West for the same number of playoff spots.

Make it three 3rd period comebacks in a row. I woke my wife up yelling when Jack scored the winner last night. Oops.

They're ok with it because the current alignment guarantees another expansion team after Las Vegas, which lines everyone's pockets.

That's the "loser point" effect.

It's not a result of the loser effect. It's the shootout (and also 3-on-3 OT) effect. They had the loser point for a while before they instituted the lockout and they never saw standings that looked anything like this. I've said it for a while now, the bonus point is not the one handed to the loser, it's the one handed to the winner. These games are all all ties with one extra point handed out.

Like I said, 21 games with Jack to start the season and they're comfortably in the playoff hunt. To say otherwise to say he's not a difference maker.

There is no such thing as "what if" points. Difference makes get hurt on all teams. How do you redo crediting points when McDavid, Price, Cosby, Malkin, Patrick Kane, Toews get hurt and don't play for extended period of times. You either make the playoffs or you don't.

With respect to the highlighted area name one person who said that Eichel wasn't a difference maker? When you chase the bogeyman and catch him let me know who it is.

7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpgVS. TBbQYcMw_200x200.jpg

SABRES (20-18-9) at STARS (19-20-10)

THU JAN 26, 2017 @ 8:30 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 233)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 47 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 11 games
Josh Gorges (hip, Jan. 7) – 9 games
Jake McCabe (shoulder, Jan. 21) – 2 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/20: Assigned G Linus Ullmark to Rochester (AHL)
1/24: Activated D Dmitry Kulikov from IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, Jan. 31: Buffalo at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 2: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 4: Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 6: Buffalo at New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 7: San Jose at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SABRES at STARS
This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Stars this season.
Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Dallas 4-1 in Buffalo on Jan. 16
The Sabres are 4-6-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Stars; 3-7-0 on the road.
This is the 120th game all-time between Buffalo and Dallas; Buffalo has a 56-46-17 series record.
The Sabres are 23-31-6 on the road against the Stars all-time.

Morning Skate: January 26, 2017 at 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm at American Airlines Center

@BuffaloSabres

Defensemen stepping up in a big way during Sabres' streak - http://bufsabres.co/RfBLRL

C3DkbKSXUAEbYeJ.jpg

Hear from the parents - Dads of Brian Gionta, Taylor Fedun, Jack Eichel, Zach Bogosian catch up with @duffersabres - http://bufsabres.co/NrYEuI

C3D5ZYsXgAA66mE.jpg
C3D5bPdXUAAJZ9h.jpg
C3D5bPgXgAAJagm.jpg

C3D5bPnXUAAiCPl.jpg

Still don't know why the Eastern Conf teams are ok with having two more teams than the West for the same number of playoff spots.

That's ridiculous, too!

The loser point typically adds the illusion of parity, but there really isn't any team (or teams) in our conference that is a trainwreck this year (like Colorado, Arizona).

If Pete Rozelle had thought of a loser point in his quest for parity, he would have been all about this.

It's not a result of the loser effect. It's the shootout (and also 3-on-3 OT) effect. They had the loser point for a while before they instituted the lockout and they never saw standings that looked anything like this. I've said it for a while now, the bonus point is not the one handed to the loser, it's the one handed to the winner. These games are all all ties with one extra point handed out.

I agree on the point being awarded to the winner...but I don't remember the extra point before the lockout.

Just found an article that it started it did start in the 99-2000 season...man it sucks getting old.

https://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/how-the-guaranteed-point-is-ruining-the-nhl/

I would have bet you a million dollars it started after the lockout

Good afternoon.

I will be going to the game later on.

FYI ....There's a meet up there at Pira's prior to the game.

There's even a photo shoot too.

A group known as Displaced Sabres fans will have a representative there to take a picture to post in their group email/Facebook and Twitter pages.

Not sure what that guy was trying to see? The game was over and the only thing left to see was the Leafs coming out for the 3 stars after spanking his team 4-0.

For you closet Leaf lovers that's back to back 4-0 wins and the Leafs are 9-0-2 in their last 11 road games. Not bad for such a young team!

Not sure what that guy was trying to see? The game was over and the only thing left to see was the Leafs coming out for the 3 stars after spanking his team 4-0.

For you closet Leaf lovers that's back to back 4-0 wins and the Leafs are 9-0-2 in their last 11 road games. Not bad for such a young team!

I was watching part of that game. They are good. Austin Mathews isn't as dynamic as Eichel is from a skating and hard shot standpoint but he reminds me of Reinhart from an intelligence standpoint. His ability to ease into the sweet spots is uncanny. He doesn't dance around with the puck as Eichel does---he quickly releases his accurate shots on goal.

The hallmark of this team is that they can skate and they are fast. They're not bangers but they have three skilled lines all populated with young players. Got to give credit where credit is due. Anyone who thinks the Sabres are on par or better than the Leafs is a hometown bigot.

I was watching part of that game. They are good. Austin Mathews isn't as dynamic as Eichel is from a skating and hard shot standpoint but he reminds me of Reinhart from an intelligence standpoint. His ability to ease into the sweet spots is uncanny. He doesn't dance around with the puck as Eichel does---he quickly releases his accurate shots on goal.

The hallmark of this team is that they can skate and they are fast. They're not bangers but they have three skilled lines all populated with young players. Got to give credit where credit is due. Anyone who thinks the Sabres are on par or better than the Leafs is a hometown bigot.

Hey John, you really need to stop all of the Leaf blowing. ;)