Euro 2016...just sayin'

Cugalabanza

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question: At the end of the Germany France game the French fans and players did the Icelandic clap thing. I thought that was an Iceland thing? Did France just steal it because it was cool?

In short; yes.

Long answer is that the fans of Icelandic club FC Stjarnan (who's players have some of the best coordinated celebrations ever) learned the clap while playing SPL team Motherwell a couple of years ago. They adopted it and, because it's a small country, the national team fans adopted it in due course.

Similar to Man City "doing the Poznan" which they learned from Lech Poznan fans at the Etihad a few years back.

Edited by Blokestradamus

In short; yes.

Long answer is that the fans of Icelandic club FC Stjarnan (who's players have some of the best coordinated celebrations ever) learned the clap while playing SPL team Motherwell a couple of years ago. They adopted it and, because it's a small country, the national team fans adopted it in due course.

Similar to Man City "doing the Poznan" which they learned from Lech Poznan fans at the Etihad a few years back.

Geez I thought it was an old Viking war chant , now you ruined it for me thanx :P

Griezmann's celebration is a dedication to Drake's hotline bling :lol:

lame

Wow! Cheers, CBF.

My CONGRATULATIONS too CBF!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hats off to France. They were amazing and in the first half I thought Portugal had no chance.

I'm so happy then won and so happy they proved they could win without Ronaldo

I also have to give props to Ronaldo. I still think he is a whiney baby at times but to see him on the sidelines yelling and coaching players was something great and shows that he is a true leader for this team.

CBF

Euro-Cup-2016-566x377.jpg

CBF

Congrats to your team. Happy for you. My wife is Portuguese. She was so down in the first half and then her enthusiasm built up all through the remainder of the game.

What annoyed me was the post-game comments by every single ESPN commentator. They couldn't help but crap all over the winners. Not one positive thing was said about Portugal's team or victory. Couldn't even say "good game", "resilient team effort", "they were underdogs even before their all-time great player went out"...nothing.

They just bitched about how the game was boring and how they shouldn't have gotten out of their group and had an easy time of it on their side of the bracket. Sounded like a bunch of idiots at the local bar who put all their money down on France. I wanted to watch the celebration -- I should have muted the sound on the T.V. but I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Congrats to your team. Happy for you. My wife is Portuguese. She was so down in the first half and then her enthusiasm built up all through the remainder of the game.

What annoyed me was the post-game comments by every single ESPN commentator. They couldn't help but crap all over the winners. Not one positive thing was said about Portugal's team or victory. Couldn't even say "good game", "resilient team effort", "they were underdogs even before their all-time great player went out"...nothing.

They just bitched about how the game was boring and how they shouldn't have gotten out of their group and had an easy time of it on their side of the bracket. Sounded like a bunch of idiots at the local bar who put all their money down on France. I wanted to watch the celebration -- I should have muted the sound on the T.V. but I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I felt the exact same way but the longer the game went on, the more confident I felt. It was amazing.

I agree the commentators where brutal and even heard some say "the wrong team won"

As weird as it sounds, I'm SO GLAD they won without Ronaldo. Now people cant say Portugal is a one man team.

I do have to give credit to France. They played AMAZING and if Portugal's goalie wasnt lights out like he was, then they would be the ones hoisting the cup

CBF

I thought Portugal played an excellent game. The feel of the game definitely changed when Ronaldo went out--it became a little bit of a grind-it-out effort, but they did it extremely well. For most of regulation, France was creating better chances. The goalie was clearly the man of the match. In extra time though, I could feel Portugal pulling away, like France was running out of steam. All in all, the better team won. And I thought it was great to watch. Lots of drama and lots of skill on display all over the field.

Edited by Cugalabanza

I thought Portugal played an excellent game. The feel of the game definitely changed when Ronaldo went out--it became a little bit of a grind-it-out effort, but they did it extremely well. For most of regulation, France was creating better chances. The goalie was clearly the man of the match. In extra time though, I could feel Portugal pulling away, like France was running out of steam. All in all, the better team won. And I thought it was great to watch. Lots of drama and lots of skill on display all over the field.

Well said!

CBF

I agree with the commentators but it would be hypocritical of me since Italy played Ghana --> USA --> Czech Rep --> Australia --> Ukraine before finally having to play Germany and then France for the 2006 World Cup.

You take what the tournament gives you and you make the most of it and Portugal finally did it.

Good on them.

I agree with the commentators but it would be hypocritical of me since Italy played Ghana --> USA --> Czech Rep --> Australia --> Ukraine before finally having to play Germany and then France for the 2006 World Cup.

You take what the tournament gives you and you make the most of it and Portugal finally did it.

Good on them.

I remember that Italy / USA game in 2006. It was a 1-1 tie and the U.S. played almost the entire second half a man down (10 vs. 9!). It was a crazy, tense game. Actually, the U.S. was the better team that day in my opinion. Landon Donovan really impressed me--he busted his ass all over the field, especially once they were down to 9 players.

Good on them.

I'm not saying that their complaints were totally without merit. Just save it for a different time. They couldn't find anything to say. Not even, "boy, Portugal really had to change gears there and make it a defense-first, team effort to win". Everyone knew that the longer it went, the better Portugal's chances would have become. And they pulled it off with stellar goaltending and by preventing second chances as much as possible.

I agree the commentators where brutal and even heard some say "the wrong team won"

As weird as it sounds, I'm SO GLAD they won without Ronaldo. Now people cant say Portugal is a one man team.

CBF

Hard to say the wrong team won when it genuinely took a team effort to overcome the loss of Ronaldo I'd say the opposite. France is studded with great players and losing one of them wouldn't have hurt so much.

I remember that Italy / USA game in 2006. It was a 1-1 tie and the U.S. played almost the entire second half a man down (10 vs. 9!). It was a crazy, tense game. Actually, the U.S. was the better team that day in my opinion. Landon Donovan really impressed me--he busted his ass all over the field, especially once they were down to 9 players.

Your memory is a little off. De Rossi got a red card for elbowing someone and was banned up to the final where he came in in the second half and converted a PK.

Also, USA only managed to score because Zaccardo scored in his own net. He literally did not play one more minute of that tournament and the guy who replaced him was the guy who drew the PK against Australia, scored the winning goal against Germany and scored the winning PK against France in the shootout :lol:

So basically, USA was the only team who managed to score on Italy in regular play and that lead to the chain of events that allowed Italy to win the WC. Thanks :P