Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Nilsson looked really good in this game. He was efficient and calm reacting to shots. He should be the first star.

I thought Reinhart and O'Reilly played really well.

For those advocating for Kane to be exposed in the expansion draft I say heck no. Getting rid of a scorer on a team that is lacking scorers makes no sense.

The Jack outburst was the point that this team changed its course. The team is on a good run of garnering points and inching up the ladder.

Never liked the Lehner trade, not worth a first and with his injuries will doubtfully be any good. Tim messed up here.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nilsson looked really good in this game. He was efficient and calm reacting to shots. He should be the first star.

I thought Reinhart and O'Reilly played really well.

For those advocating for Kane to be exposed in the expansion draft I say heck no. Getting rid of a scorer on a team that is lacking scorers makes no sense.

The Jack outburst was the point that this team changed its course. The team is on a good run of garnering points and inching up the ladder.

Agreed on Nilsson. Also, even though Jack didn't make the stat sheet, his comments last week demonstrate leadership. That's worth a few points alone.

1-10: GMTM ON WGR (23:46)

GMTM- "Obviously Nylander was an all-star, I was kind of expecting it in his 2nd year. I was really impressed with Asplund."

GMTM- "If we can get Asplund signed and into training camp next year that would be ideal. I don't think he's far off."

GMTM- "I'm not going to go off a ten game tournament and diverge from our development path. Development is everything today."

GMTM- "I suspect Nylander will come into camp, have a great camp, and make it a really tough decision for us."

GMTM on Fitzgerald- "He played well, that was not an easy team to make. He had a good tournament, they used him a lot, and he won gold."

GMTM- "It's hard to judge exactly what we are. I get calls from GMs asking if we are a buyer or a seller. I don't know."

GMTM- "I think we're competitive. I think if we had our full team from the beginning we'd be in a playoff position or close to one."

GMTM- "We've had a lot of crap happen to us in the first half of our year. Maybe other teams have crap happen to them in the second half."

Post-Game Report: 1/10 vs. PHI

Top Notes

• Anders Nilsson made 39 saves in the win tonight, improving his record at home this season to 5-1-1 with a .947 save percentage and a 1.84 goals-against average.
    • Nilsson, who improved to 7-3-4 on the season with the win, now ranks fifth in the NHL with a .930 save percentage.
  • With three points tonight (1+2), Sam Reinhart tied the career-best mark he set a year ago today with a hat trick at Winnipeg on Jan. 10, 2016.
    • Reinhart now has 12 points (3+9) in his last 10 games, including points in four straight home games (1+5).
  • Ryan O’Reilly tallied two assist tonight and now has two points in each of his last three games since returning from injury.
    • O’Reilly has eight points (2+6) in his last seven home games and seven points (1+6) in his last six games overall.
  • Evander Kane’s goal gives him sole possession of the team lead with nine even-strength goals in 29 games this season.
  • With an empty net goal tonight, Marcus Foligno now has a point in four straight home games (3+1).

Never liked the Lehner trade, not worth a first and with his injuries will doubtfully be any good. Tim messed up here.

He didn't mess up, he made a move that hasn't been great to this point. He has made several moves that were good, including Nilsson. We finally have a GM that is willing to take chances, they are not all going to work. But Lehner is a good goaltender. I hope Nilsson continues to play well, I have my doubts that he's an everyday starter. But if he can be, Lehner is a great backup to him.

Edited by ricojes

We could have used that pick on one of Ottawa's elite prospects. The problem with the Lehner deal was not his acquisition it was the cost (as you noted). He was a goalie that the Sen's were looking to replace. He also was hurt so that should have diminished his value.

This is a conjecture on my part but because he is so big and plays a position that calls for lightening quick responses it makes him prone to being injured. In the comparison between Nielsson and Lehner it seems to me that Nielsson is quicker and more composed. When lumbering Lehner goes down he stays down.

However, having two quality goalies is certainly an asset and a good thing. In my judgment Lehner is not better or worse than Nielsson or even Chad Johnson. So why pay a premium price?

He didn't mess up, he made a move that hasn't been great to this point. He has made several moves that were good, including Nilsson. We finally have a GM that is willing to take chances, they are not all going to work. But Lehner is a good goaltender. I hope Nilsson continues to play well, I have my doubts that he's an everyday starter. But if he can be, Lehner is a great backup to him.

If you have doubts on whether is a full time goaltender yet he plays well when guarding the net there is a simple solution: Rotate the goaltenders, even if the rotation is not evenly split. As I said in another post it is an asset to have two solid goaltenders and nothing to lament about.

Lehner was an intriguing goalie prospect because of his size. But the Sens had a surplus of goaltenders and were moving on from the injured Lehner. The pick that was used for him could have been used for one of the elite prospects that Ottawa has in its pipeline. For the most part the questions regarding the goalie deal has to do with the cost and not the talent. That is a very valid criticism.

Thanks to Sam Reinhart

You can see him start to ooze with confidence. His ice intelligence and instincts are magnificent.

Last week I picked up a group of 18 tickets for this friday's game in Carolina. I need to do this more often. Discounted tickets and only a single $10 fee for the entire thing? Sign me up. I'll be the only Sabre fan in the group, but it should be a good time. The others aren't Carolina fans though, so I'm sure I can use Eichel to win them over, especially the kids.

You can see him start to ooze with confidence. His ice intelligence and instincts are magnificent.

It's fun to watch. Some guys (like Eichel) know immediately they belong, but sometimes it takes a couple of seasons. Sam appears to have reached that point.

Last week I picked up a group of 18 tickets for this friday's game in Carolina. I need to do this more often. Discounted tickets and only a single $10 fee for the entire thing? Sign me up. I'll be the only Sabre fan in the group, but it should be a good time. The others aren't Carolina fans though, so I'm sure I can use Eichel to win them over, especially the kids.

Schitt I forgot they're here on Friday. I need to get tickets. Looks like plenty available on Ticketmaster.

It's fun to watch. Some guys (like Eichel) know immediately they belong, but sometimes it takes a couple of seasons. Sam appears to have reached that point.

You bring up an interesting point with your apt description of Eichel. With a player such as Eichel there is a dynamism to his game that compels you to watch him. The speed, power, laser shot are clearly beyond the norm. Kane to a certain extent falls into that dynamic category. However, the beauty to Smart Sam and O'Reilly's games has less to do with their dynamism and more to do with their instincts and feel for the game. Their ability to space the ice (like point guards in basketball) is uncanny. You simply can't teach that. I have been a strong advocate for Evander Kane. But I'm well aware that he will never have the ability to think the game to the supernatural level of players such as Reinhert and O'Reilly.

Gems such as Reinhert and O'Reilly should be appreciated less over their stats and more about the beauty/sophistication of their play.

:lol::lol::lol: Hard to be pissed at Samson...but that thing did not even hit the net

Thank god for the replay from the trailing angle. The live feed did not do justice to just how wide open that net was. I would have thought that only early season Evander Kane could have missed that net.

The same way we got along with scoring prodigies Adam Luke and Cody Hodgson!

Who dat?

@TBNSports

#Sabres' Ryan O'Reilly hopes to show the city a winning team. @BuffNewsVogl at [bN] Hockey: http://bit.ly/2idlag1

C16TL4kWEAMXeb4.jpg

@amymoritz

Nilsson and Lehner are the sixth best goalie tandem in the NHL right now. That's a good problem for the Sabres.

https://t.co/fZRDyWOjR3