NFL Network: Top Five Bills of All Time

The human naturally wants to quantify the environment.

It's just how the brain is wired. to make sense of things.

Some take it a bit far , perhaps ha ha !

But thats another story

This reads like an alien narrator describing a nature show.

"I'll hide behind these large mineral deposits while Zorgon attempts to tag the humanoid so that we may follow his migrations and mating habits."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'll hide behind these large mineral deposits while Zorgon attempts to tag the humanoid so that we may follow his migrations and mating habits."

The study of the species variant named Bills Fans, has become a study focus in many social aspects. Rather amazing dynamic.

i could create a heat chart if needed

Maybe you were thinking Wild Kingdom vs Star Trek ?

The study of the species variant named Bills Fans, has become a study focus in many social aspects. Rather amazing dynamic.

i could create a heat chart if needed

Maybe you were thinking Wild Kingdom vs Star Trek ?

Marlin Perkins set the universal standard for nature shows. The format plays well in all galaxies and other star systems. It's why Mutual of Alpha Centauri was so quick to sign up as a sponsor.

Marlin Perkins set the universal standard for nature shows. The format plays well in all galaxies and other star systems. It's why Mutual of Alpha Centauri was so quick to sign up as a sponsor.

Funny stuff. My dish doesn't pick that up. I may need a new provider. :)

Funny stuff. My dish doesn't pick that up. I may need a new provider. :)

Have you tried attaching a wire coat hanger wrapped in tinfoil?

Kirk to Scottie, three to beam up. 1 human, 1 talaxian, and 1 targ.

I had to look that up. Hopefully got it right.

The scary thing is, there are Trek nerds in this community who actually know. They converse in Klingon.

The first four are almost not debatable. Specifically Bruce Smith #1, OJ #2 and then Kelly and Thurman in some order. Even though Kelly has the whole face of the franchise thing going for him, I'm inclined to put Thurman #3. He is simply a greater all time RB than Kelly is a QB. The MVP seals it. After that, I would put Reed but my Bills expertise really only spans from about 1984-present.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

The first four are almost not debatable. Specifically Bruce Smith #1, OJ #2 and then Kelly and Thurman in some order. Even though Kelly has the whole face of the franchise thing going for him, I'm inclined to put Thurman #3. He is simply a greater all time RB than Kelly is a QB. The MVP seals it. After that, I would put Reed but my Bills expertise really only spans from about 1984-present.

I'm certainly with you on the first 4. I go back years earlier, but for the life of me I can't decide who I'd pick from the older crowd. I was younger, and the game was different.

Butch Byrd is the only Bill defender on the pro football reference all 60's team 3x first team all pro. Billy Shaw is in the HOF deservedly, And Ron McDole was also on that team.

His career was too short lived too qualify but Robert James set a standard for playing cornerback and his play led to rule changes.

For those under-appreciating Cookie, he averaged 4.5 yards per carry for the Bills. And, admittedly, his best years may have been in Canada before joining the NFL.

Thurman averaged 4.2 yards per carry in his Bills career.

Cookie was a beast: 6'3", 250 lbs, and mean. In 1962, he rushed for 1000+ yards (in a 14 games season) at 5.1 yards per pop, ran for 13 TD, caught 2 TD passes, and kicked 8 FGs, and was named the AFL MVP.

Cookie led the AFL in rushing 2 of the 3 years he played for the Bills.

There's all sorts of great stories and comments about Cookie, for example:

“Whoever’d run up, he’d run at him and then run over him,” his former Bills teammate Booker Edgerson, a defensive back, told Jeff Miller in “Going Long,” a history of the A.F.L. “A lot of guys said, ‘Why don’t you sidestep and run around?’ He said: ‘I want to teach them a lesson. If I run over ’em, they won’t come up anymore.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/sports/11gilchrist.html?_r=1

The Bills had to win to host the AFL Championship game six days later. The atmosphere was tense, the room quiet.

"Cookie stood up," Maguire recalled, "and said 'I'm going to tell you something. If we don't win this game, I'm going to beat the s--- out of everybody in this locker room.' "

Just then, Bills head coach Lou Saban and assistants Joe Collier, Jerry Smith and John Mazur unwittingly walked into their star fullback's escalating fury.

Maguire continued: "Cookie pointed and said, 'And I'm going to start with you, Coach. I'm going to kick your ass first.' I just sat back in my locker. I knew he meant it."

On the first play of the game, Gilchrist took a handoff from Jack Kemp and trucked helpless Patriots safety Chuck Shonta. [Cookie knocked Shonta unconcious].

"Cookie ran right over his ass," said Maguire, the Bills' popular linebacker and punter. "Then he went up to Bob Dee, who was the defensive end, and says 'You're next.' Kemp came over the sideline and said 'We've got to get him out of there. He's going to kill somebody.' "

[According to other unsanitized versions of the story, Cookie went the Pats bench and shouted, "Which one of you f*ckers are next?!?!"]

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/24656/cookie-gilchrist-rumbled-right-until-the-end

Edited by hondo in seattle

Hondo, that's HYSTERICAL! Love the tales and wish there was more video from those day. I saw some, but was too young to recall.

Robert James was a favorite too, but that ended far too soon. How long was he there? It was a knee as I recall. Amazing how the medical side has improved.

Edited by Augie

School buses at the Rockpile! Ha! I didn't even remember that until I just read it. We took a bus in a few times, but not sure if I was on a school bus. I DO remember seeing them in the area and thinking it was strange, and I was born the same month the Bills were.

And I didn't realize Butch Byrd was that big. My sister used to babysit for them and I played with his son. I'm lucky he was a nice guy after I crushed and egg and sprayed him with it all over his suit one time. Long story, but kids do stupid things....

Bruce at #5 is just crazy talk.

Ummm....5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (Bruce Smith)

Trust me, Billy Shaw. As I said earlier, he helped define a position. The only HOFer who never played in the NFL. Shaw has to be a part of any conversation about all time Bills greats.

GO BILLS!!!

Hondo, that's HYSTERICAL! Love the tales and wish there was more video from those day. I saw some, but was too young to recall.

Robert James was a favorite too, but that ended far too soon. How long was he there? It was a knee as I recall. Amazing how the medical side has improved.

James would have been a first ballot HOFer if not for getting hurt. He was a shutdown CB before they ever invented the phrase.

GO BILLS!!!

Cookie was quite a character. I wish a current Bill had the cojones to go to the Pats bench and say, "Which one of you f*ckers are next?!?!" And the size/talent to make the threat frightening.

James is another almost-forgotten Bills hero.

James was returning an interception when he suffered the career ending knee injury. I was at that game and saw my favorite player go down. It seemed like the air went out of the stadium. Good comment about today's medical improvements. I wonder if he may have been able to come back if it happened in this era.

For those under-appreciating Cookie, he averaged 4.5 yards per carry for the Bills. And, admittedly, his best years may have been in Canada before joining the NFL.

Thurman averaged 4.2 yards per carry in his Bills career.

Cookie was a beast: 6'3", 250 lbs, and mean. In 1962, he rushed for 1000+ yards (in a 14 games season) at 5.1 yards per pop, ran for 13 TD, caught 2 TD passes, and kicked 8 FGs, and was named the AFL MVP.

Cookie led the AFL in rushing 2 of the 3 years he played for the Bills.

There's all sorts of great stories and comments about Cookie, for example:

“Whoever’d run up, he’d run at him and then run over him,” his former Bills teammate Booker Edgerson, a defensive back, told Jeff Miller in “Going Long,” a history of the A.F.L. “A lot of guys said, ‘Why don’t you sidestep and run around?’ He said: ‘I want to teach them a lesson. If I run over ’em, they won’t come up anymore.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/sports/11gilchrist.html?_r=1

The Bills had to win to host the AFL Championship game six days later. The atmosphere was tense, the room quiet.

"Cookie stood up," Maguire recalled, "and said 'I'm going to tell you something. If we don't win this game, I'm going to beat the s--- out of everybody in this locker room.' "

Just then, Bills head coach Lou Saban and assistants Joe Collier, Jerry Smith and John Mazur unwittingly walked into their star fullback's escalating fury.

Maguire continued: "Cookie pointed and said, 'And I'm going to start with you, Coach. I'm going to kick your ass first.' I just sat back in my locker. I knew he meant it."

On the first play of the game, Gilchrist took a handoff from Jack Kemp and trucked helpless Patriots safety Chuck Shonta. [Cookie knocked Shonta unconcious].

"Cookie ran right over his ass," said Maguire, the Bills' popular linebacker and punter. "Then he went up to Bob Dee, who was the defensive end, and says 'You're next.' Kemp came over the sideline and said 'We've got to get him out of there. He's going to kill somebody.' "

[According to other unsanitized versions of the story, Cookie went the Pats bench and shouted, "Which one of you f*ckers are next?!?!"]

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/24656/cookie-gilchrist-rumbled-right-until-the-end

OMG I love this stuff. I might have anew hero !!! seriously. Nearly brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for the share :thumbsup::worthy:

Hondo, that is great. I remember when Gilchrist was traded and how the Bills tried to sell the fans on Billy Joe. What an awful trade.

As to the Stratton, Sestak argument, Stratton played twice as long for the Bills. That's not to take anything away from Sestak, but it has to be considered.