CBS Sports: 2016 NFL Strength of Schedule for All 32 Teams

NFL strength of schedule: Breaking down home vs. road and more for all 32 teams

The NFL schedule for the 2016 season was announced about a month and a half ago. The schedule won't start being played for another four months. But that doesn't mean there aren't things we can learn right now.

Which teams have the toughest and easiest slate of games at home and on the road? Which teams are set up well to get off the hot starts, which might stumble out of the gate, and who is in position to finish strong or crumble down the stretch? Check out the breakdowns below to find out.

Things always change to some degree year to year, but for those who summarily dismiss strength of schedule, it is not like the Cardinals, Jets, and Patriots will be pushovers in the first four games.

We'll see. I look at this stuff as just a data point. I do think it's a harder schedule generally over last year when we played the NFCE and AFCS. Then again, how could anyone predict the 12-4 Cowboys were going into a tailspin the next year.

This really means nothing, but I thought it odd that the AFC East is all clumped together in spots 8-11. What are the chances of that? I guess we play the same teams for the most part, but other divisions are not grouped that tightly.

Things always change to some degree year to year, but for those who summarily dismiss strength of schedule, it is not like the Cardinals, Jets, and Patriots will be pushovers in the first four games.

We'll see. I look at this stuff as just a data point. I do think it's a harder schedule generally over last year when we played the NFCE and AFCS. Then again, how could anyone predict the 12-4 Cowboys were going into a tailspin the next year.

No one could predict the NFC East fall and the Colts fall. At this time last year Dallas and Indy was a possible Super Bowl matchup.

We also only play Brady 1 time as of right now. We dont play KC. There are a couple scary games, @ Seattle tops the list but its a typical schedule. Oakland and Jacksonville are a real wildcard. If they do become winning teams next year like some predict, the schedule could be a monster.

But then who knows. Injuries play a huge role.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

No one could predict the NFC East fall and the Colts fall. At this time last year Dallas and Indy was a possible Super Bowl matchup.

We also only play Brady 1 time as of right now. We dont play KC. There are a couple scary games, @ Seattle tops the list but its a typical schedule. Oakland and Jacksonville are a real wildcard. If they do become winning teams next year like some predict, the schedule could be a monster.

But then who knows. Injuries play a huge role.

well done to point out raiders and jags

To be more successful from a predictive point of view, quick returns should be accounted for in some manner. Also, opponents who are coming off the bye and Thrusday night games. I assume some stats exist, and some smart guy will do an analysis, and come up with a modified list accounting for those factors. He will probabily write a column in a newspaper, and we can then all forget it. They still have to play the games one at a time.

The NFL doesn't really schedule to balance strength of schedule, but rather opponents over time, so every team deals with this.

Really? I thought they worked on a SOS formula and it balanced out over time, but I don't really know.

This really means nothing, but I thought it odd that the AFC East is all clumped together in spots 8-11. What are the chances of that?

Since we all play the same 2 divisions, it's not a stretch.

Really? I thought they worked on a SOS formula and it balanced out over time, but I don't really know.

Only 2 games are based on W/L record. Otherwise we simply rotate divisions in the AFC/NFC each year. You can determine 14 of the 16 games for any given year -- even decades into the future (assuming no expansion).