PFF Ranks NFL CB Groups

@PFF

Ranking all 32 NFL cornerback groups, starting with @ChrisHarrisJr and @Broncos at No. 1. http://pffoc.us/25LJVSN

CkbdEWnXIAAd1Ed.jpg

5. Buffalo Bills

Top CBs: Ronald Darby, Stephon Gilmore, Sterling Moore

Key stat: Darby and Gilmore combined for a 5.1 coverage snaps per target mark in 2015.

Rex Ryan’s aggressive scheme puts a lot of pressure on his cornerbacks, and unsurprisingly, both Darby and Gilmore were among the league’s most-targeted corners last season (tied for fourth-most) on a per-snap basis. Both stood up to that examination well, and Sterling Moore should provide an upgrade—if he wins the job—over Nickell Robey at slot corner. Robey has allowed 1,041 receiving yards and a passer rating north of 100.0 over the past two seasons combined.

@PFF

Ranking all 32 NFL cornerback groups, starting with @ChrisHarrisJr and @Broncos at No. 1. http://pffoc.us/25LJVSN

CkbdEWnXIAAd1Ed.jpg

5. Buffalo Bills

Top CBs: Ronald Darby, Stephon Gilmore, Sterling Moore

Key stat: Darby and Gilmore combined for a 5.1 coverage snaps per target mark in 2015.

Rex Ryan’s aggressive scheme puts a lot of pressure on his cornerbacks, and unsurprisingly, both Darby and Gilmore were among the league’s most-targeted corners last season (tied for fourth-most) on a per-snap basis. Both stood up to that examination well, and Sterling Moore should provide an upgrade—if he wins the job—over Nickell Robey at slot corner. Robey has allowed 1,041 receiving yards and a passer rating north of 100.0 over the past two seasons combined.

So Moore is an upgrade over Robey, but he might not win the job?

If either of these guys could provide an upgrade over Robey that would be big for the Bills D this year. I respect what Robey has done as much as the next guy, but the fact is he is often exploited in coverage. Without McKelvin, they need at least one of these corners to step up or it will be a long year.

On another note, the Broncos could be in trouble with Talib. Even if he recovers from the gunshot wound, he may be headed for big legal trouble and potential suspension.

Edited by MDFan

So Moore is an upgrade over Robey, but he might not win the job?

but if he does beat him out, he will likely be an upgrade.

Kevon Seymour might be the guy.

probably not this year, but long term id say very possible.

If either of these guys could provide an upgrade over Robey that would be big for the Bills D this year. I respect what Robey has done as much as the next guy, but the fact is he is often exploited in coverage. Without McKelvin, they need at least one of these corners to step up or it will be a long year.

On another note, the Broncos could be in trouble with Talib. Even if he recovers from the gunshot wound, he may be headed for big legal trouble and potential suspension.

Agreed on all fronts. I have been a big Robey fan but he really struggled last year. I like him coming off of the edge but I worry about him in coverage.

Darby and Gilmore are studs and it sounds like Seymour may be a diamond in the rough.

Agreed on all fronts. I have been a big Robey fan but he really struggled last year. I like him coming off of the edge but I worry about him in coverage.

Darby and Gilmore are studs and it sounds like Seymour may be a diamond in the rough.

since his first day ive said it seems he does much better moving forward than he does turning and running with a guy. i dont know that the stats/pff rankings/whatever bear that out -- but anecdotally from just watching the games live, it does seem like a guy that i want moving towards the line and not with his back to it.

Robey has to face Edelman and Landry 4 times a years. Robey is a good player.

Robey is not a good player. He is marginal. He can blitz off the edge when the blitz package is disguised. But overall he gets beat a lot because he is small. I would not be surprised if he doesn't make the team this year. Sterling Moore, Corey White, Mario Butler and Kevon Seymour all have more upside.