Jerel Worthy Impressing Bills' Coaching Staff

Bills Defensive Lineman Proving Himself Worthy

jerel-worthy-story.jpg

Bills DL Jerel Worthy is trying to capitalize on the chance to fill a rotational role in Buffalo's defensive front.

The temperature is rising, summer has begun and the second week of Buffalo Bills’ organized team activities are complete. The team is packed with 90 players fighting for a spot on the opening day roster. On the defensive side of the ball, third-year defensive lineman Jerel Worthy has gotten some quality reps with the top two units.

It’s no easy feat to stand out when it’s you and 89 others. However early on this offseason, Worthy has been getting in the backfield forcing defensive coaches to take notice.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This article from last year suggests he doesn't think this defense would be the best fit for him

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/08/07/detroit-lions-jerel-worthy/31327075/

After playing for three 3-4 teams to start his career, Worthy said hes happy to be back in a 4-3 scheme not too dissimilar from the one at Michigan State.

In Green Bay and Kansas City, we were two-gapping some, a little less attack and more read type of defense. And it took a lot of adjusting to, Worthy said. But thats not necessarily what Im bred to do. And being back here in Detroit and with the Lions and this great organization, it just allows me to be myself and allow me to go enjoy football.

He was such a beast in college I was surprised he didn't work out with the packers

tore his ACL his rookie year - if he hadn't I wonder if things would have turned out differently. Belichik traded for him but cut him after like a month.

Bills Defensive Lineman Proving Himself Worthy

The temperature is rising, summer has begun and the second week of Buffalo Bills’ organized team activities are complete. The team is packed with 90 players fighting for a spot on the opening day roster. On the defensive side of the ball, third-year defensive lineman Jerel Worthy has gotten some quality reps with the top two units.

It’s no easy feat to stand out when it’s you and 89 others. However early on this offseason, Worthy has been getting in the backfield forcing defensive coaches to take notice.

for lineman, really have to see them in pads going full contact. Hopefully this carries over then.

for lineman, really have to see them in pads going full contact. Hopefully this carries over then.

Even we "realists" need to have a little hope that there is another Hughes out there to be discovered by the Bills. We don't expect them to become pro bowlers like the Kool-aide drinkers might, but we hope they can become real positive contributors to the Bills having a chance at post season play sometime in our lifetimes..That is why we read this board, for info like this to keep our eyes open and heads up on what "background" players to watch during the preseason.

This article from last year suggests he doesn't think this defense would be the best fit for him

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/08/07/detroit-lions-jerel-worthy/31327075/

According to Rex we are running a 5-2 front this year, among other fronts, but he specifically mentioned 5-2. A 5-2 is an attacking 1 gap responsibility defense.

Images for clarity.

A typical base 3-4 alignment, this isn't what we run:

3-4-gaps1.png?w=549

A typical base 3-4 under (5-2) alignment:

3-4-under-gaps.png

And so fans can see the difference between a 3-4 under and a 4-3 under. Not a big difference. This is the base defense we ran under Pettine. Dareus played the shade NT.

4-3-under-gaps.png?w=746&h=465

Read more about it here. https://trojanfootballstatistics.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/clancy-pendergast-the-5-2-defensive-front/

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Worthy is a guy that I'm excited for. He was a great college player and now has low expectations. If he can be a rotational guy (which it sounds like he can) that will be a huge win.

Rex mentioned him last year it seemed towards the end of the season ?

According to Rex we are running a 5-2 front this year, among other fronts, but he specifically mentioned 5-2. A 5-2 is an attacking 1 gap responsibility defense.

Images for clarity.

A typical base 3-4 alignment, this isn't what we run:

3-4-gaps1.png?w=549

A typical base 3-4 under (5-2) alignment:

3-4-under-gaps.png

And so fans can see the difference between a 3-4 under and a 4-3 under. Not a big difference. This is the base defense we ran under Pettine. Dareus played the shade NT.

4-3-under-gaps.png?w=746&h=465

Read more about it here. https://trojanfootballstatistics.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/clancy-pendergast-the-5-2-defensive-front/

Nice post, folks get confused sometimes about alignments.

and keep in mind the "look " can change quickly regardless of personnel.

That defines a Rex defense

When I watch guys like this I also watch the moves of the front office itself

Notice that we have not really made super aggressive moves at that position in this offseason (and yes I know there is a cap...teams still make moves if they feel they have a glaring weakness at a position)

To me this signals that they have players on the team (both at this position and at the WR position) that they feel can do the job.

When you are trying to resign your own high cost players....you NEED players like this to fill in the gaps financially.

Notice that we have not really made super aggressive moves at that position in this offseason (and yes I know there is a cap...teams still make moves if they feel they have a glaring weakness at a position)

To me this signals that they have players on the team (both at this position and at the WR position) that they feel can do the job.

When you are trying to resign your own high cost players....you NEED players like this to fill in the gaps financially.

That's an interesting take John. To take it a step further they love to see the unlike guys gets reps at this point of the year. They are letting Worthy and the WRs get the opportunity. If they decide that they need help they can add vets before camp that take less time to get up to speed.

If you consider the injury and setback in his development he might have more to offer than just a rotational player.

Lets see what Dunbar Blake can do with him!