Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Why do I get the sense this team still lacks a superstar....and f u to Murray for ignoring the back end....this team is **** with a lot of fat left to be trimmed. Giving up a 1st for a goalie was wildly irresponsible.....still like lehner but that was a joke of a trade. Not sure if it's players not buying into bylsma or he just doesn't have the horses.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even a Buffalo partisan can see that Toronto is a better team. The Leafs are faster and quicker skaters and have a larger collection of good young players. The Sabres hit more often and harder but our defense lacks the talent to keep up. I got to give our neighbors to the north credit for collecting and developing such a good young group. In a couple of years they should move up the ranks to be a seriously contending team.

Without a doubt their organization executed their rebuilding play better than our organization.

Even a Buffalo partisan can see that Toronto is a better team. The Leafs are faster and quicker skaters and have a larger collection of good young players. The Sabres hit more often and harder but our defense lacks the talent to keep up. I got to give our neighbors to the north credit for collecting and developing such a good young group. In a couple of years they should move up the ranks to be a seriously contending team.

Without a doubt their organization executed their rebuilding play better than our organization.

Absolutely. Toronto is simply more talented top to bottom and is FAR, FAR better coached.

The goaltending is just awful -- so many soft goals. They are far worse than their stats indicate. Chad Johnson is giving you the middle finger, GMTM.

I don't know how much more of Bylsma's dump and chase / positional style of hockey I can take. It's so frustrating to watch. The constant line shuffling (Moulson to the 1st line in the 3rd period?) reeks of over-coaching. At this point I'd rather throw the X's and O's out the window and have Nolan back.

The goaltending is just awful -- so many soft goals. They are far worse than their stats indicate. Chad Johnson is giving you the middle finger, GMTM.

I don't know how much more of Bylsma's dump and chase / positional style of hockey I can take. It's so frustrating to watch. The constant line shuffling (Moulson to the 1st line in the 3rd period?) reeks of over-coaching. At this point I'd rather throw the X's and O's out the window and have Nolan back.

Weird game. First two Leafs goals are junk, but the game is filled with so many of those goals now, can't really call them lucky.

I don't know how you get better for next year, but GMTM best find a way. I am an advocate for Kane going in a trade for a quality D, but who is going to want him?

I then move to Sammy...only problem there is if we trade him not enough money going out the door...and we flat up agaisnt the cap.

This is not pretty with GMTM....love the guys honesty, hate his results.

This is the second full season of a complete rebuild. They have a lot of work to do yet, this is far from complete. They need a number 1 goalie, another scoring forward, and maybe as many as 3 defenseman, before even being considered playoff caliber. The trade deadline will be key, hopefully they can unload a Franson and/or Gorges, maybe even Kulikov. Larsson and Girginsons should be on the table as well. Buy out Moulson this off season and then comes the expansion draft.

As for Toronto being ahead in the rebuild process, yes they seem to be. They have had a hot streak the last 10, before that the Sabres were even with them. But I don't think they dismantled the team as much as Buffalo and they had some pretty good trade value in the guys they traded, so that helped. Plus Toronto won the lottery and got a superstar, that will jump start the rebuild. The Sabres lost the lottery, they still got a great player, but not a generational talent.

I am also not sold on Bylsma. They should be playing a looser, more up tempo style. Instead of a patient, wait and attack when the time is right philosophy. Especially with the amount of young players and speed on this team.

At this point, they are a little behind where I thought they would be in the rebuild. But if they started the season healthy, I can see maybe 4 or 5 more points, which would have put them exactly where I expected. I couldn't realistically expect too much more in the second full season of a complete rebuild. It would have been a nice surprise and it does suck and "it may require some suffering", but they have some really good pieces to build around...

Edited by ricojes

1) We have no ability to clear the puck out of our own end, no outlet passing...the O'Reilly brother literally tried to clear the puck three times and it bounced off the boards right to a Maple Leaf

2) Despite everyone's opinion of our forwards, they lack puck handling skills. Their games are choppy, dump and chase strategy, and when they try a fancy deek, they usually end up losing the puck

3) Lehner is a head case...done.

I'm not willing to go that far. I think it all begins and ends with your last sentence.

I don't know how you can consider that the Sabres are a better or equal team to Toronto. They have more younger players who are good and there is a cohesion in play reflected in their speed and up and down style of play. They certainly are not a banging team but that isn't their identity or forte.

Over the last couple of years they smartly got rid of some of their talented high cost players for picks and younger players. They did a good job of parlaying those transactions into a talented young roster that is getting better and more confident.

The best part of watching Toronto is that they are entertaining. They don't have as many stinker games that squeeze the life out of

you.

I see absolutely no problem with the talent up front on this team, except the need for one more in the top 6. It all falls back on what I've been saying for a while now, the blue line. It doesn't matter what you have up front when you're essentially stuck in a 5-on-3 situation for more than half of the game due to all the dead weight back there. I'm not sold on Toronto's blue line either, but they've found a way to work with that and that all reflects on the coaching.

I see absolutely no problem with the talent up front on this team, except the need for one more in the top 6. It all falls back on what I've been saying for a while now, the blue line. It doesn't matter what you have up front when you're essentially stuck in a 5-on-3 situation for more than half of the game due to all the dead weight back there. I'm not sold on Toronto's blue line either, but they've found a way to work with that and that all reflects on the coaching.

The link is from Buffalo News and written by Mike Harrington. It speaks to K-9's comments and the comparison between the two teams' rebuild. It was a fair and good analysis.

One keen observation by Harrington was that the Sabres have too many dead weight players (which not also noted) that have served to be a drag on the team. They were the GM acquisitions.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/17/mike-harrington-sabres-getting-left-dust-leafs-rebuild/http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/17/mike-harrington-sabres-getting-left-dust-leafs-rebuild/

The link is from Buffalo News and written by Mike Harrington. It speaks to K-9's comments and the comparison between the two teams' rebuild. It was a fair and good analysis.

One keen observation by Harrington was that the Sabres have too many dead weight players (which not also noted) that have served to be a drag on the team. They were the GM acquisitions.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/17/mike-harrington-sabres-getting-left-dust-leafs-rebuild/http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/17/mike-harrington-sabres-getting-left-dust-leafs-rebuild/

I'm 100% on board with the dead weight comments, specifically Franson. I feel like I'm watching myself skate any time he's out there. I too can be timed on a sundial. The good thing there though is that are definitely free of him after this year. I'm not quite sure on how they move on from Gorges (1 year left) and Bogosian (3 years left, expansion draft?) though. That's going to be key, reshaping that bottom 4.

I know your view on Guhle already, but where else do you think the fix is going to come from? It seems like they're going to have to make a hard push for Shattenkirk. Beyond that, it looks like the market is going to be mostly retreads (but still more than just the Falk and Fedun variety).

Strangely enough, it looks like Toronto may again be our competition this offseason, this time in the search for some defensemen. They've really only got two under contract for next year.

Oh, and one point to that Harrington column that really made no sense to me. He compares the production of Toronto's rookies to that of Fasching/Bailey/Baptiste. You may as well be comparing Crosby to Tyler Ennis. We all know who those Toronto rookies are always going to be compared to and it's not a trio of crap shoot prospects.

I'm 100% on board with the dead weight comments, specifically Franson. I feel like I'm watching myself skate any time he's out there. I too can be timed on a sundial. The good thing there though is that are definitely free of him after this year. I'm not quite sure on how they move on from Gorges (1 year left) and Bogosian (3 years left, expansion draft?) though. That's going to be key, reshaping that bottom 4.

I know your view on Guhle already, but where else do you think the fix is going to come from? It seems like they're going to have to make a hard push for Shattenkirk. Beyond that, it looks like the market is going to be mostly retreads (but still more than just the Falk and Fedun variety).

Strangely enough, it looks like Toronto may again be our competition this offseason, this time in the search for some defensemen. They've really only got two under contract for next year.

Oh, and one point to that Harrington column that really made no sense to me. He compares the production of Toronto's rookies to that of Fasching/Bailey/Baptiste. You may as well be comparing Crosby to Tyler Ennis. We all know who those Toronto rookies are always going to be compared to and it's not a trio of crap shoot prospects.

Great post and agree completely

There were some tactical personnel mistakes that the GM made that have accumulated to a critical mass that set this team back this year. The first is the trade of Kulikov for Pysyk. It's obvious that the GM prefers bangers to finesse defensemen but that transaction set us back. In Kulikov they got a hitter and a player with impressive physical attributes. They also got a player who consistently makes glaring mistakes that are killers. So the tally is that he gives up a smooth skating defenseman who is smart with his positioning and who effortlessly moves the puck out of the zone for a banger whose positional instincts border on being stupid, and by the way he is injury prone. So if you throw in the Guhle move to the juniors instead of keeping him on the roster, a position he earned by merit, then the defense is significantly better because they would be replacing deficit players. It's inarguable that just by adding those two defensemen the composition of that unit is upgraded. The unit's identity certainly wouldn't be for crunching hits but it would be for its skating and passing skills.

I don't want to rehash the Lehner deal but I am infuriated by it. He acquired a goalie that Ottawa didn't want and gave up a first round pick for him. That pick that Ottawa acquired was used for a player who was one of the best players in the world junior tournament. I don't care if that prospect was at least a couple years away from joining the big club. He gave away a promising asset for a player that was no better than Nilsson or Chad Johnson. The accumulation of miscalculations are adding up and has significantly slowed down the pace of this team's rebuild. Toronto was smart and strategic with their rebuild while Murray put in a lot of wasted energy in outsmarting himself.

As far as Falk and Fedun they certainly are not exceptional but on the positive side they have lively legs and keep up. As you pointed out and so has everyone else Franson simply can't keep up. The only positive attribute he brings to the table is his so called talent for shooting the puck. As far as I can tell even that supposed talent is non-existent. His shots are not just off the mark, that are wildly off the mark.

There were some tactical personnel mistakes that the GM made that have accumulated to a critical mass that set this team back this year. The first is the trade of Kulikov for Pysyk. It's obvious that the GM prefers bangers to finesse defensemen but that transaction set us back. In Kulikov they got a hitter and a player with impressive physical attributes. They also got a player who consistently makes glaring mistakes that are killers. So the tally is that he gives up a smooth skating defenseman who is smart with his positioning and who effortlessly moves the puck out of the zone for a banger whose positional instincts border on being stupid, and by the way he is injury prone. So if you throw in the Guhle move to the juniors instead of keeping him on the roster, a position he earned by merit, then the defense is significantly better because they would be replacing deficit players. It's inarguable that just by adding those two defensemen the composition of that unit is upgraded. The unit's identity certainly wouldn't be for crunching hits but it would be for its skating and passing skills.

I don't want to rehash the Lehner deal but I am infuriated by it. He acquired a goalie that Ottawa didn't want and gave up a first round pick for him. That pick that Ottawa acquired was used for a player who was one of the best players in the world junior tournament. I don't care if that prospect was at least a couple years away from joining the big club. He gave away a promising asset for a player that was no better than Nilsson or Chad Johnson. The accumulation of miscalculations are adding up and has significantly slowed down the pace of this team's rebuild. Toronto was smart and strategic with their rebuild while Murray put in a lot of wasted energy in outsmarting himself.

As far as Falk and Fedun they certainly are not exceptional but on the positive side they have lively legs and keep up. As you pointed out and so has everyone else Franson simply can't keep up. The only positive attribute he brings to the table is his so called talent for shooting the puck. As far as I can tell even that supposed talent is non-existent. His shots are not just off the mark, that are wildly off the mark.

I think every Sabre fan in the world, (minus a few knuckleheads LOL) has been saying the same thing on both trades for a while.

But that's in the past, question is what is GMTM going to do to rectify the ship???

I think you have 3 guys locked in on D next year..Risto, McCabe, Guhle..maybe Fedun. I don't watch the minors or JR's, so rely on hockey sites, but none of them have any other prospect making an impact next year. Let's all hope GMTM does not compound his mistake on Kulikov and sign him to some ridiculous extension.

I think he is going to have to ship a pretty big name to get something in return that can help next year on the backend.

I think every Sabre fan in the world, (minus a few knuckleheads LOL) has been saying the same thing on both trades for a while.

But that's in the past, question is what is GMTM going to do to rectify the ship???

I think you have 3 guys locked in on D next year..Risto, McCabe, Guhle..maybe Fedun. I don't watch the minors or JR's, so rely on hockey sites, but none of them have any other prospect making an impact next year. Let's all hope GMTM does not compound his mistake on Kulikov and sign him to some ridiculous extension.

I think he is going to have to ship a pretty big name to get something in return that can help next year on the backend.

The attached link is an 18 minute hockey discussion with Mike Robitaille on WGR. It is timely and relates to the discussion we are having hear. You can hear the frustration and exasperation in Mike's voice and comments when talking about this team. What he is advocating is being aggressive in changing the roster because it is evident that things are not working out with the current roster. He makes a keen observation and puts it in a question form by asking why is it that Columbus and Toronto who were behind us last year took a quantum leap forward this year and we didn't?

http://media.wgr550.com/a/118137074/01-18-one-goal-show-with-mike-robitaille.htm